Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old June 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
New Forum User

Inserting Still Photos into Video

I am very interested in buying Adobe Premiere Elements but first I would like to know if it does what I need it to do. Is it possible to insert a still photo into a home video in a section of the video and still have the sound continue on where I insert the photo?

An example would be doing an interview and adding a photo over the person being interviewed while the person continues to talk.

I would appreciate any advise/help I can get. Thanks!!
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

If I understand what you want to do, I think it would go like this:

Position the still in Video Track 2 above the section of the video (on Video Track 1) that you want to block out (replace) with the still image. When you do that the video on Video Track 2 blocks whatever is directly underneath it on Video Track 1. So you hear the sound but you are replacing just the view at that section of the video.

Have you consider the Preset PiP (Picture in Picture effect)? There is Chroma Key Effect. There are all sorts of possibilities/variations. Why not download a 30 day free tryout of Premiere Elements 3.0 from Adobe and see if the program meets your expectations?

If I missed the point of your question, please repost and I will give it another try.

ATR
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM
New Forum User

Thank you so much for the fast reply and informative one! Sounds like the program will do exactly what I want.

Thanks!!
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
New Forum User

Inserting Still Photos into Video

I don't want to put GrandaScrapper off buying Elements but I have encountered a problem with inserting still images into Elements 2. I captured some frames from video which were saved as .bmp files and inserted them in video track 2 as you (ATR) advised in your reply. My problem is that although the soundtrack (track 1) is still visible in the timeline, the sound itself cuts out for the duration of the still image. Since the still shot does not have an associated soundtrack, I can't work out what is happening. If I insert a movie clip on video track 2 and delete its associated sound from audio track 2 then audio track 1 continues to play. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

llewellyn150

I have Premiere Elements 2.0, and I cannot replicate your results using a video clip (video/audio) and a saved captured frame (bmp) as the still.

So, here is what I did that worked for me:

(1) Via Get Media, I brought in a video clip (wmv) and dragged it to the Timeline and selected it.
(2) I moved the Timeline’s CTI to the frame which was to become by still. Next, File/Export/Frame. I left the settings there as is, noting that the saved image would be a bmp left as is.
(3) Skipping ahead, the wmv was on Timeline, specifically video portion thumbnail on Video Track 1 and audio portion on Audio Track 1.
(4) Important to note, more details at end, that was all there was on the Timeline, nothing else.
(5) Via Get Media, I brought in the previously saved bmp, and dragged it to Video Track 2. As expected, no audio file was associated with this bmp. So, at this point, all I have is: on video tracks, video thumbnail of wmv on Video Track 1 and bmp on Video Track 2; on audio tracks, ONLY the audio thumbnail of wmv on Audio 1. Here is when I positioned bmp to the desired location. Playback that followed did not have the bmp blocking the audio on Audio Track 1.

From the end description of what was happening there, it almost sounded (no pun intended) like you had one too many audio clips. The following may be involved somehow in how you are reading the situation:

Given: The original Video Clip where the video and audio are linked
(1) If you place a video clip on Video Track 1, the video thumbnail will appear on Video Track 1, and the audio thumbnail will appear on Audio Track 1.
(2) But, if you move the video thumbnail to Video Track 2, the video thumbnail will appear on Video Track 2, BUT the audio thumbnail stays on Audio Track 1.
(3) Further, if you move the video clip to Video Track 3, the video thumbnail will appear on Video Track 3, BUT the audio thumbnail stays on Audio Track 1.
(4) The same situation holds true if you leave the video thumbnail on Video Track 1 and then move the audio thumbnail from 1 to 2 to 3.

Maybe give this another try and let me know how it turns out. It does work, so, if all this does not help, I will have to figure out what I missed.

ATR
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM
New Forum User

Smile

Thanks for your detailed reply. I played around with it again and this time noticed that when I moved the Current-Time Indicator backwards and forwards using the mouse through the section where I added the still image, I could hear the soundtrack sound even though I couldn't hear it in normal 'play' mode, so I left the still image in place and burnt a DVD, and the sound WAS recorded while the still image was displayed. So while the mystery is not solved, at least I know that the soundtrack will record properly.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
New Forum User

I have a question about doing something very similar - I want to black out certain scenes that I don't want in the middle of the video, but I don't want to just put a black bmp/picture in place - I'd like a slightly more graceful transition to black (like the fade effects or any of the other available transitions) and then back to what I want to show again. Is this possible? I only know how to add scene transitions in the sceneline, but I'm not sure what to do in the timeline. (I have Premiere Elements 3 if it makes a difference.)
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

LProof

Sorry, I did not see this post sooner.

This is just an idea to explore. If you have Premiere Elements 3.0, have you updated to Premiere Elements 3.0.0.2 from the Adobe web site downloads? There is a known problem with video track 1 in Premiere Elements 3.0, and this update is supposed to help.

So, with your video on Timeline video track 1 (or 2, if you want), I suggest exploring keyframing your video opacity (0%, for blackout, 100% for full view). If you have not encountered keyframing before, check out the keyframing video in the Learning Center (a non subscriber area) of this web site. Although keyframing in the Learning Center video involved scale and position and two tracks, the principles apply to opacity here using just your one video track. There are also some good free keyframing videos at http://www.muvipix.com. Look under Products/Complimentary. If I recall, the two on titles should give you good keyframing exercises.

But, keep an open mind and explore.

ATR