Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old May 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Casual Forum User

Elements 5 and Lightroom II

Howdy all:
Before I went on vacation I posted a thread about the relationship, of these 2 programs and if and how would they work together.This is the reason for the II after the title. To my surprice upon arriving home the Elements Technique Magazine was awaiting me. So I took a pick at it and founded and article on page 17 by Dave Huss addressing my question.

The only thing is that even do he stated that they are made for each other specially if you use a Mac computer for the vertion of PSE5 in the Macs do not have the Organizer ( I never new that so I lerned something new). Now that is well and nice but he fails to explain how do you get the Organizer inactive so that Lightroom takes over the duties of the Organizer when you use Windows.

So my question to Mr. Dave Huss or any of you for that matter that may be able to anwer it is... how do you get both programs in sync? I would appreciate a step by step explination for I'm not a computer wizard, LOL. My gratitude to you all in this matter.

Don
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Don,

You can "disable" Organiser from the opening splash screen. At bottom left there's a dropdown entitled "Start Up In". Choose "Editor", and Organiser will no longer start.

(If the splash screen does not show up on startup, then go to the Window>Welcome menu option from either Organiser or Editor. This will make it visible.)

Organiser will no longer appear unless you explicitly start it, either from a shortcut, or by choosing one of the Create options in Editor.

You'll then need to configure Lightroom to use PSE as its Editor. I don't have a copy of Lightroom, so can't really advise you. However, accordoing to the Lightroom User Manual, there is a menu option Photo>Edit In Adobe Photoshop Elements available if Elements is installed.

There are a number of threads already on the forum about Lightroom and Elements, so if you search on those as keywords, you should find something. This is one that specifically addresses Lightroom as an Organiser replacement:

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...ight=lightroom

(It is based on the beta, so there may have been changes. I've no idea.)

Nick
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I have the retail version of Lightroom, and after installation, it defaulted to CS2 being my primary editor, presumably because that's what it found on this laptop. Under Edit>Preferences, it gives you an opportunity to choose an alternate external editor. You have to navigate through the folders to find PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe under Program Files>Adobe>Photoshop Elements 5.0, but once you find it, I believe that's all you need to do.

LR5, PSE10, CS6, Canon, Fuji, iMac
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Casual Forum User

Angry Elements 5 and Lightroom II

Chuck and Nick:
So base on the link Nick gave me this Elements and Lightroom "marrige" seems to be full of complications. I guest the LR developers never thought about the Elements users much. Seems their main concern was PS CS2 and CS3.

If what Colin is saying on that thread is correct and I see no reason why is not then the article by Dave Huss on the Elements Technique Magazine on this subject is a bad joke for he gives the impression that the process is a pc.of cake which is not base on hands on experience by Colin whom seems to have good knowledge of what he is talking about.

Thank you my friends, let's see were all this will end.

Don
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I think the issues that Colin is flagging up relate mainly to the import of an already existing Elements catalog, rather than the integration of Elements and Lightroom for new work.

Unfortunately, most programs do implicitly impose paradigms on the way you work. It's not uncommon for that to present difficulties when you come to migrate existing data.

At the end of the day, it's not surprising that Elements was lower down the priority list in LR design than mainstream Photoshop. The Lightroom/Photoshop alignment seems to me to be targeted at offering a package to the pro market similar to what PSE's Organiser/Editor combination offer the amateur.

Bugs are a disappointment, though.

Nick
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Casual Forum User

I have Elements 5 and Lightroom and I think the integration is pretty good.

Lightroom automatically recognised that Elements was installed and added "Edit in Elements" to the menu with the default CTRL-E keyboard shortcut.

It also has "import from Elements" on the file menu... which I assume to be the option to import a database with tags etc from the Elements Organiser. I haven't tried that though.

My only disappointment is that passing a file to Elements for editing has to be done via an intermediate .PSD file rather than being passed in memory.

Gareth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.