Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Question CS3 price unfair? Petition?

Is the information here correct? I did not sign. Don't like the idea of putting my information out there but I did wonder if it is true?

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...-software.html

Comments.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

CS3 Extended is 1836.94 USD in Germany, 999.00 USD in North America. Both prices are from the Adobe online shop. That's 183% of the USA price, so I guess that is correct.
CS3 is 1457.86 USD in Germany, 649.00 USD in North America. And that is a whopping 224%. That is why I like to buy US for a lot of things. No shipping fees are that expensive!

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
- Albert Einstein

Equipment: PSE5 and CS3 on XP MCE and XP, Panasonic Lumix FZ7,
Canon PIXMA iP5200R, and FIREFOX (Whatever the latest version is...)

Old April 20th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

Prices in the UK are just as bad ... and its not a case of special language editions for the UK its just the US editions that we get.

CS3 Extended is £857 ... that is $1718
CS3 is £569 .... that is $1140

... and PSE5 is £69 ... that is $138

Ummm ...

Wendy

"

Old April 20th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Senior Contributor

That's why I bought my copy of PSE3 in the States (it helps having a daughter living there!!) I intend to do the same soon for PSE5 especially with there being currently $2 to the £! I really object to paying double for the same thing

Bayla

and

Old April 20th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Casual Forum User

I have a real problem with these pricing structures.
A programme I nearly purchased for my wife:-
USD 29.95...Post and packaging to UK USD 63.50. Total USD 93.45!
It's only a CD

I purchased my PSE 5, an OED version, off EBay at less than half the UK price.

Old April 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Whoa! That is some incredible pricing!
I'll be sticking to my PSE versions, and continue buying on sale.
m
PSP x3

My Scrapbook galleries

and
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

I read if you are upgrading from CS2 to CS3 it's around $200.00 maybe less, I'll try to find the info

Rob's new website

Old April 20th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Known Forum User

The upgrade from CS2 to CS3 extended costs around $800 here. This is a huge difference. The retail price will exceed $2000. They still used to sell CS2 for $1800 by the end of 2006!

The petition followed a discussion at the NAPP forums. I am not sure who is responsible for this terrible price differential. Is it Adobe? Is it the EU? This is what Danielle Libine is asking Adobe to explain. The EU should also give an explanation about this issue.

My opinion: these price differentials do not help in fighting software piracy (which causes turnover loss, job cutouts, etc). I think that Adobe should take this petition seriously into account. 6500 people have already signed it.

Old April 20th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Panos, thanks for the explanation. I will stick with PSE5 for now.

PSE6; Nikon D80; Premiere Elements 4.
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I take no sides in the price debate but keep in mind a few things...

1. Local Taxes vary. Most US prices are pre-tax, while UK prices included tax.

2. When downloading from Adobes UK Web Site you will be paying Irish VAT rates which I think are at 21% compared with the UK at 17.5%

3. When using a credit card to purchase overseas items you will pay an additional handling charge on foreign currency transactions plus get a lousy exchange rate.

4. Adobe products are often cheaper from the likes of Amazon UK or even some of the 'PC' on line retailers like Ebuyer and Dabs. I cancelled my Adobe direct order for Lightroom when Dabs had it a significantly lower price including delivery.

5. The price is determined by what people will pay for it and enough people will just buy it as advertised.

Colin