Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old August 6th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Processing a green screen image

I've taken a picture of my daughter against a green screen. When I use the selection tool to select her, I still have remnants of the green screen all around her. I used an eraser with a soft edge to remove some of it, but I lose a lot of detail. I've posted a shot here that shows the remnants. Look at about 3 o'clock from the center of her face.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...M79Zr4fpxqf0U0

Any suggestions for softening the selection or removing just the green from the greenscreen?

Here's the original.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...BtZ5yMAyaO2rD0

The next step is modifying the green screen image to look like it could have been part of the original... I leave that for another day.

Brice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Casual Forum User

Brice,
I think there is a way something about when selecting you set the boundry but for the life of me I can't remember. ops: I will dig thru my notes or someone else will know how to do it.
SarahMB
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Brice

Its going to be tough in the hair area. I think maybe what Sarah was refering to in her prev post was, once you have made the selection go to Selelct>modify>contract. Contract 1 or 2 pixels and then do the same with Select>feather same number of pixels. Im not sure if this will help in this case but worth a shot.

Gary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 6th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Your daughter is beautiful! I tried it a little differently - I used the magic wand to select the green. I magnified it a bit in the problem areas and set the magic wand to 25 tolerance. Then I selected the inverse - contracted it one pixel and Ctrl + J to put it on a new layer.

May I ask how did you set up the green screen? Is it a special fabric?

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...UdTfPQ3nGkgv8y

Old August 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Specil Fabric

Mary, that fabric is super special. I went to Wal-Mart and bought 2 yards of the ugliest green fabric I could find. It cost me all of $4.37 ++. I should have ironed it and placed it more carefully. I was just fooling around.

All the methods seem like a good idea, especially the contrac then feather method. I'll give it a shot.

Once I have that mastered, we'll need to move onto part two to better blend the images so that the photos look a little more realistic. I'll post my results using these methods and we'll see if it's starting to look any better.

Brice

Old August 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Walmart eh? Now that I live close to one I am trying to find reasons to go there and you have just given me a good one. I am definitely going to try it out. Thanks for sharing your super high tech photography tool.

Old August 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to kerriann85
Ah Wallyworld, gotta love it. I found a king sized blue sheet on sale for 6 bucks for a handy background and some nice gray felt pretty cheap (tho the felt was only big enuf for head shots)