Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
New Forum User

How do I convert a .psd to a vector?

I created a logo for someone and in order for a company to put that logo on merchandise, they need it to be in vector format. ???????? I'm sure there's an answer right in front of me, but I can't seem to find it. Please help!!

(I have PSE 5.0.)

Thanks!

Kimberly
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Sadly it's not right in front of you - Elements has only limited support for vector graphics (shapes are vector graphics). You would need to use a program like Adobe Illustrator to create vector graphics. Maybe someone here has other suggestions.

Tony
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

I can't think of a way to do this in Elements ..

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old February 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

vector isn't a format, it's a kind of file - like .psd, .jpg & png are bitmap (raster) images (images made up of millions of pixels), Vector images are based on mathematical curves rather than pixels, so they scale to any size without any degradation - they're created by software like Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, or Xara.

Ask what kind of vector they want - they might want an Illustrator file (*.ai) -

in any case, PSE5 can't do vector output

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
New Forum User

Wendy,

I am under the impression that a .pdf is a vector file and PSE 6.0 can produce PDF files. Will this include vectors for the drawing if the following is done. I create an image in PSE using only vector shapes and vector text and then save it as a .pdf, will I have a vector image file? If not, is Illustrator my only alternative?

Steve
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Steve: I was about to say no - that the Photoshop PDF file format doesn't support vector images but I thought I better check and found much to my surprise that I was wrong. If you have only shape layers and text layers then saving as a pdf does preserve the vector layers.

Thanks for teaching me something I didn't know. And that could be useful because when you open it in Acrobat Reader it's scaleable - blow it up to any size you want and there's no pixellation.

Tony
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Enlightened Elder

Oh I didn't know that either ... thanks for checking it out Tony

Wendy

"

Old August 12th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Known Forum User

Send a message via AIM to David Asch
The only way i can see to do what is being asked is to use merged shape layers; which is so laborious, it would be less stressful to knock on every door in the neighbourhood to see if someone has Photoshop or Illustrator! And even then, it would have to be converted to a proper format first.

What we need is a basic way of creating custom shapes in Elements, like Photoshop's Make Work Path command which converts a selection into a vector path.

It must be Thursday, I could never get the hang of Thursdays.

System: MacPro Dual Quad 2.8GHz, Wacom Bamboo Touch.
Software: Photoshop CS4. Elements 10
Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Asch View Post
The only way i can see to do what is being asked is to use merged shape layers; which is so laborious, it would be less stressful to knock on every door in the neighbourhood to see if someone has Photoshop or Illustrator! And even then, it would have to be converted to a proper format first.

What we need is a basic way of creating custom shapes in Elements, like Photoshop's Make Work Path command which converts a selection into a vector path.
David: In fact you can do that in Elements. Elements understands the Make Work Path command so you can write an action that will convert any selection to a shape from within Elements. Richard Lynch did that for Hidden Elements and it works in all versions I've used it in including PSE6. You can also convert text layers to shape layers which is handy because it then becomes font independent. And if you then save as a Photoshop Pdf file you preserve the vector format (as would a psd file). The one thing you can't do (or I haven't figured out how to do it) is save it as a custom shape so if you want it as a csh file you'd need to borrow Photoshop to do it.

So it would be possible to create a vector logo in Elements although this is getting a bit beyond the "Elements for Beginners" topic .

Tony
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mack posted this site for online conversion to a vector in the helpful links subforum:

http://vectormagic.com/

Looks like you can do two images free with registration before buying anything.
PS 6, Mac OS 9.2
PET Subscriber since July 2007