Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 13th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Known Forum User

All I wanted to do was..

get rid of the small candlestick that was sticking out of her head. None of the tools are working for me. I thought the clone tool would be the tool to use but it didn't work for me. It would cover her hair with the pixels I wanted, but I didn't want her hair covered!!!!! What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon D200, D50, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 35mm, 18-70 , Sb800, SB600, Manfrotto tripod and ballhead
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via MSN to Medic1210 Send a message via Yahoo to Medic1210
You know what they say... A picture is worth a thousand words. Post the pic so we can get a better idea of how you need to handle it.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Brenda, are you using the clone tool? I find that removing something in a little bit of a tricky spot requires switching brushes and using the zoom in certain areas. For example, if you are using a soft brush at an edge or near her hair, it may bleed in to an area that you don't want it to. I would also recommend frequent sampling when in a busy area. Hope this helps

iMac, Canon Digital Rebel

Old February 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Carol, I use the clone tool a lot, but I didn't know to try the frequent sampling you sugessed.

PSE6; Nikon D80; Premiere Elements 4.
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Known Forum User

O.K. I'll try to post it tonight. See how you guys would do it and then you can let me know so that maybe I could practice. I didn't think it would have been hard. thanks brenda

Nikon D200, D50, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 35mm, 18-70 , Sb800, SB600, Manfrotto tripod and ballhead
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Brenda

One other thing that catches me all the time is I forget to use a hard edge brush when I need a hard/defined edge. A soft brush when cloning will sometimes overclone(??) outside the brush area.
A soft brush is great for coloning some things but not so good for others.

Old February 14th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Known Forum User

Here's the picture. Please tell me step by step and settings that you used. I don't think a had a hard brush picked. I really dont' understand the brushes very well. Thanks Brenda

Old February 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Brenda:

I am tinking I would use the clone stamp tool. sample the area just to the left or right of the candle and cover it over.

Another thought...make a selection of that part of her head and put it on its own layer. When it is on its own layer, ctrl+ and get the area nice and large. make sure you erase all portions of the candle. Then go back to the layer beneath and make a selection of the area right next to the candle about the same size as the candle. Ctrl c and copy that it another layer.(in between the head selection and the background) then just move that selection over to where it would cover the candle. Done. Does that make sense??????

Canon Rebel xt; Canon 40D; canon 18- 55 mm; canon 75 - 300 mm f/5.6; canon 85mm f/1.8; canon 70-200 2.8 IS; canon 24-70 2.8; canon fisheye lens, cheap monopod; my fathers old wooden tripod, a Quantaray QSX 9002D tripod, 20 inch IMAC and a macbook pro
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is what I came up with

[IMG][/IMG]

Canon Rebel xt; Canon 40D; canon 18- 55 mm; canon 75 - 300 mm f/5.6; canon 85mm f/1.8; canon 70-200 2.8 IS; canon 24-70 2.8; canon fisheye lens, cheap monopod; my fathers old wooden tripod, a Quantaray QSX 9002D tripod, 20 inch IMAC and a macbook pro
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

BrendaC,

You should get through this like a pro. You have a clear shot at that candle. This step by step puta your cloning on a separate layer, so, if you do not like what you have done, just get rid of the separate layer and start again.

1. Your picture is the Background Layer.
2. Control J to duplicate this Background Layer. This duplicate will be named Layer 1.
3. Click "create a new layer" icon to generate a blank layer above Layer 1. The blank layer is named Layer 2.
4. Select the Clone Stamp Tool in the Toolbox. In the Options Bar at the top make sure that "Aligned" and "Use All Layers" are checked.
5. Highlight Layer 2 (that is correct, the new blank layer)
6. On the screen, Alt click a good clean background area near her head. Release the mouse. Take your cursor near the candle and click away to clone away the candle. It is a quick job, 30 seconds or less. You can play with brush sizes and the like and refine your techniques once you get the basic idea.

The beauty of this way is
(a) you can always trash Layer 2 and start again if not happy with the results
(b) you can adjust the Opacity of Layer 2 if needed
(c) can always flatten layers or leave as is

ATR

Play it safe and reset all tools before you start...just in case.