Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Casual Forum User

Purple Fringe On Photos. Why????

I am taking photos with a canon EOS 30D and a 17 to 85 IS USM lens. I have noticed an annoying purple fringe in my photos especially in the areas where there is high contrast such as a dark area meets a very bright area as with landscape photos. What causes this and can I lessen the effect? I am not sure if it is the program or it is actually on the photo file itself. I have fixed areas on the photo by cloning out the purple but it gets to be a real pain in the rear when I have a lot of high contrast areas. A little enlightning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Steve ...

... its called Chromatic aberration ... here is a little more info on it and hopefully some suggestions on removing it

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...ead.php?t=2112

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old February 6th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Sadly the lens correction filter included with PSE5 doesn't have a chromatic aberration correction although the CS2/CS3 one does (and if you can get hold of a copy it works in PSE5). Another option is PTLens from http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html . An excellent add-in.

Purple fringing does have other causes besides lens chromatic aberration and digital sensors can cause it too. It's most likely when you use wide angle, wide apertures (f4 or lower) and have a high contrast between background and foreground (eg tree branches against the sky). Using a lens hood helps minimize it too.

Tony
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Tony

Did you ever try the plugin from the link Wendy posted?
I had forgotten all about that thread.

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM

Gary: never did - haven't had the problem for a while - must be my new camera

Tony