Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Casual Forum User

Clone Stamp Tool

When using the clone stamp tool I sometimes get a circle showing the brush size so that I know exactly how big the area that I am cloning is and at other times I just get cross-hairs and I have no idea how much of an area I am cloning.

How can I get this tool to always show the circle?

I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks so much for your help.

Wendi
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Wendi.. I know this one.

You will get the cross hair on your brushes if you have the Cap Lock on.
On the other hand if you are trying to get into a very small area it can come in handy.

I had the same problem and asked the same question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Casual Forum User

Well, I'll be darned. I had no idea. I have been frustrated many times because I couldn't see the circle and I didn't know what I was cloning.

Thanks so much Kimi_boo. I just wish I had asked sooner.

Wendi
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Wendy... when I first got here I was scared everyone would thing I was such a lame-o for asking stupid questions. I soon got over that.
One of the great things about this site is that everyone is at different levels. No one is looked down on for being a beginner. Elements can do loads of things but you don't know, if you don't ask.

~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Wink Lame-O Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendi Karen View Post
Well, I'll be darned. I had no idea. I have been frustrated many times because I couldn't see the circle and I didn't know what I was cloning.

Thanks so much Kimi_boo. I just wish I had asked sooner.

Wendi
Just yesterday this same thing happened to me and the first thing I checked was the caps-lock key, since I had read it here once.

I felt the same way as you when I first started. I suffered in silence! I just kept lurking and reading before I had to have some information right away to keep me from dropping my computer off the balcony! Fortunately, Wendy saved my computer by answering my lamo-o question (I had chosen the cookie cutter tool instead of the custom shape tool). After that, I got brave and starting putting in my 2 cents worth and actually helping others who had questions. Then last month I started my gallery. There's no telling what I will do next!

Adobe CC; CS6, Lightroom 5.5, Premiere 11; Elements 11; Canon 70D; Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3i & PowerShot S2IS; Canon EF-S 18-55mm; Canon 55-250mm lens; Canon EF-70-300mm; Canon EFS 10-18mm Ultra Wide Angle lens; Canon EF-S60mm 1:2.8 USM macro lens.
Dell Studio XPS 9100, ATI Radeon HD5670 1 GB GDDR5, 1.5TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM, 9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz, Blu-ray 6X BD-R, DVD+/-RW Drive & 16X DVD+/-RW w/double layer write.
Windows 7 (64)

Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Enlightened Elder

hi there ...

Oh when I think of what that caps lock did to me ... first time it happened I just couldn't sort it out so I uninstalled Element sand then did a reinstall ...

I must have done that 3 times before someone told me about the caps lock

Wendy

"

Old February 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not sure if this helps but your tools readjust to some pictures, try just pressing your bracket key a few times for size increments, this one ( ] ) equals increase tool or brush & this one ( [ ) decreases size of tool or brush. Just make sure selection is off or deselect object

Rob's new website

Old September 25th, 2007, 04:29 PM
New Forum User

clone tool hardness

How does one change the softness, or hardness of the clone tool? There seems to only be two choices either hard or soft and nothing in between. With the soft one my cloning looks "muddy" and the hard one is too hard. Is the an inbetween variation somewhere? Thanks
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Known Forum User

Well, then, I'm a lame-0 too!

I was frustrated too when I got the crosshairs for no apparent reason and couldn't change it back. But, I think I did something even more lame. I must have pressed the "p" key when I thought I was pressing the left bracket key and it changed to the crosshairs. "P" is for precise in the preferences window. (And "D" is for Dummy!)

Old September 25th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrilyn View Post
I was frustrated too when I got the crosshairs for no apparent reason and couldn't change it back. But, I think I did something even more lame. I must have pressed the "p" key when I thought I was pressing the left bracket key and it changed to the crosshairs. "P" is for precise in the preferences window. (And "D" is for Dummy!)
That's a neat shortcut. Thanks, Jerrilyn!

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 135mm f/2.0L, EF 50mm f/1.4