Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Images and Creative Techniques > Show Your Work

Old January 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Red Sky - hill in Maine

I love the effect you used on this old snapshot. It really makes the scene come alive!
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...g.php?id=16480

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Whew, it's almost like it's moving!!
I like your avatar Julie!
kimh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kimh
Im not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:44 AM

(Thanks, Kim. I made avatar with Painter Essentials which came bundled with my Wacom Tablet.)

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

You're right - it does look like it is moving. Real cool effect!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. I wanted to do a sweep to the vista and the motion blur seemed to do that.
This was a slide that was sitting in the closet for 50 years. I never met my Aunt Anita (Nettie to the family.) My mom was named after her. I asked about her and was told she never married and ran an upscale hat shop in Portland Maine. Kind of cool to find out some family history as a sidebar to the scan. I never knew that before I did the photo.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing-after they've tried everything else.

-Winston Churchill-
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Whoooo....

Had to hang onto my desk there for a moment

Very 'moving' effect Steven!! Cool stuff

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via AIM to irishnh
love it!

Hi,
I just wanted to echo the sentiment of others viewing this photo. The motion effect certainly gives you the feeling of gliding in over the hill as your Aunt looks over for the photo. Good work.... did you do much in enhancing colour? I have some slides that I have scanned and it seems that your colour is vivid , where Right out of the scanner mine are kind of on the dull side.

Again .. I love this photo.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Irishnh, and do I have a question for you too! First I will answer yours. Yes, I enhanced the colors. I made a few gradient map adjustment layers, one on the grass, another on the car, one on the land below the hill and one on the clouds. I then masked out what I call overhang. The original color wasn't bad; it's just I wanted to make it a bit more vivid.
Now my question of a shot taken on the same day of my great great aunt in your state. The slide caption says "Skimobile Conway NH '53." I was real curious about this old ski lift. It looks fun, like a ride at an amusement park. Would you know anything about this, and if it has since been replaced by a traditional lift? I realize the shot was taken a long time ago but since I have now found someone to ask who lives in New Hampshire I thought I would ask. By the way, I have done nothing with the color of this slide other than applying curves. Quite a testimony to the old Kodachromes.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing-after they've tried everything else.

-Winston Churchill-
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via AIM to irishnh
skimobile

The skimobile stopped running about 20 years ago. There is a chairlift at Cranmore Mouintain in COnway that is called the Skimobile Express. I believe that was built about 10 years ago. I actually work at Cranmore's sister resort in Lincoln, NH. I did find a little bit of detailed info on their website ... here's the link

http://www.cranmore.com/info/winter/skimobile.asp

I hope this helps.

One more question for you.. having never scanned any slides myself, can you just pop the slides onto a normal flatbed scanner? or do you need to but a special slide scanner? I know my mother has boxes and boxes of my grandfather's old slides and I'd love to preserve them.

Thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

How cool. Love the effect on the picture.
It also neat to have a bit of connection and info here other than ancestry.com too
Have not tried any slide stuff myself to scan and preserve, but it is on the list.
m
PSP x3

My Scrapbook galleries

and