Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old January 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM
New Forum User

Text spacing, where is it?

I select the type tool, type in some text and boom, the spacing between letters is huge, the text looks like "t h i s", and it doesn't matter what the font it.
I can't find any place to adjust the spacing for the letters, except the "Tsume" which is used mainly to adjust it for the orient characters. This Tsume-tool has low limit, so if I add 100% Tsume, it will still look like "t h i s"
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Try this to see if it might help. After selecting the Text tool, look at the top of the work area for the options...see the big T's on the left. If you click on the first T on the left, it will let you Reset Tool. See if resetting the Text tool helps.

Diana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM
New Forum User

Thanks, that makes the spacing normal again
Still no idea how can it have changed, since I don't find a place to change it :P
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

This thread was a big help to me, too. My text was aligning right when I clicked left alignment and vice-versa. I reset, and now it works. Thanks, Diana!

But I too ask how it got changed, because I certainly didn't do it!

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
- Albert Einstein

Equipment: PSE5 and CS3 on XP MCE and XP, Panasonic Lumix FZ7,
Canon PIXMA iP5200R, and FIREFOX (Whatever the latest version is...)

Old January 18th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

You can actually make some changes to the spacing between letters ... but this one is really obscure

In Photoshop you can change the space between the letters ... but Elements doesn't have that ... well there is a sort of workaround.

Go to Preferences ... and tick (check) Show Asian Text Options then restart Elements.
Now select the Text tool click on your image and type
look at the top of the screen and there you have a new symbol (its a curly shape)
Make sure that your text is highlighted, click on the symbol then tick Mojikumi ..
and you will be able to make some changes to the kerning by adjusting the slide.

It hasn't got the flexibility of Photoshop but it does give you some adjustability ..

Wendy

"

Old January 18th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Wendy, that workaround gives 'obscure' a whole new meaning...

Chuck

p.s. Konnichiha!
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

I was playing around with that setting, too, Wendy, thinking maybe that was the trick...but it looks like you can only reduce the spacing, not increase it?

Like others, it also makes me wonder how jlana's tracking was increased in the first place...

Mike