Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old January 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
New Forum User

How to fade a picture

I'm tryign to figure out how to fade a picture to use as a background to have text printed over the top of it. Such as in a wedding bulliten.

Thanks

John
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

John,

There are usually several ways to get to the same effect in PSE, but here are a couple.

Use control J to duplicate your original first.

Put a white layer under your original and then reduce the opacity of your photo using the slider in the layers palette.

or

Go to Enhance, Adjust Lighting, Brightness/Contrast and play with the sliders there until you get the lightness you are looking for.

Hope that helps! (And welcome to the forum. )

A good snapshot stops a moment from running away. ~Eudora Welty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Casual Forum User

Yes, there are many ways to do this as Kim has said.

The ones I find most easy (if you are only wanting to fade part of the image where the text will be):

1. Make a selection with one of the selection tools, put a Feather on the selection, and on a new layer above your original image, fill this selection with White. Then adjust the Opacity of this layer to lighten it, which will let some of the original image show through as a faded image.

or

2. On a new layer above your original, using the brush tool with a soft edge brush, make your foreground color white and just brush the area you want to fade (a large brush works better for this). Then change the Opacity of this layer to lighten it so some of the original photo shows through as a faded image.

If you are wanting to fade the entire photo, Kim's suggestions fit the bill.

Let us know if you need more help!

Jodi

Jodi

Old January 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM
New Forum User

Kim

I was able to do the second suggestion, but was not able to do the first, did not understand "Put a white layer under your original and then reduce the opacity of your photo using the slider in the layers palette" sorry if I sound pretty ignorant but how do I put a white layer under my original?
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via MSN to karen donnybrook
To create a new layer under your photo, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the "create new layer" icon at the top left of the layers palette; to fill it with white go "D" (makes your foreground/background black/white) then Ctrl+backspace.

To lower the opacity of your photo, make sure you are on the photo layer you wish to lighten and click on the word "opacity" at the top right of the layers pallette (a hand and double ended arrow appear) and slide the cursor to the left to fade your photo.

Hope that helps.

Karen

My room at the
and my corner in

Old January 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasars View Post
Kim

I was able to do the second suggestion, but was not able to do the first, did not understand "Put a white layer under your original and then reduce the opacity of your photo using the slider in the layers palette" sorry if I sound pretty ignorant but how do I put a white layer under my original?

John,

Sorry for the confusion, that's why it's good that there is always someone else here to clarify. And remember that there are no questions that you should not ask, I had PSE for several months before I found this forum and learned how to use it! Always ask!

A good snapshot stops a moment from running away. ~Eudora Welty

Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
New Forum User

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! It's a learning process.

John
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via MSN to karen donnybrook
Yes, John, it is a learning process with a very steep curve but it does get easier so hang in there.

Karen

My room at the
and my corner in

Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
New Forum User

Well, we've gottent to one of my major stumbling blocks. So, I've created the white layer, but the other layer is the one I want to "fade" and it's locked. Clicking on the lock doesn't unlock it. What does? Mac, here -- thanks.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi there ...

It would probably be easier if you posted a screen shot of your layers palette on Pixentral.

Hold down the Command key and the Shift Key and your cursor will change shape ... just drag it out over the area you want in the shot and it will take a screenshot and put it on your desktop.

Wendy

"