Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old December 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Known Forum User

Going 5.0 - a few technical q's

Hi all, I have 4.0 which I began learning in Sept. 06. I'm thinking about 5.0 and Best Buy is having a sale today so I think I'll pick it up.
A few questions for the experts.

- I've heard/read conflicting things about whether add-ins will still work in 5.0. I have several additions such as brushes and effects, purchased from online digi-scrapping stores, which I installed by adding the files to their respective pse4 folders. Sorry to be repeating a question but I wasn't sure about the conclusion from other threads. Should they still work, and if so, I assume I'll need to restore them to their folders after upgrading?

Note: I read an Amazon review today that said that NO add-ins work in 5.0 at all- so this has worried me a bit...

- For the install process, I assume I'll install 5 on top of 4 and an upgrade will occur. OR, would be better to fully uninstall 4.0 manually first myself (w. add/remove software) ? From those who've done it, advice on which is better?

- Any other general technical tips or watch-outs for the upgrade process?
(I know I'll need to explore the feature diffs and can do that on my own, but I mean more like technical watch-outs to help the install go OK?

After 4 months learning 4 and now feeling fairly comfy, I'm a bit nervous!PS. I've got plenty of pc horsepower to run it so that's not an issue. 4.0 runs real nice and fast on my machine. Thanks so so so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Upgrade - you won't regret it . All add-ins work - in fact more do in PSE5 than do in PSE4. But they do need to be put in different places but it's very easy to do (lots of help on that available in this forum). You can leave PSE4 on your computer - you just can't have PSE4 and 5 running at the same time.

Whoever wrote that Amazon review didn't know what they were talking about

Tony
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been very happy with my upgrade from 4 to 5.

We have a thread just for vers. 5. I would go thru and read some of the post. There is great info in there. (where to put things, what to do before you install, ect.)

~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Casual Forum User

Every add-on that I've installed in PSE5 has worked just fine, whether it was from a Photoshop site or a digiscrapping store! Love it. I still have PSE4 installed on my computer, but I'm not sure why. I never really learned 4, as version 5 came out a week after I bought 4.

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Simone ...

There seems to be quite few messages around about addins not working with PSE5 ... just don't know why people should think that at all.

I am wondering if its because the install is slightly different for some things and they then assume that things won't install

Do assure you that they do

Wendy

"

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Known Forum User

Thanks for all the great replies!

Now, a question came to mind based on a few of these replies -- it seems the install of 5 leaves 4 intact (ie you then have two versions on your pc.)

So, is it OK to uninstall 4.0 after 5.0 is up? (I would prefer not to have two full versions of the same s/w package on my pc concurrently, or do they both need to stay there for techn. reasons?)

Thanks again!

Old December 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I have yet to find an add-in that worked in earlier versions not work in 5.

I currently have versions 1, 4 & 5 on my system - I use them to test actions on various versions. There is no issue whatsoever having multiple versions - they don't interfere with each other at all.

You can install/uninstall/reinstall any version at any time without fear of losing data in a different version - at least, that has been my experience installing & uninstalling all 5 of them over the years.

If space is at a premium, I'd leave 4 on until 5 is installed - then you can import your catalogs (the app will walk you through it) before deleting 4.

Hope that helps!

Old December 27th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

If you have any extra filters, layer styles, ect.

You will need to move them before you remove 4.
I forgot about my layer styles and lost everything I had added.

~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

The only slight snag that has been reported is that sometimes when you unistall an earlier version after installing the new one then Adobe Gamma gets uninstalled too ...

Wendy

"

Old December 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Wendy: I remember that too but PSE5 does come with Adobe Gamma in the goodies folder so I guess it could easily be put back if you do lose it.

In preparation for deinstalling (which I still haven't done) I did copy the whole Elements 4.0 folder onto a CD - just in case I had forgotten to move something over.

Tony