Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old November 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM
New Forum User

How to scale up and maintain sharpness?

I want to double the pixel size (in both dimensions) of a bitmapped (png and bmp) graphic image and maintain sharpness/clarity. I tried every combination of resizing on the PE menu, but the images all degrade. Is there a way to accomplish what I want to do? FYI, I design buttons for touch screen remote controls. The latest remote has twice the pixel resolution of the older models. If I can't resize my existing buttons, then I'll have to redo hundreds of graphics from scratch. Grrrrrr.
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

Have you tried increasing the size in 10% stages ... ??

... but when you increase the size of something Elements literally just makes up the extra pixels but looking at nearby ones so its not going to be anywhere near perfect.

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old November 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

All photoshop files will degrade when sized up. You should start with files which are larger than you will ever need and always size down, keeping your original files as masters for future use. If your graphics are type and/or illustrations you can create them in Adobe Illustrator which can be sized up and down without loss of sharpness.
Old November 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Casual Forum User

I hope shooting large and sizing down will be a more frequent option for me one day.

I use a 6 meg (and at times a 4 meg) camera and have had acceptable results sizing up in 10% increments as described by Scott Kelby: With resampling turned off set the Resolution to the pixel/inch you desire. Turn the resampling (bicubic) on and increase the height/width in 10% increments to get the size you want.

As Wendy and Frank have already said, it's not magic but I have found it helpful (within limits) in quite a number of situations. I work in .jpeg and .psd formats. I suspect it would work the same in .png and .bmp.

Good Luck

Donn

Old November 12th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

If I may, if 10% increments don't work to your satisfaction, try 5 %. Working at the lab we find 5% increments in upsizing does a much better job than 10% in many situations. One tip I can give you is do a save as about half way to your desired size and start again from that point. Do the "Save As" as a PSD and you should see a nice result in the end. Again, it is not a perfect science, but it will produce acceptable results. We have worked with a Rebel XTi RAW File and upscaled and printed a very good 18x24 for a client recently and believe me it was very acceptable, and wonder if it could have gone to a 24x32. One will never know until one attempts. Anyway, this input is from a lab perspective. We have taken 8MP RAW Files and upsized to 24 x 30 at both 10% and 5% increments, and the prints resulting from 5% increments looked so much better in our tests. Just from my perspective, mind you.
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM
New Forum User

Send a message via Yahoo to Light and Shadow
Enlargement

take a look at some fo the software plug ins to assist in enlargement. Look at fixer labs http://www.fixerlabs.com/New_Website...FRZrNAodSCirLQ

genuine fractals http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Old November 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I use Mehdi's Zoom Engine and get pretty good results with it.

http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/zoomengine.htm

Diana

Itís not happy people who are thankful, itís thankful people who are happy.

~ Canon 5D Mark II ~ Canon Rebel XTi ~ EF70-200 f/2.8L ~ EF85 f/1.8 ~ EF24-70 f/2.8 ~ EF 24-105 f4 L IS ~ EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon PowerShot S95 ~ Canon PowerShot SX50 HS ~ Windows 7 ~ PSE 11 & 12 ~ PS CC ~ Lightroom5 ~ Pro Show Producer ~ Corel Painter X ~ Printers: Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II, HP Deskjet 882C, HP LaserJet 1200 ~
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Known Forum User

I've used this and it is sooooooo easy and free:
http://www.imphotography.com/downloads/ssimagesize.htm

Michelle
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysnana View Post
I've used this and it is sooooooo easy and free:
http://www.imphotography.com/downloads/ssimagesize.htm

Michelle
Michelle, does this work with Elements? The website mentions Photoshop.

Thank You!

Canon 60D * Canon XSi
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 f4-6.3 IS USM * Canon 580EX II
PSE10 / PSE11
Windows 7 Home Premium - i7
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Known Forum User

I used it in 3 and now in 5. It installs in the same place as Grants tools, and Graffi's Handy actions, but show up in Editor under File/Automation tools. I think Graffi's Add-O-Matic would'nt install so I went the other way..

Michelle