Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old November 11th, 2006, 02:39 PM
New Forum User

styles file bad or corrupted

Hi,I am a complete novice on pse 3.0 but my son has it installed on his computer and loves using it however he has started getting the error message, this styles file is bad or corrupted.I have already had a good look around this forum for advice and have so far cleaned all temp files using cleanup software I have tried the control alt shift and deleting the prefs file when launching editor but this has had no effect and have also uninstalled the programme and reinstalled but still get the error message.I have know idea which file is causing the problem because the programme just stalls once the error pops up and we have to restart the computer to clear it.There are sugestions on this forum about copying the styles file on to the computer with the problem via e mail and so on.i have installed my sons copy of pse 3.0 on to my lap top and now need to know exactly where to look for and how to go about copying the neccessary files on to his computer to hopefully cure this irritating problem.
This and any other advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old November 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to GaryK
Hi

Welcome to the forums.

Welcome your son as well.

Mine for PE3 are here

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\Presets\Styles"

I would imagine his will be in a similar place. You can just go to the presets and then drag the whole styles folder over to his computer and restart Elements.

Let us know how it works out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
New Forum User

I haven't been in that problem before but what I would try myself would be get on computer that the files aren't damaged or corrupted and go to the styles folder located at:
c:\program files\adobe\photoshop elements 3.0\presets\styles
and save the styles folder and put in same place and overwrite the styles folder on computer that has the corrupted files in same directory you saved the good files from.
Then I would replace the next set of styles folder in another directory located at:
c:\program files\adobe\photoshop elements 3.0\shared assets\styles
save that folder and replace it also in same directory using same folder saved from computer withour problems. But don't use the styles folder from the first location on the second location, both are different files so must save each folder styles and replace the bad ones with the good ones.
Then I would delete the cache located at:
c:\program files\adobe\photoshop elements 3.0\previews\cache
delete the cache folder and reload PE3 all I know myself, what I would do if myself would be that. Hope it helps if not hope you get it fixed soon.
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
New Forum User

Hi and thanks for the quick response guys but i just tried both of these methods and still getting the same error and programme stall , anybody out there any other sugestions.

Thanks.
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Any possibility of a third party plugin playing havoc?

You could try moving the whole presets folder over. Rename the one on his computer first then move the whole shabang.

Old November 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM
New Forum User

Should I have renamed the original styles folders first or deleted them or should the new files just overwrite the old ones?
Old November 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM
New Forum User

still no joy

Well I renamed the whole presets folder and then imported the presets folder from the computer without the problem and also did the same with the shared assets folder but all to no avail as I still get the same error message when starting editor.
I'm at a loss what to do next ,does anybody else have any experience of this fault and how to cure it as the programe is now almost unusable as it is
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry.. my thoughts on the renaming were, if there were any files that were not original, they would not be overwritten thus possibly creating the same problem. So renaming the folders would eliminate that issue

It is working fine on your laptop?

If so the only thing I can suggest is to find where it is and uninstall it again. Then go back to where it was and make sure all the folders are gone. More than likely you will be in ..... program files>adobe and delete the elements 3 folder that is there. If he doesn't have any other adobe products then maybe even the ...adobe folder. More than likely he has the reader so that may not be an option.

Then reinstall again.
Even this seems a bit extreme and if that doesn't work then I hope somebody else has an idea.

Old November 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

I think that I would do that .. seems like a reinstall is the best idea at this stage

Wendy

"

Old November 13th, 2006, 06:15 AM
New Forum User

This morning i uninstalled pse3.0 then went back to where it was and deleted all other traces of pse I could find I then ran a clean up programme to clear any temp files.I then rebooted pc and checked once again that I could not see any files relating to pse which i could not so I reinstalled pse3.0 and guess what.....................still I get the error message this styles file is bad or corruped.