Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > More > Pixel Hangout

Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Changing Assigned "Source Space"

I've just noticed that some of my pictures have been saved as sRGB rather than RGB. Not sure how this happened but is it possible to change this now that it is the profile assigned to the image?

I've looked everywhere, Colour Management Settings and the Print Screen but there is no way to get at it that I can see...

Thanks!

Edit: I'm using PSE3 and Windows at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Pat ...

The colour profile on all of mine is sRGB ... even the ones that haven't been changed in Elements.

Wendy

"

Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

That's interesting Wendy...

I don't really understand any of this stuff but wouldn't this affect the printing quality?

When you print an image with sRGB as the "Source", what do you enter as the "Print Space" ?

I would usually choose Adobe RGB - so do you select sRGB or Same as Source?

This should be fun - this is all very confusing to me still!

My P&S camera exported my images in as RGB - my 30D I notice exports them as sRGB - once in PSE I change it to RGB, thinking this is better! Why? - I don't have a clue!!

Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:12 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Pat ...

I'm afraid that I rarely print out ... and printing is a total mystery to me.

Sorry ...

Wendy

"

Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Wendy

My sentiments exactly - printing - I have just continued to do what Ray, Gary and the "boys" have told me with success!

However, when there is a hitch - I'm in big trouble and totally winging it.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Pat ...

I have never really printed out much but when we got our new Canon printer I decided to try printing out a couple of images. All I did was tell it to print and it went away and produced some really good photos ...

... so now I just let it get on with it

Wendy

"

Old November 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Some Colour Management Basics....

1. All images from cameras are made up of Red, Green and Blue, hence they are called RGB images and each is represented by a number.

2. There are different schemes to define what number means what particular colour. This is determined by the Colour Profile and there are a couple of basic ones - sRGB and AdobeRGB.

3. Images from a camera nearly always include the Profile thats relevant e.g sRGB.

4. If Elements has its Colour Settings to anything but No Colour Management, then providing your display is set up correctly - yet another topic - then the Colours will be rendered correctly on your display. Elements will know the Profile of the Source, know the Profile of your display and interpret the numbers correctly.

5. When you Print you need to make a decision to let either Elements manage the colours or the Printer Driver manage the colours. NEVER BOTH.

6. The best option is to let Elements manage the colours when printing. This means turning off Colour Management in the Printer Driver and how you do this depends on your printer type.

7. For Elements to Manage the Colours when printing it will know the Source Space...that's included in the image data. What you need to do is set the destination space or Print Space or Print Profile - they're different names for the same thing. Unfortunately this means finding out what your printer uses. Epson for example have profiles for each paper type and you need to select the appropriate one.

8. You should not use Same as Source - this means Elements sends the data to the printer without any information about what the colour numbers mean i.e sRGB or AdobeRGB. The printer will not be able to produce the correct colours from the numbers.

9. If you decide to let the Printer manage the Colours you must ensure its turned on in the Printer Driver. Then set Elements to use Printer Colour Management. Unfortunately this option is not available in the Organiser - only the Editor.

A lot to digest, so if you have some more questions, come back.

Colin

Old November 7th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Colin,

Thanks for surprising me with some more information. Very good and very clear.

Thank you!

Edit: "Same as Source" was interesting - I had no idea that's what it did.