Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old October 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Casual Forum User

Viewing panes in PSE 5 & 4 Moir'e

Recently while working on a photo of a two story brick house that filled the frame I noticed a terrible Moir'e maze effect in the brick when viewing full screen in the editor. I had the photo saved as a .psd, .tif, & .jpg so started comparing them all. The psd & tif was created from an original jpg from my camera & are both equal in size & dpi. The jpg was downsized in size & dpi using the tif file. Both the psd & tif showed this pattern when viewing in editor at full screen but the jpg did not. I then went back to the organizer & viewed the psd & tif files side by side using F12, & both photos showed the pattern. When I compared the jpg the same way it did not show the pattern. Then I viewed all three usin F11 to view full screen & none of them showed the pattern. Thought this might be a problem with just PSE 5 so I went to PSE 4 & did the same comparrison with the same results. I did some enhancement on these photos & don't remember seeing any Moir'e during this process. I used two other viewers & never saw this problem & the one program looked at the tif stepping thru different percentages & didnt see the pattern. Not sure this is a real problem or not, I started using PSE 4 as soon as it came out whenever that was & just upgraded to 5. I print out a lot of my photos with an epson stylus photo 870 with great results. I might have seen this prior in house photos with the rooves showing the pattern but never paid too much attention to it. I would think the photos should appear the same in all three different viewing panes. Any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated. Don

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 28th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Don ...

This is something that changes when you see it at different viewing settings. I could be that you saw some at say 50% and maybe another at 60% that could account for the difference ...

Wendy

"

Old October 29th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Casual Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deains View Post
Recently while working on a photo of a two story brick house that filled the frame I noticed a terrible Moir'e maze effect in the brick when viewing full screen in the editor. I had the photo saved as a .psd, .tif, & .jpg so started comparing them all. The psd & tif was created from an original jpg from my camera & are both equal in size & dpi. The jpg was downsized in size & dpi using the tif file. Both the psd & tif showed this pattern when viewing in editor at full screen but the jpg did not. I then went back to the organizer & viewed the psd & tif files side by side using F12, & both photos showed the pattern. When I compared the jpg the same way it did not show the pattern. Then I viewed all three usin F11 to view full screen & none of them showed the pattern. Thought this might be a problem with just PSE 5 so I went to PSE 4 & did the same comparrison with the same results. I did some enhancement on these photos & don't remember seeing any Moir'e during this process. I used two other viewers & never saw this problem & the one program looked at the tif stepping thru different percentages & didnt see the pattern. Not sure this is a real problem or not, I started using PSE 4 as soon as it came out whenever that was & just upgraded to 5. I print out a lot of my photos with an epson stylus photo 870 with great results. I might have seen this prior in house photos with the rooves showing the pattern but never paid too much attention to it. I would think the photos should appear the same in all three different viewing panes. Any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated. Don
Thanks Wendy & Jo, It is a matter of what percent I view at like I see at at 33% & 66% but not at 50% & 100%. I don't think it is a PC or monitor problem but a problem with PSE. I can take the same photo into PSP 9 & step thru 20% to 120% & never see the moir'e & also look at it in two other viewers & never see the moir'e. This has never seemed to cause me a problem in the past & the photo printed out ok & not a reason to use PSP. I have used PSE from ver 3 to 5 & used to go back to PSP once in awhile in ver 3 but not after ver 4. However I would like to be able to see the same results at all percentages. If PSP can do it then PSE should be able to do it. Thanks again Don

Old October 29th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Casual Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deains View Post
Thanks Wendy & Jo, It is a matter of what percent I view at like I see at at 33% & 66% but not at 50% & 100%. I don't think it is a PC or monitor problem but a problem with PSE. I can take the same photo into PSP 9 & step thru 20% to 120% & never see the moir'e & also look at it in two other viewers & never see the moir'e. This has never seemed to cause me a problem in the past & the photo printed out ok & not a reason to use PSP. I have used PSE from ver 3 to 5 & used to go back to PSP once in awhile in ver 3 but not after ver 4. However I would like to be able to see the same results at all percentages. If PSP can do it then PSE should be able to do it. Thanks again Don

Old October 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Don ...

Glad that you have sorted out what it is ... moire actually happens on all monitors and in any program, its just a combination of the viewing percentage, specific lines in images and how your monitor deals with it. It really isn't anything at all to do with Elements

Wendy

"