Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 16th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via Yahoo to smkunder
old fashioned photo project

I am a new suscriber, I am trying the old fashioned photo project in volume 2 Number 3. I am very confused. After step 2, which I get to fine, it tells you to click on more in layers palette. What is this supposed to do? Next it tells you to create new doc, and color. Its at this point I get lost. I can not seem to move the original on to the new and have the colored border. I am lost. Plese help a newbie. Stuck at step 3 :?:
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi smkunder,

Welcome to the PET forums

I'm not sure how many people have received Volume 2 Issue 3 yet ( I haven't ), but hopefully someone on the Forum who has this Issue will be able to help you.

Mike
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:00 AM
New Forum User

Hi smkunder,

I'm the author of the article, so maybe I can help you out. I believe the entire sentence you're referring to is:
Click on the "More" menu at the top of the Layers palette and choose "Flatten Image."

At the top right of the Layers palette you'll see the word "More" with a triangular arrow next to it. If you click on this you'll get a flyout menu where you can scroll down and choose "Flatten Image." This will flatten the photo layer and the adjustment layer into one combined layer that will make it easier for you to move it onto a differrent document.

Unfortunately, we have limited space when we write a tutorial like this, so we have to assume that the reader knows some of the basics like how to create a new document, change the color, and move a different photo onto this document.

It sounds like you were able to create the new document. To change the color, click on the Foreground (top) color chip (located at the bottom of the toolbox) and you'll get a Color Picker Palette. Click on the vertical thin bar to choose your main color and click on the lage color box to choose a more specific shade of that color. You can also move your cursor over your photo and click to select a color. Once you're satisfied with the color, click okay.

To fill the new document with the color you chose, select the Paint Bucket tool and click once on your document.

Now you're ready to move the photo. If you're using Windows, make sure that you're not in the Maximize mode. You must be able to see both the new colored document and your photo at the same time.

Once you can see both documents in floating windows, select the Move tool, click on the photo once to make sure it's selected, then click and drag the photo over your colored document. When you see a plus sign next to your cursor (rectangular outline on a Mac) you can let go of your mouse and Elements will clone a copy of your photo onto the new document.

Click on the photo again with your Move tool and move it until you're satisfied with the location.

Another way to move a photo is to copy and paste it. Here's how:

If you have more than one document open, make sure your photo is the active window by clicking on it or clicking on its thumbnail in the Photo Bin.

Choose "Select > All" from the Menu Bar.
Choose "Edit > Copy" from the Menu Bar.
Move to your destination document by clicking on its thumbnail in the Photo Bin.
Choose "Edit > Paste" from the Menu Bar.

Your photo will land in the middle of your document. If you want it to be in a different location, click on you Move tool and click and drag the photo to a new spot.

That should get you to where you can move on to the next step. If you run into any other problems, please let me know!

Linda Sattgast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 16th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Casual Forum User

Send a message via Yahoo to smkunder
It worked

Linda thanks I was able to do the project. Only had probelm with adding the stroke. I do not feel so inept any more. Thanks again for the response. You helped me to begin to gain some confidence that I can do some of these projects. In my case I have no previous experience, so a detailed tutorial is a must. Thanks again :lol:
Old April 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM
New Forum User

You're very welcome!

A stroke is really quite easy to do also. Here are the steps:

For maximum flexibility, create a new layer by clicking on the "Create a new layer" icon at the top of the Layers palette. Putting the stroke on a separate layer will allow you to move it freely if you want to.

With the Rectangular Marquee tool selected, click and drag an outline the size you want your stroke to be.

Choose "Edit > Stroke (Outline) Selection" and enter the number of pixels for the width. Start with a width somewhere in the range of 3 to 6 pixels. (If it turns out too wide or too narrow, click on the Step Backward Arrow in the Options Bar and try it again.)

Click on the color box and change the color if you need to.

For a rectangular stroke always choose "Inside" if you want crisp corners. (With the other two options the corners get more and more rounded the higher the width of the stroke.)

Leave the Blend Mode at normal and the Opacity at 100% and click okay.

Take care,

Linda Sattgast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I just got it today...Volume 2 # 3

I LOVE the cover on this one !

I was just getting ready to start reading it but decided to check in here first...to see what's been going on.

Old April 16th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

:cry: :cry: :cry: