Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old July 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Casual Forum User

calibrate monitor or use Dell profile???

I was going to calibrate the monitor for my laptop Inspiron 5100 LCD screen to use with Photoshop Elements 4 when I read their recommendation:
Note: Skip this calibration procedure if you are using an LCD screen. LCD monitors (such as flat-screen and laptop computer monitors) do not calibrate easily because viewing angles can change colors significantly. Instead, use the manufacturer-provided profile. (See the documentation that came with your monitor for information.)
Where can I fine/get this profile? Is this the right thing to do? I did calibrate the ViewSonic monitor attached to my desktop PC, but I don't change the angle on that one and do have better control of the light since it does not move around.

TIA,
gg
Old July 5th, 2006, 02:48 AM
New Forum User

You could try the website of your laptop maker but I don't know of any maker who provides profiles for laptops, perhaps it's a sign of just how difficult they are to calibrate or how unsuitable they are for that purpose.

However, my new Philips 170B LCD monitor (not a laptop) was supplied with a profile but unfortunately it gave me a display that was very obviously too bright and lacking in contrast, so I profiled from adobe gamma instead. Then I printed a test print and just 'tweaked' the adobe gamma profile slightly to match the print under daylight conditions when the print had fully dried.

Not the official way of doing it I know but without buying expensive profiling tools (not an option for me) it works for me.
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Georgette ...

First thing ... do you think that your monitor colour isn't correct at the moment .... and when you print out an image how does it look in comparison to how your screen looks ?

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old July 5th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Georgette.....

There is a difference between calibrating and profiling your screen as opposed to just using the manufacturers profile - which I doubt you'll get one for your Dell. The difference being that the process of running calibration gets you to adjust the brightness/contrast/colours of the display. The manufacturers profile wont do this for you.

Try running the Adobe Gamma Wizard but as Wendy suggests only if you are noticing problems. You can always remove the profile it makes anyway and go back to where you started.

By far the best investment if you're serious is to buy a Colorimeter like these -

http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/index/p...-mgmt-spec.htm

they are not overly expensive at the lowest level.

Colin