Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > More > Pixel Hangout

Old June 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Grant
Frank Lloyd Wright Lives

While reading some Mac propaganda I came on this most beautiful house. It seems that 50 years ago Frank Lloyd Wright did some preliminary sketches for a house that was to be built on an island. A forward seeking person bought the land and had and architect finish the prints and build the beauty. Even posthumous the greatness of Frank Lloyd Wright is not diminished.

http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/heinz/

-

Home Pages :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Very cool! He did have some interesting designs and ideas. There is a house here in Edwardsville that was built from his design. My daughter was their babysitter so I got to get a very good look at the house. Odd - very narrow low ceiling hallways but very large windows and high ceilings in the rooms. It was almost like passing through a cave system when you would go from room to room - small and confined to massive and open. He was a master of "blending in" with the environment though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Casual Forum User

Very interesting Grant.There is a Frank Lloyd Wright restoration project going on in my city as of this moment.(Buffalo N.Y.)

Bob

http://www.darwinmartinhouse.org/index.php

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi...tin_House.html

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...use_-_2004.jpg

Old June 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Grant,
Last year my wife and I visited Wright's home in the hills above Phoenix,Az. The name of the place is Taleisin. We took the 90 minute tour and were just awestruck! My avatar is of a metal sculpture on the site. Many people are keeping Frank's ideas alive....a very good thing!
Chas

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Chas - Taliesin is about 5 minutes from my house and though it is not very easily photographed, it certainly is fascinating. It was Frank Lloyd Wright's 'camp' in the west. When the enormous power lines were built outside of his property, he was so angry that he turned the front around so the view no longer included the hideous power lines. I think they were built as a part of the "New Deal", weren't they? It is a struggling architecture school now run by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation (I think). The students live there on the property.

Visit My Webshots Gallery

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I've always been a fan of the man...what a genius who was never afraid to do his own thing ! Simplicity,space,freedom to inspire nobady but himself...what more does anyone need ? My dad was also a big fan and built his house to reflect it. To this day I hate to be in a house that lacks windows...we had ALOT...too many one might say. Oh well, I loved it.

Thanks for posting the story. Definietly a fantastic thing.

Old June 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Grant,
Madison has many of Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings. A design of his was used posthumous by the Taliesin Fellowship (located in Spring Green WI) to build Monona Terrace here in Madison. He was born in rural Spring Green and attended the UW for a while. There are lots of his prairie style homes in Lake Geneva WI where I grew up. Chas...You have to visit the first Taliesin (Welsh for shining brow) here in Wisconsin. It's about 45 miles from Madison. The man was a Genius.
Eva

Ya Hey, Ubetcha, Uffda
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Andie,Eva,
I've seen the prarie house in Oak Park, Ill. I saw it on an architectural tour when I was in high school.....many moons ago.... I took a pano of the main dwelling at Taliesin West and will add it to my gallery. Geniuses like him only come along every hundred years or so.
Chas

Old June 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hey folks,
Taliesin West now resides on my gallery. Hope you like it.
Chas

Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Chas and Grant,
I couldn't resist a few shots from this one in Cows on Parade. The Sumac pattern is a classic. This cow is called Frank Loin Wright.

Eva

Ya Hey, Ubetcha, Uffda