Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old June 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM
New Forum User

layer styles outer glow

hi! does anyone know if there is a way to change the color of the outer glow in the layer styles, for example to match a color in the image. as far as i can tell the "default" color is an off-white...
thanks!
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

... and welcome to the forum

There isn't a way to change the colour of the outer glow but a workaround is to:

Duplicate the layer
Go to the layers palette and drag the duplicate layer below the original one
Control click on the layer thumbnail in the layers palette (to regain the selection)
Make you foreground colour the one you want the outer glow to be
Then do Edit>Fill ... use foreground colour
Now do Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur ... move the slide up until the effect looks OK ..

Hope this helps

Wendy
PS ... Jodi has done a missing styles CD with has coloured outer glows on it ... and lots more !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old June 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM
New Forum User

hi wendy,
thanks for the info. i am working in pse3. i just tried your workaround, but in the layers palette, i am unable to drag the dup.layer below the original one. in fact, it won't let me drag it anywhere--the pse symbol for "you can't do this -comes up" (circle with line through it!)

also, who is jody and where do you find her cd?
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Jody Frye...... you can send her a PM. It's called Photoshop Elements The missing Styles. I have it and love it!

I have PSE4, not sure how you move it in 3, but I am SURE you can. Wendy will be back later too!

Canon Rebel xt; Canon 40D; canon 18- 55 mm; canon 75 - 300 mm f/5.6; canon 85mm f/1.8; canon 70-200 2.8 IS; canon 24-70 2.8; canon fisheye lens, cheap monopod; my fathers old wooden tripod, a Quantaray QSX 9002D tripod, 20 inch IMAC and a macbook pro
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to double click on your background layer and change it's name from background to layer 1 or some other name. A background layer can't be moved.

Old June 5th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi ...

One thing to bear in mind is that you can't apply an outer glow to a whole layer.

Wendy

"

Old June 5th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is the link where I found the info to order mine.

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com...missing+styles

I sent her an e-mail and she got right back to me. They are GREAT!!

~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Enlightened Elder

Kimi ...

Anything that Jodi does it great

Wendy

"

Old June 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

So now I need to go out and find out how to create styles like Jodi!!! thanks Wendy Just kidding. I would like to know how to create my own styles and effects though... Anyone aware of any good books on the subject?

Brice

Old June 5th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Brice ...

Sorry I can't remember did you upgrade to CS2 ??

Wendy

"