Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old November 25th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Casual Forum User

Custom Shape Tool In PSE 11

I'm woking on a project where I need the custom shape tool in PSE 11 but can not find it. Do I need to reset my tools or is it not installed or????? This is what my tool bar looks like. Thanks in advance for your help.
LoMiller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSE 11 tool bar.jpg (92.6 KB, 15 views)

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for; perfection is God's business."
--Michael J Fox

Last edited by lomiller; November 25th, 2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old November 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Lomiller,

The Custom Shape tool is nested with other tools, located just above the Pencil tool. Press U on your keyboard to bring up the Options bar so you can select the Custom Shape tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSE11-Custom-Shape-Tool.jpg (38.4 KB, 6 views)

PSE7,10,11,12 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Sepiana; November 25th, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add thumbnail.
Old November 25th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Casual Forum User

Thank You, Sepiana. Found it. Am still learning PSE 11 and finding things way different from some of the earlier versions.

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for; perfection is God's business."
--Michael J Fox
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Lomiller, you are most welcome! Glad to help.

Yes, PSE11 is different indeed, but I am pretty sure you will soon find your way around. Have you checked PSE11's Learning Center on the PET site? You can get an overview of what is new in this version.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Casual Forum User

Haven't been there yet. Version 11 came out in the middle of an 8 week Version 10 class I was teaching. No time to research 11 when some of the ladies showed up at the next class with 11 on their computers. School of hard knocks happened to be the teacher that day. But...we were all learning together and it worked. I think I'm ready to teach just the basics this next session and then try on some of the more advanced items in a slightly advanced class.
Again, Thank you so much, Sepiana.

--Michael J Fox
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:08 PM
New Forum User

I know this is an old post, but I was searching for how to use a custom shape tool and found it.

OK, so I see the custom shapes, but how do I get them to GO onto my project? I click on the one I want, but nothing happens. I try to drag it into my project, but nothing happens.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonette View Post
I know this is an old post, but I was searching for how to use a custom shape tool and found it.

OK, so I see the custom shapes, but how do I get them to GO onto my project? I click on the one I want, but nothing happens. I try to drag it into my project, but nothing happens.
Select the shape you want with your cursor, then go into your image, left click and drag the mouse until you get the size you want. The custom shape will be filled with your foreground color.
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonette View Post
Hi Loonette,

1. Activate the Custom Shape tool (the little blue blurb).

2. Select the shape you want from the Shape Picker in the Tools Options area. Now the shape you selected will be visible in the Shape Picker, ready to be used.

3. Choose a color for your shape. You do this by clicking on the color rectangle in the Options area or by just using the foreground color. Note: When you activate the Custom Shape tool the foreground color will automatically appear in the Options area.

1.jpg

4. Move the cursor over to your image.

5. Click where you want the shape to begin.

6. Drag diagonally to create the shape.

7. Release the cursor where you want the shape to end.

2.jpg

TIPS:

If you press down the Shift key while you draw the shape, the shape will remain perfectly proportional.

When you open the Shape Picker several shapes will automatically be displayed. You can see the other available shapes by using the drop-down menu at the top of the Shape Picker. Click on the downside arrow and select "All Elements Shapes".

3.jpg

To be able to see more shapes at once you can expand the palette by dragging its upper-right corner.

Custom-Shape-All-Elements-Shapes-Expanded-Palette.jpg