Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > More > Pixel Hangout

Old April 10th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Enlightened Elder

ATT: iPad Users -- Which Apps do you use ?

Well my iPad is on its way and I wondered which apps everyone is using and what they think of them.

Barbara recommended Snapseed for photo editing but I wondered about other sorts of general apps that people are finding useful.

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old April 10th, 2012, 06:25 AM

Hi Wendy,

I've only had mine a short while but here are some that I have downloaded and like so far:

PCalc Lite: Seems odd to me that a calculator isn't one of the apps that is pre-loaded by Apple. I don't know about you, but I like having one very handy. This one is free and in a pinch, my kids could probably use it for high school maths homework.

Skype: Free video calling using the front facing camera. The app is free too.

Trip Case: Organizes your travel information and can send you notifications of flight delays, traffic issues, etc. All you have to do is enter your booking number and it takes it from there. You can record travel expenses within the app, which is handy here in North America for customs declarations on return. It's free.

Good Reader: Import PDF files and read/annotate them from within the app. I've loaded my travel insurance policy for reference when I'm traveling. This one is $4.99.

Scrabble: I'm using the cheaper iPhone version ($1.99) but as much as my kids and I have played this already, the $9.99 iPad version would probably be worth it.

Epicurious, My Recipe Book, Jamie's Recipes, Big Oven: Lots of recipes and various features to save your own recipes within the apps. I haven't tried this feature yet, but Big Oven says you can scan your paper recipes and save them to the app. All of these are free except for My Recipe Book which is $1.99. Jamie Oliver's app has some recipes and you can buy other packs (of 10 recipes and a couple videos, I think) for $1.99.

News Readers: I like Pulse, Zite, and Flipboard for news. All free apps. You tell them what you are interested in and they feed you the news. Pulse and Flipboard can integrate your Twitter feed which is one reason I really like them. Pulse integrates your Google Reader feed so you can read blogs from within the app. Zite is supposed to be able to use your Twitter and Google Reader feeds too but I haven't been able to make it work yet.

For Photography: I have a gazillion and one photo-related apps on my iPhone and really don't think I'm going to use many on the iPad. My go-to apps are Instagram and Snapseed. I use The Photographer's Ephemeris for planning outings. It shows you the direction of sunrise and sunset as well as the times.

I'm glad you asked the question and I'll look forward to hearing what experienced iPad users use....

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE13, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via AIM to victry1 Send a message via Skype™ to victry1
I couldn't live without Words with Friends. Skype, Flickr Studio, Facebook (which is a pain), Dropbox is handy (if you want to get it, let me send you a link. You get free storage for all referals). Evernote is another good one. Ustream has an app-good for watching Creative Live. iMessage comes in handy when I'm too lazy to look for my phone.

Your TV provider may also have an app. I use mine to check te schedule, schedule a recording, etc.

There's so many-it all depends on your needs and also, location.

If anyone has a recommend for a finance app similar to Quicken that would sync back to my laptop, I'd love to hear it.

Eleanor

iMac, PSE 11, CS5, iPhone 5S, Rebel T1i, Canon 7D,
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Wendy, Be sure to set up the iCloud and PhotoStream. When that is set up the photographs you taking will go right to iPhoto (which I had stopped using and had to set that up again). Likewise if you use iCal when you add something on one of the calendars it will appear on the other calendar was well. Lots of other great reasons for iCloud too!!

OK now on to the apps...

Games: Angry Birds, Words with Friends, Jumbline and I have a lot of kids games too. If you want any of those just let me know.

Pandora Radio is a personalized radio where you pick your favorite songs or artists.

Find My iPhone will track your iPad from your Mac if you can't find it.

I have lots more if you need more!! Don't forget Facebook.

HTH

PSE 11/Lightroom 4/Topaz Filters/Perfect Photo Suite 7
Mac Mountain Lion 10.8.2
iPhone 5/Nikon D80
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Known Forum User

Evernote, HBOGO, Pandora, Facebook, Flipbook, Zite, WSJ online, New Yorker, Yammer (for work), The Weather Channel, Instagram, AroundMe, Yelp, Kindle
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes, how could I forget Kindle? That's a must! And also be sure to set up find my iPad. It could come in handy.

Eleanor

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Enlightened Elder

Oh this is fun ... thank you all so much for sharing. I do appreciate it

Wendy

"

Old April 11th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I have so many apps I've lost track.... Sometimes I find one in the App Store that I think would be cool, go to download it - then find I already have it installed!

Many recommendations; Eleanor has cited some of the same ones that I favor.

For viewing and loading photos on Flickr, FlickStackr is really good. For photo processing, Snapseed, Photogene, PhotoFx Ultra, Filterstorm, Photo Toaster...the list is endless.

Enjoy your new toy! I'll be a late adopter of this one - some camera equipment is incoming and my dear spouse is losing her patience with me...

LR5, PSE10, CS6, Canon, Fuji, iMac
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Chuck ...

Thanks for the info

We held off buying an iPad for quite sometime ... but in the end we just caved in

Wendy

"

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Hi Chuck ...

Thanks for the info

We held off buying an iPad for quite sometime ... but in the end we just caved in

Wendy
And I bet you're glad you did!

Eleanor