Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old April 10th, 2012, 04:50 PM
New Forum User

New Nikon D3000 settings

I have a Nikon D3000 that I have had for a while and really only use it in the "auto" setting. I feel like I could be getting a lot more out of it. Last season I tried to take some pictures of my Son's baseball team at night under the lights and they came out extremely blury. I have also been trying to take some shots of dark colored bass jigs in front of a white background for a website I am building and I can't get them to look anything but black. Any suggestions on camera setting would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Getting off Auto and into one of the other modes would be a good start. Also get into the habit of looking at the ISO, shutter speed and aperture of the shots you take to understand how they interact and effect the image. The blurry shots are likely because the shutter speed was too long to hand hold. You would want to increase the ISO and use a wide aperture (lower f number) to get the shutter speed shorter.

Taking dark objects against a white background your camera is going to expose for the white so the dark objects will be too dark. You'll need to adjust the exposure compensation - likely by a couple of stops of overexposure. You'll need to experiment - you can put the camera on manual and vary the amount of overexposure by keeping ISO and aperture constant and adjusting the shutter speed. Checking the histogram will tell you if you are getting the dark objects better exposed.

Once you get the hang of it will become second nature!

Tony
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:36 AM
New Forum User

I bought a D7000 a few months back after using decent point and shoots for a long while for the simple reason of getting better quality and more control over my shots .. I also bought the book DSLR cameras for idiots for a better understanding of said cameras . That book combined with the original manual and non stop playing with settings has opened my eyes up pretty quick .. Coming from point shoots to this camera I stayed right away from auto so had to learn to take control .. I use manual pretty much all the time other than when playing with A,S,P and scene settings to see what they can offer .
I'd suggest going through the manual and getting to know what the different settings do then play with a setting for a while so you get a feel for it then move onto another setting and mix them up also.
F.stop (aperture) , shutter speed , iso , are the first things I would get an understanding of then take control from there ..
Good luck and have fun ...

Fred
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

MS1780,

I could not agree with the above comments more. When learning how to use the different settings spend some time doing test shots in different conditions. If you want to stop fast moving action, choose a fast shutter speed and up the ISO to allow this. Learn what the different metering options on your camera can do and try them out. It's far better to get lots of different shots at different settings of your test subjects than getting it wrong when you really need to get it right.

Good things to get tests shots of are moving traffic, running and walking people. People (or objects) stood indoors in a doorway with a bright background and a brightly lit light coloured object (e.g. yellow flowers) against a dark background.

Then try your different ISO settings and see at what setting your pictures become too noisy

If you have more than one lens, learn how fast a shutter speed you need to hold the camera steady with each lens. Also, take the same shot at varying apertures to see how sharp the image is. (on your computer zoom in to 100% to see the difference). Choose different distances as well when doing this. This will also teach you about depth of field.

Also, learn about the histogram, which gives you a much better idea whether your photo is over or under exposed than the display on the back of the camera.

When you come to taking photos you want to keep, shoot in RAW as this will give you a lot more scope for developing the picture how you want it to be, as opposed to JPEG where a lot of the data is discarded by the camera.

You might want to consider keeping a diary of what settings work best.

Good luck and enjoy your excellent camera. And welcome to the Village.

Ivor