Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:27 AM
New Forum User

The Dreaded H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Hi,

I just upgraded to Premiere Elements 10 from version 8. I started the program and imported a short video that I had recorded with my "HD" video camera. I did not get any error messages (that I remember) but the program only imported the audio. I know there is something crazy about this specific camera/codec but I remember being able to get it to work in version 8.

Here are the gspot details:

Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Length: 0:12.212
FRMS: 366
KBPS: 8083
Qf: 0.13
Pics/s: 29.97
Frames/s: 29.97
SAR: 1.778 (16:9)
PAR: 1.000 (1:1)
DAR: 1.778 (16:9)
(Image of output attached)

Thanks for any thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PE 10 Problem.jpg (69.2 KB, 5 views)
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

sjscoach

From the gspot readout, I would not expect you to have any problems importing and editing your video in Premiere Elements 10 or 8.0/8.0.1. So let us see what you can sort out here:

a. What is your computer operating system....Windows 7 64 bit or other?

b. What is the brand and model of the camera from which this video is coming and what is the camera setting: 1080i30, 1080p30, or other?

c. What is the file extension for this video with the AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression....mts, m2ts, avi, mp4, mov, other?

d. What project preset have you been setting for this project in which you import the video? And, when you go to import the video, does the program offer to change the project preset for you? If so, do you say yes and what does the program select as the "right" project preset? (If that is the case, see Edit Menu/Project Settings to determine what the program selected for the project preset).

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:54 PM
New Forum User

[QUOTE=ATR;621452]sjscoach

From the gspot readout, I would not expect you to have any problems importing and editing your video in Premiere Elements 10 or 8.0/8.0.1. So let us see what you can sort out here:

a. What is your computer operating system....Windows 7 64 bit or other?
Vista 64 bit

b. What is the brand and model of the camera from which this video is coming and what is the camera setting: 1080i30, 1080p30, or other?
Toshiba Camileo H30 & I believe 1080p

c. What is the file extension for this video with the AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression....mts, m2ts, avi, mp4, mov, other?

AVI

d. What project preset have you been setting for this project in which you import the video? And, when you go to import the video, does the program offer to change the project preset for you? If so, do you say yes and what does the program select as the "right" project preset? (If that is the case, see Edit Menu/Project Settings to determine what the program selected for the project preset).

I believe I said no to having the program change the project presets, I will check later.

Thanks for your time
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

sjscoach

First thing, let us make sure that the Premiere Elements 10 project preset matches the properties of the source media in such a way that the program does not want to change the project preset that you have set.

From your video properties, I think that the most appropriate Premiere Elements 10 project preset would be
NTSC (if you are in an NTSC location or will be directing the video that an NTSC viewer)
DSLR
1080p
DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Given that you have AVCHD.avi saved to a hard drive location

a. Go to the save location and rename just the file extension of the file, trying
.mts
.m2s
.m2st
.mov
.mpg

b. Then import each into Premiere Elements 10 with the above project preset and determine if any import with video as well as audio.

And just to dot the i's and cross the t's, what did your gspot readout show for Status in the section of "Video Name Codec Status", typically top right of readout.

And, are you saying that this very same video AVCHD.avi 1080p30 imports into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 but not Premiere Elements 10? Do you still have Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 installed on the same computer with version 10? If so, have you double checked to make sure that this video is continuing to import video/audio in version 8.0/8.0.1?

We will be watching for your results and then decide what next based on your report.

Thanks.

ATR
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM
New Forum User

Art,

Thanks for your help, I hope you can figure this out, its really very frustrating.

Anyway

I wasn't 100% sure what you meant about the "project presets but I've attached an image of the project settings and the other two options where as follows: Capture: DV, Compressor DV NTSC

"From your video properties, I think that the most appropriate Premiere Elements 10 project preset would be
NTSC (if you are in an NTSC location or will be directing the video that an NTSC viewer)
DSLR
1080p
DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Given that you have AVCHD.avi saved to a hard drive location"

I'm not sure what you mean by having "AVCHD.avi saved to a hard drive location" Sorry for this

a. Go to the save location and rename just the file extension of the file, trying
.mts
.m2s
.m2st
.mov
.mpg

I renamed the file I'm trying to import with each of these file extensions and they all could not be imported due to a "General error"

b. Then import each into Premiere Elements 10 with the above project preset and determine if any import with video as well as audio.

And just to dot the i's and cross the t's, what did your gspot readout show for Status in the section of "Video Name Codec Status", typically top right of readout.

And, are you saying that this very same video AVCHD.avi 1080p30 imports into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 but not Premiere Elements 10? Do you still have Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 installed on the same computer with version 10? If so, have you double checked to make sure that this video is continuing to import video/audio in version 8.0/8.0.1?

I still do have 8 installed but for some reason it won't fully load so I can't rey the above

I did try importing one of the files that I used last year in a project with 8 and it still only recognizes it as an audio file

We will be watching for your results and then decide what next based on your report.

Thanks.

ATR[/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proj Settings.jpg (44.8 KB, 5 views)
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

sjscoach

Project Preset Problem

Based on the gspot readout that you posted for your video and the screenshot of your Premiere Elements project preset, there appears to be a serious error in this regard.

The properties of your video should match the properties of the project preset. The screenshot that you posted tells me that you used the project preset of NTSC DV Standard (720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second) for your video which is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. So, in a new project, please use the project preset that I suggested:
NTSC
DSLR
1080p
DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

SOURCE MEDIA ISSUES

AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264).avi @ 29.97 progressive frames per second
How are you getting that file into Premiere Elements 10
a. Get Media/Files and Folders where you browse to the hard drive location where you saved the AVCHD.avi file, select it, import it into the Media, and then drag it to the Timeline?
b. Other...if other, please detail.
c. Very important....go back and look at the actual gspot readout and let us know what is says for "Status" in the Video Codec Name Status fields at the top right of the readout.

COMPUTER ISSUES

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?
b. Are you running Premiere Elements 10 Windows Vista 64 bit from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges?
c. Is your video and audio card drivers up to date?
d. Have you installed any new programs (exception of Premiere Elements 10) since the days when you recall using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 successfully for this type of project?
Please check out the above and let us know the results and any further details.

Thanks.

ATR
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM
New Forum User

[QUOTE=ATR;621575]sjscoach

Project Preset Problem

Based on the gspot readout that you posted for your video and the screenshot of your Premiere Elements project preset, there appears to be a serious error in this regard.

The properties of your video should match the properties of the project preset. The screenshot that you posted tells me that you used the project preset of NTSC DV Standard (720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second) for your video which is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. So, in a new project, please use the project preset that I suggested:
NTSC
DSLR
1080p
DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97
How do I do that? I think I tried making a new project and it didn't ask me about the settings

SOURCE MEDIA ISSUES

AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264).avi @ 29.97 progressive frames per second
How are you getting that file into Premiere Elements 10
a. Get Media/Files and Folders where you browse to the hard drive location where you saved the AVCHD.avi file, select it, import it into the Media, and then drag it to the Timeline? That is how I am importing media
b. Other...if other, please detail.

[B]c. Very important....go back and look at the actual gspot readout and let us know what is says for "Status" in the Video Codec Name Status fields at the top right of the readout. [B]It says "Codec(s) are Installed"

COMPUTER ISSUES

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?
Will have to check
b. Are you running Premiere Elements 10 Windows Vista 64 bit from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges? Will have to check
c. Is your video and audio card drivers up to date? I believe so
d. Have you installed any new programs (exception of Premiere Elements 10) since the days when you recall using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 successfully for this type of project? I'm sure I have or my son has
Please check out the above and let us know the results and any further details.

Thank you ATR for everything, I'm optimistic
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

sjscoach

Setting the Project Preset

There are two different ways that you can be getting to the New Project Dialog to set the project preset (if you do nothing it goes to default of NTSC DV Standard (for NTSC installed programs).

a. Using the program so that it opens to a Welcome Screen (with buttons for Organize, New Project, and Open Project. In that case, you click on New Project and get the New Project Dialog.
or
b. If you bypass the Welcome Screen (if you are not doing that, I will tell you the how to for that another time) and open to a grey page with menu headers, then you click on File Menu/New/Project to obtain the New Project Dialog.

In either case, in the New Project dialog you will see a field for Project Settings. If you have done thing there, it will show the default which is NTSC DV Standard for a program installed for NTSC location.

Below the Project Settings field is a "Change Settings" button. Click on that to reveal your options. Using the triangle to the left of the name to expand the choices
NTSC, expand to show
DSLR, expand to show
1080p, expand to show
DSLR 1080p30 @29.97 which you click on (at that point you should see a description of the preset to the right of the dialog)
Click OK at the bottom of the dialog.

While you are in that dialog, you can name your project as well as designated the hard drive location for its save.

The project preset setting may be only one of the problems. So it is important for you to reply to:
Quote:
[B]c. Very important....go back and look at the actual gspot readout and let us know what is says for "Status" in the Video Codec Name Status fields at the top right of the readout. [B]It says "Codec(s) are Installed"
Based on results from the above, let us see if we can target why you are getting audio without video for your AVCHD.avi import. We may go back to changing the file extensions again, but more on that and other troubleshooting strategy later.

Thanks for the follow up which is very much appreciated.

ATR
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
New Forum User

There are two different ways that you can be getting to the New Project Dialog to set the project preset (if you do nothing it goes to default of NTSC DV Standard (for NTSC installed programs).

a. Using the program so that it opens to a Welcome Screen (with buttons for Organize, New Project, and Open Project. In that case, you click on New Project and get the New Project Dialog.
or
b. If you bypass the Welcome Screen (if you are not doing that, I will tell you the how to for that another time) and open to a grey page with menu headers, then you click on File Menu/New/Project to obtain the New Project Dialog.

In either case, in the New Project dialog you will see a field for Project Settings. If you have done thing there, it will show the default which is NTSC DV Standard for a program installed for NTSC location.

Below the Project Settings field is a "Change Settings" button. Click on that to reveal your options. Using the triangle to the left of the name to expand the choices
NTSC, expand to show
DSLR, expand to show
1080p, expand to show
DSLR 1080p30 @29.97 which you click on (at that point you should see a description of the preset to the right of the dialog)
Click OK at the bottom of the dialog.

I updated to Quicktime 7, created a new project using the above settings with the same result

My Username shows an administrator in the control panel

While you are in that dialog, you can name your project as well as designated the hard drive location for its save.

The project preset setting may be only one of the problems. So it is important for you to reply to:

Based on results from the above, let us see if we can target why you are getting audio without video for your AVCHD.avi import. We may go back to changing the file extensions again, but more on that and other troubleshooting strategy later.

Thanks for the follow up which is very much appreciated.
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

sjscoach

Thanks for checking out the QuickTime update, User Account with Administrative Priviledges, and the DSLR project preset.

One thing you still have not responded to:

What does the gspot readout for your video show for "Status" at the top right of the gspot dialog where you see Video Codec, Name, and Status?

The answer to this Status question will direct us to what next.

Thanks

ATR