Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old April 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM
New Forum User

Choppy preview using Canon 7D video

Well, I have found a few others with the exact same issue I have, but they either found a fix that didn't work for me, or no fix was found.

I can play my video on my pc with no issues at all, and they also play in premiere elements 10 fine until I add an effect, like stabilize, or a transition. They then will only play at a very choppy 1 frame per second or so. I have heard others say that you will get a red line over the timeline, then you need to hit enter to render, and I do that, and it's good, but really, that takes
6.5 minutes to render a 1 minute clip. How much time do I need to waist staring at a progress bar? This can't be right, something must be slowing me down.

Here's what I am using for video.
1080p 30fps from the camera, this is a .mov file. I realize this is a highly compressed format, but there are tons of people using this, and they can't all be having my issues.
I use the DSLR-1080p-DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97 for project settings.

I decided to upgrade my PC to see if I could preview without rendering, since I figured I needed more speed. I had:

AMD Phenom II dual core 3ghz
8GB of ram
120GB EIDE main hard drive
500GB SATA second hard drive
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2

I now have:

AMD Phenom II Quad core 3ghz
16GB of ram 1333 DDR3
120GB SSD SATA 6GB/sec
Same second HD
Nvidia GeForce GTX560 1GB GDDR5

This is a major increase in PC speed overall, and I have noticed very little change in the video on the timeline, and slight increase in the rendering speed. The numbers I gave at the beginning are after the upgrade!

My PC sure boots fast after adding the SSD, but that gets me nowhere in my editing.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Wags
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Wags

Bottom Lines:

a. You say: Your choppy previews of Premiere Elements edited Canon 7D video is corrected by rendering that Timeline content with red line over it by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard to get the best possible preview of the end product. Great. No Problem.
b. You say: That you had hoped for "previewing without Premiere Elements Timeline rendering of edited Timeline content" by upgrading your processor/CPU/video card et al. Unrealistic.
c. You say: In spite of the upgrade in processor/CPU/video card, you feel that the render times that you are getting (especially with clips with stabilizer applied) are not right. Video stablizer applied to a clip markedly increases the render time. Generalizing at a dual core 3.20 GHz level, video stabilized-clip 20 minutes render time versus 1 minute or less for Brightness&Contrast-clip. I have not looked at the effect of transitions on rendering times, but I will and will report back.
d. Since this rendering time is dependent on the computer environment and Timeline content, without taking your computer apart piece by piece, I believe what you are getting is "right" for your situation.

General Comments:

What version of Premiere Elements are you using?

Can we assume that you are using Premiere Elements 10 in Windows 7 64 bit so that you are working with a 64 bit application in a 64 bit system?

The processor/CPU and video card and the nature of the Timeline content are going to have the most impact with regard to your goal of "shorter" previewing times. I say "shorter" in contrast to "eliminate" since I have never heard of a version of Premiere Elements where it is guaranteed not to put a red line over the Timeline content that it decides needs this type of rendering for it to generate the best possible preview (preview files) AFTER an edit.

Rendering is a frame by frame process which is impacted the nature of the Timeline content and by what is applied to the frame. Worst case scenario is the application of the Video Stabilizer.

Even with the best case computer environment, it is going to take time for these Premiere Elements frame by frame processes to be executed. Expectations for Premiere Elements "faster" for 64 bit vs 32 bit as well as rendering times for dual core vs quad core processor are not always met.

If you have Premiere Elements 10 (current version), I would suggest that you contact Adobe (via its Customer Service/Technical Service) to discuss your concerns in this area.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

Last edited by ATR; April 8th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM
New Forum User

ATR, thanks for the comments.

Yes, I am using Premiere Elements 10 in Windows 7 64 bit.

I guess my original expectations were unrealistic. I thought with the speed of PC's these days, I could preview "on the fly" as I made changes. I will have to try some other effects, and see how long they take to render. I realize the stabilize would be difficult to render. I have a lot of video taken out of a helicopter that has major shake. I told the guy to turn off that noisy fan, but he wouldn't listen.

It seems like the thing that had the most impact on my render times was the change from a dual to a quad core processor. I have noticed that all 4 cores are at 100% when rendering. But I was led to believe that a fast GPU, (video card) would take some of that processing away from the main CPU.

On that note, I read somewhere that Premiere Pro will take better advantage of the Cuda cores on a video card if you get one of the "Adobe approved" cards. Do you know if this also holds true for Premiere Elements 10?

There were also "hacks" to make it (P. Pro) work better with a non approved card. Not sure if that would help either.

I will do some more testing, and get back. This is my first time editing video since the mini DV days, and I seem to be having more issues then I did then.

Thanks again
Wags

Last edited by Wags; April 8th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Wags

You wrote:

Quote:
On that note, I read somewhere that Premiere Pro will take better advantage of the Cuda cores on a video card if you get one of the "Adobe approved" cards. Do you know if this also holds true for Premiere Elements 10?
It is my understanding that Premiere Elements cannot take advantage of those CUDA cards (approved or not quite approved) as mentioned for the Premiere Pro programs.

I will check out the influence of various transitions on Timeline rendering times. Have not done that before. I also have to double check to make sure that you are selecting the correct project preset. Are you getting any messages from the program asking to replace the one that you have selected?

I have been focusing on Timeline Rendering for "edited" Timeline content...not content when it is immediately dragged from the Media area to the Timeline. So, for now, I am assuming that media dragged to the Timeline has no red line or color line. It is just the edited species with the red line over it.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:37 PM
New Forum User

Just a quick reply. When I select different project presets, it tells me to chose the ones I mentioned above.

I wonder how much of a performance boost I would get using Premiere Pro. Now that I have spent so much money on hardware, I wonder if the software upgrade would give me the kick I want.

Wags
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Wags

It sounds like a good idea to download and install the free 30 day try out of Premiere Pro CS5 and determine how that performs in your computer environment.

Definitely do not purchase any software without the free tryout first.
You do not have to uninstall your Premiere Elements 10, just use one at a time.

Here are some Premiere Pro CS5 articles that I came across (posted for informational purposes) that might be interesting in sorting out quality vs "faster" advances....

http://www.streaminglearningcenter.c...55.html?page=2

http://www.onlinevideo.net/2011/11/d...dobe-premiere/

http://www.shawnlam.ca/2011/adobe-cs...-acceleration/

At the Premiere Pro CS5 User to User Forum at Adobe, you might want to post a direct question asking for first hand information on Timeline rendering time expectations for your Quad Core processor and video card and source media in your computer environment.

I suspect that you will go the good better best route as you advance your computer environment, but whether best case scenario will meet your specific Timeline rendering "faster" improvement expectations is in doubt in all cases.

ATR