Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old April 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
New Forum User

Unhappy Error message after downloading Camera Raw 6.2 update

After downloading from Adobe's website, the Camera Raw 6.2 update for PSE 8, I began getting the following error message when opening the elements editor: C:\Program Files\common files\Adobe\Plug-ins\Elements 8\File formats\Camera_Raw_6_2\win64\Camera Raw.8bi is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original instillation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

The editor eventually opens and functions as usual, but not without me getting the error message. What can I do to eliminate the error message? I updated the camera raw, because the original PSE 8 instillation would not support RAW photos from my new Canon 60D camera.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Is the following the specific Camera Raw 6.2 (for Windows) that you used for your Photoshop Elements 8?
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4810
And, did you follow the installation instructions?

What is your computer operating system?

From the download, did you use the content of the Win64 Folder? If so, don't. Use the Camera Raw.8bi file that is not in that Win64 Folder.

Focus on that you have Photoshop Elements 8 which is a 32 bit application.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:56 AM
New Forum User

Yes, I used the download from the link you included in your response and I followed the instillation instructions. My operating system is Windows Vista, 32-bit. So I see what I downloaded was for a 64-bit system.
I don't believe I saw a download for a 32-bit, but will check again and reinstall. Thanks for your response.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Godsoffspring

Thanks for the follow up.

Photoshop Elements is still a 32 bit application that runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system. And, it would appear that the focus of the download is 32 bit application rather than a 64 bit operating system.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM
New Forum User

Still unable to download without error message

Hello, I reinstalled the Camera Raw update, but still didn't see an option to select for a 32-bit system. The download only loads with Win64. I'm not computer literate, so I guess there is something I'm doing wrong; just can't figure out how to correct the problem.

Last edited by Godsoffspring; April 21st, 2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: entered incorrect word
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Godsoffspring

Do not give up. Just to make sure that we are still on the same page, let us do this check list:

Camera Raw 6.2 for Windows and Photoshop Elements download from Adobe (not compatible with Photoshop Elements earlier than version 8, according to Adobe)

The File Name shown on the download progress box should specifically be Camera_Raw_6_2.zip

After the download, you should have a zipped folder on your computer (wherever you have downloads set to go to). After you unzip the folder, you should see this in the unzipped folder:

win64 Folder
and

Camera Raw.8bi File (file for installation)

and

Camera Profiles.exe File

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...92KQnoRFVotf74

Do you see them and are you installing the file Camera Raw.8bi File that is not (has never been) inside the win64 Folder?

ATR
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:52 PM
New Forum User

screen shots of what's on my PC

ATR

I appreciate your quick replies and willingness to help me. I see everything on my PC that you have listed in your response, therefore, I am attaching screen shots of what I have on my computer. Once I click on the camera raw.8bi, and PSE8 opens, I receive the error message.

Thanks

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...qftJgrtCCTZSE0

Last edited by ATR; April 22nd, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Replacement of Download with Clickable Image
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

You don't double-click on CameraRaw.8bi and try to open it. The instructions don't say that.

You move the CameraRaw.8bi file to the folder specified in the instructions.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photos
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:12 PM
New Forum User

Thanks djpaige,

Let me say that when I originally downloaded the update, I followed the instructions, moved the existing plug-in to another location (my desktop), and copied the downloaded camera raw plug-in into the same folder per the directions. It doesn't matter whether I open the application from that folder or when I'm in PSE 8;I still get the same error message.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Godsoffspring

Thanks for the follow up. From the screenshot, you should be in good shape to move forward to success. But, as Paige points out, you do not double click that Camera Raw file to move forward.

You have Windows Vista 32 bit, correct? I have Windows XP Professional 32 bit and Windows 7 Professional SP3 64 bit. So, I am hoping that the paths describe are appropriate for your Vista 32 bit.

1. First you need to find the present Camera Raw file in the Program Files and move it out of the File Formats Folder and to a place out of the way (maybe your computer Desktop).

2. You take this Camera Raw file from the unzipped Folder and move it into the Files Formats Folder in the Program Files (where the previous Camera Raw file was).

Here is the path that I think is applicable for your Vista 32 bit. Local C Drive\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\Elements 8\File Formats

You will know for sure where to place the new file since you will have to find the old file to remove it from the File Formats Folder. So, we should be OK in that regard. Remember there should be only one Camera Raw.8bi file in the File Formats when all is said and done.

Once you have closed out of the Program Files, opened Photoshop Elements 8, and opened a raw file via File Menu/Open, the Camera Raw 6.1 dialog should open successfully. Is all that the case or error messages?

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

Last edited by ATR; April 22nd, 2012 at 03:13 PM.