Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Premiere Elements

Old March 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Known Forum User

Audio and Video out of sync

I recorded some 3gp video clips using my Droid X smartphone and imported them into Premiere. When I play them the audio is out of sync. Is there a way to correct that without separating the audio from the video and trying to line them up?

ps I forgot how to unlink the Audio from the video

Win7, 64-bit, 6GB RAM, Intel 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz
Lr 4.3, CS5, Premiere Elements 11
Canon 60D
Elements Tech Subscriber

Member NAPP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
Dalai Lama
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Michael

When you have clip with video audio linked on Timeline, right click the clip and select Unlink Audio and Video. If you want to link video audio on Timeline, highlight both, right click the highlight, and select Link Audio and Video. There are other ways, but that will get the job done.

You could try to address the audio out of sync in a few ways:

1. Make sure that you are playing back the rendered Timeline before you decide the audio is out of sync....Rendering the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard to get the best possible Preview may show you that everything is really OK.

2. You could make sure that you have selected the correct project preset, that is, the properties of that video matching the description of the project preset.

3. You could separate the video from the audio and use the arrow keys to nudge the audio video into sync (holding down the Alt Key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key ONCE for one frame nudge. If you want a 5 frame nudge, hold down the Shift + Alt key as you tap the right or left arrow key ONCE.

4. Depending on the details of your source media, you might consider converting it into another format. To be discussed further later if necessary.

Is all your phone video/audio out of sync in Premiere Elements or is it just one clip out of all the rest? Is the phone new? How are you transferring the video from the phone to the computer? USB connection from phone to computer or using a memory card in a memory card reader? Details on that please. And are you using Premiere Elements Get Media/Files and Folders to bring the phone video saved to the hard drive into Premiere Elements?

Please review the above and then we will decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

Last edited by ATR; March 24th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Known Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
Michael

When you have clip with video audio linked on Timeline, right click the clip and select Unlink Audio and Video. If you want to link video audio on Timeline, highlight both, right click the highlight, and select Link Audio and Video.
Now I remember

Quote:
1. Make sure that you are playing back the rendered Timeline before you decide the audio is out of sync
Yes, I had done that, but it didn't help

Quote:
2. You could make sure that you have selected the correct project preset, that is, the properties of that video matching the description of the project preset.
I used the standard setting and I didn't get a mismatch error that I sometimes get, that asks if I want to match them. I click yes and the error goes away.

Frankly I'm not sure what that's about, but clicking yes fixes it. As for settings, wouldn't I have to know more about the 3gp file type to know what the setting should be. btw when I play the 3gp it plays correctly, it only gets screwed up in Premiere.

Quote:
3. You could separate the video from the audio and use the arrow keys to nudge the audio video into sync (holding down the Alt Key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key ONCE for one frame nudge. If you want a 5 frame nudge, hold down the Shift + Alt key as you tap the right or left arrow key ONCE.
I tried that but once I get the tracks in line they slowly go back out over the following 15 -20 sec.

Quote:
4. Depending on the details of your source media, you might consider converting it into another format. To be discussed further later if necessary.
I thought maybe that might work, but I am going to try and load the clip into Lr and see if the same thing happens.

Quote:
Is all your phone video/audio out of sync in Premiere Elements or is it just one clip out of all the rest?
I've only made two clips and both behave the same in Premiere. But they play normally outside of Premiere

Quote:
Is the phone new?
It's a new Droid X

Quote:
How are you transferring the video from the phone to the computer?
By a USB connection from phone to computer.

Quote:
are you using Premiere Elements Get Media/Files and Folders to bring the phone video saved to the hard drive into Premiere Elements?
Yes

Win7, 64-bit, 6GB RAM, Intel 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz
Lr 4.3, CS5, Premiere Elements 11
Canon 60D
Elements Tech Subscriber

Member NAPP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
Dalai Lama
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Michael

Please download and install the free gspot utility http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html
and tell us what the read out says for:

Video Compression (Name, Codec, Status)
Audio Compression (Name, Codec, Status)
Frame Size
Frame Rate
sar, par, and dar values
(I am interested in all of that, especially the frame size and frame rate.)

When using Premiere Elements, the correct setting for the project preset in the new project dialog is very important. Based on what you wrote and what I am understanding, this needs looking into in this situation.

From what I have read about the video from your Droid X, it has MPEG4 compression with a .3gp files extension. The frame size is 1280 x 720 16:9 with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. In some places I see 30 frames per second? Is any of that correct? We should know from your gspot readout 24, 29.97, or 30 frames per second.

If so, the use of the "standard setting" (720 x 480 4:3 at 29.97 interlaced frames per second) in not appropriate. We need to look at one of the 720p project presets. If I am correct on the properties of your source media, then use:
(if frame rate = 24 frames per second and frame size = 1280 x 720
if not STOP and post)
DSLR
720p
DSLR720p24
Please give that a look and let us know
a. if the program accepts that project preset, is the audio out of sync gone?
b. if the program wants to change the project preset to something else, is the audio out of sync gone with the program's choice? What did the program select as the project preset in this case?
IF THE FRAME RATE IS NOT 24 frames per second, we will need to select another of the 720p settings in the new project dialog. We will go into which one once we know what frame rate your video has.

ATR