Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Mac-specific Elements Questions

Old March 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Send a message via AIM to victry1 Send a message via Skype™ to victry1
Aperture 3 to Lightroom 4

I'm going to dl the trial of LR4. Does anyone know if I can import my files from Aperture 3 into LR4? I mean the complete file-such as master and edits.

Thanks!

Eleanor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iMac, PSE 11, CS5, iPhone 5S, Rebel T1i, Canon 7D,
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Hi Eleanor,

I have no direct experience with this. You might want to have a look at this article for guidance:

http://www.cultofmac.com/19659/how-t...-to-lightroom/

I would definitely recommend that you try out LR4 with a small number of images before you migrate from Aperture. If you encounter bugs, it may be worth waiting until Adobe provides fixes before committing.

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Julie. That certainly looks like it could be quite time consuming. I do want to give LR a try even though it looks very much like Aperture 3. I wouldn't store a lot of images in there if I did dl the trial. Aperture 3 is quite good, but I find it to be buggy. Plus, to export to Elements or CS5, when I do that and save the file, it saves it with a name that makes it very hard to find. It would be nice if it was more compatible.

Just feeling a tad frustrated today as Aperture took quite a while reloading my pics after my HD was replaced (for the 2nd or 3rd time <groan>). Plus, I made a big booboo when I deactivated Elements 10 and CS5 before they swapped the drives. I hit "Deactivate Permanently" as opposed to "Suspend".......gosh, talk about brain farts! They are actually both working fine but I am going to call Adobe to make sure my license keys are still active. I'm thinking there is a new computer sometime down the road and want to be sure I can install on there.

Thanks for the link, though!

Eleanor

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victry1 View Post
Thanks, Julie. That certainly looks like it could be quite time consuming. I do want to give LR a try even though it looks very much like Aperture 3. I wouldn't store a lot of images in there if I did dl the trial. Aperture 3 is quite good, but I find it to be buggy. Plus, to export to Elements or CS5, when I do that and save the file, it saves it with a name that makes it very hard to find. It would be nice if it was more compatible.

Just feeling a tad frustrated today as Aperture took quite a while reloading my pics after my HD was replaced (for the 2nd or 3rd time <groan>). Plus, I made a big booboo when I deactivated Elements 10 and CS5 before they swapped the drives. I hit "Deactivate Permanently" as opposed to "Suspend".......gosh, talk about brain farts! They are actually both working fine but I am going to call Adobe to make sure my license keys are still active. I'm thinking there is a new computer sometime down the road and want to be sure I can install on there.

Thanks for the link, though!
When you send an image from LR to PSE for additional editing (I can't speak to CS5 as I don't have it), you're given an option to 'Save a Copy with Lightroom Edits'. Then when you are finished with your editing in PSE and click "Save", the edited version goes right back into LR, stacked with the original if you've opted for that. There is no re-naming of the file, except to add "Edit" and to change the file extension to .tif (or .psd.) So, an image in LR might be IMG_3960.cr2 and the version that has taken a round trip into PSE would be IMG_3960-Edit.tif. I don't know how this compares to Aperture, having never used it at all.

I should warn you that if you do download the LR4 trial, you may encounter the "Edit In bug" which could prevent you from sending images to any external editor at all, including PSE or CS5. If so, you may have to uninstall and reinstall CS5 to get it to work.

Click
for my blog

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for that info, Julie about how LR works with Elements and also about the bug thing. They have updated Aperture 3 so I wonder if it works better with external editors. It's definitely a pain to export, open in a different program and then to be sure to indicate where to save and then reimport!

Again, thanks for taking the time to let me know about this.

Eleanor