Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Lightroom

Old March 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Known Forum User

Confessions of a Windows Luddite

Well not exactly a luddite, BUT . . .

For at least 3 years I have shunned Windows Vista and Windows 7 as my desktop system OS. Didn't have a choice on my laptop, and have gotten along with the latest and greatest from Microsoft, but I didn;t get the warm fuzzies either. Now, I have finally hit the wall.

Tried today to download and install Lightroom 4 as a trial - and lo and behold, can't as it needs Windows Vista or later. Probably will be the same for CS6 and everything new from Adobe, so the writing is on the wall - upgrade or stagnate!

So, time to suck it up and get into Win7 or maybe wait until Windows 8 is out and then make the leap.

Hmn . . .
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBC View Post
So, time to suck it up and get into Win7 or maybe wait until Windows 8 is out and then make the leap.

Hmn . . .
...or get a Mac.

Mac OS 10.9
PSE12, CS6, PSCC
Lightroom 5

Canon 5DmII, EF 24-105mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2.0L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Win 7 is the best MS OS yet, and I've had experience with them all, from DOS 3.0. Get a system with some juice and Win 7 and you shouldn't have any issues. Vista was a huge mistake, but the problems were corrected with Win 7. Lightroom 4 takes some muscle to run smoothly, from what I've read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:17 PM

I was a long hold out with XP and passed up on Vista but finally had to bite the bullet (due to the need for a new computer) and I have to confess that Windows 7 is a vast improvement on XP (and an even vaster one on Vista). And I am a Windows fan - I started on Windows 1 longer ago than I care to remember (it came on two floppies back when they were really big and floppy ) - no hard drive back then - just a few kB of RAM - but Windows was the first time I was able to (slowly) do two things at the same time - not that I really needed to but it was nice to know that you could.

Tony
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually use Vista and, once I got to know it and customise it (removing all the useless stuff like Aero), I became one of the few people in the world who like it. At work I use Win 7 and don't notice any appreciable difference, although the techies at work say 7 is faster than XP or Vista.

I do a few computer repairs for my computer illiterate friends and family in my spare time and am their unpaid and free helpline and for them doing semi-technical stuff in Vista and 7 is easier for them to understand than in XP.

Everyone who has a Mac would lay down their lives for them, although I wonder if this is because they have spent so much money that they wouldn't dare admit any fault with them.

Don't hang out for 8, because there will be teething problems and by the time they have released SP1 to fix those issues it'll be another couple of years down the line.

(I did run Ubuntu for a little while, and although I loved the Linux operating system, PSE didn't like it that much. I didn't have Lightroom then.)

Ivor,
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Known Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to JEGavlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor View Post

Don't hang out for 8, because there will be teething problems and by the time they have released SP1 to fix those issues it'll be another couple of years down the line.

Ivor,
I read a review on Windows 8 and am not very excited about it. I held out from XP and switched to Windows 7 beta as soon as it was available. Window 8 is more geared to a tablet version (my opinion) with the touch screens. Here is a link to the review: http://windowssecrets.com/links/vble...F%3Fn%3Dstory1

Depending what your experience is it may interest you. I much preferred DOS and finally switched to Windows 95. Those same DOS commands still work today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was pleasantly surprised with Windows 7. Never did Vista. I know it's heresy, but I like Windows 7. My understanding of Windows 8 is that it was designed for tablets. Have not seen how it will be on a PC.

Old March 11th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Senior Contributor

At work I still use Windows XP 2000 (mandate for state agencies) and at home use Win 7, which is far superior in my opinion. I liked Vista and never had any problems but I do prefer Win 7. Win 8 isn't making my heart beat faster, though. It sort of looks dumbed down and clunky, but I'll keep an open mind. There will have to be some major improvements over 7 to make me switch.

Old March 19th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Known Forum User

Just an update,

Last Year I purchased a recycled WinXP Server - dual XEON quad core, big bad graphics card, 2GB RAM, cheesy 250Gb hard drive (Dell Precision 900).

I upgraded it to Win7 64 bit Pro, 8GB RAM, 1TB additional hard drive and will replace the C: drive in a month or two with a 10K RPM Raptor drive.

Stay tuned . . .
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Known Forum User

Bite the bullet and go with windows 7. I've had them all since pre dos and haven't had a lick of trouble from 7. All I can say is that if you are buying a new machine, get at least a qqquad core 3.4ghz, 8gigs of ram. a video card with no less tha 1 gig with a gpu and a big hd

win8pro/64b 12g ram, 3gvideo, 1.5tb hd