Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:57 PM
New Forum User

file prefix changed?

Hi-

presently I use windows xp with elements 5.

I recently got a new canon 60 D... and at some point my file prefixes have changed from....IMG_what ever the number is.... to _MG_what ever the number is.

The change correlates with the same day I imported pictures off my granddaughter's Vtech camera that I got her for Christmas, she is three. I changed the prefix to Grace's pictures. Hummmmm.
Example gracie's pictures 001 I figure that is just a coincidence because I only changed it for those pictures but then my prefix changed....

I looked around in elements to see where you would change your prefix and was unable to find it....

Anybody got a solution for me....I would like to change it back to the way it was...

I am also taking raw files along with jpeg but the change doesn't correlate with that change.

Thanks,

Tammy

Incidentally file management and knowledge about files are not my forte. So you will have to keep replies simple...

Last edited by TammyTalking; May 6th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Known Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyTalking View Post
Hi-

presently I use windows xp with elements 5.

I recently got a new canon 60... and at some point my file prefixes have changed from....IMG_what ever the number is.... to _MG_what ever the number is.

The change correlates with the same day I imported pictures off my granddaughter's Vtech camera that I got her for Christmas, she is three. I changed the prefix to Grace's pictures. Hummmmm.
Example gracie's pictures 001 I figure that is just a coincidence because I only changed it for those pictures but then my prefix changed....

I looked around in elements to see where you would change your prefix and was unable to find it....

Anybody got a solution for me....I would like to change it back to the way it was...

I am also taking raw files along with jpeg but the change doesn't correlate with that change.

Thanks,

Tammy

Indecently file management and knowledge about files are not my forte. So you will have to keep replies simple...
Mine did the same thing when I got the 60D (I upgraded from a T1i). It's not an Elements thing, because I don't transfer in Elements. I do it in Windows and then import into Lightroom. The files come that way from the camera. I don't really care, since most photos which I deem important get renamed anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure about the Canon, but in my Nikon, the prefix will change depending upon the color space I select. Did you change color space? Check your camera manual on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kostoss View Post
Not sure about the Canon, but in my Nikon, the prefix will change depending upon the color space I select. Did you change color space? Check your camera manual on this.
Joe-

Yes, I did and I will. Thanks.

Tammy

Just the right amount of wrong...
Cosmopolitan Hotel Las Vegas

Old May 7th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Tammy

I read somewhere that you get _MG*when shooting in RGB and IMG when shooting in sRGB.

Not sure if its correct or not but check your camera and see what it is set to

Wendy

"

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:51 PM
New Forum User

Wendy,
I checked some pictures I had changed the color settings on and it correlated with what you had read. Now the mystery is solved and now I can know by looking at the file prefix what setting I have it on. That is helpful information.
Thanks! Tammy

Last edited by TammyTalking; May 9th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
New Forum User

Joe-
After reading Wendy's message I checked some pictures I changed from AdobeRGB to sRGB. The AdobeRGB was _MG* and the sRGB was IMG*. Mystery solved.
Thanks! Tammy

Last edited by TammyTalking; May 9th, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:53 PM
New Forum User

Question ummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeb View Post
Mine did the same thing when I got the 60D (I upgraded from a T1i). It's not an Elements thing, because I don't transfer in Elements. I do it in Windows and then import into Lightroom. The files come that way from the camera. I don't really care, since most photos which I deem important get renamed anyway.

Thanks Rick,

That might answer the source but I still don't know how to change it back and why now after several months of using this camera?

Tammy

Last edited by TammyTalking; May 6th, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Tags
file names pre-fix change