Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Editing and Organizing Discussions > Photoshop Elements Editor

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:29 PM
Casual Forum User

One image into another

How do I place an image (a photo) into a circular hole in another larger image thereby showing photo through/in the hole. I know it will involve layers but Iím stuck part way through. I think I must go to Layer/Group with Previous but cannot find it. I have Elemnets 10 with Windows 7 Please correct my method, also my apologies if this question has been answered before.
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I think I must go to Layer/Group with Previous but cannot find it. I have Elemnets 10 with Windows 7 . . .
Hi Cerberus,

In PSE10 the command is Layer>Create Clipping Mask. (Shortcut -- Ctrl-G)

PSE7,10,11,12,13 (Windows 7 64-bit)

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -- Mark Twain
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:52 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Cerebus ..

The reason your couldn't find "Group with Previous" is simply because Adobe changed the command to "Create Clipping Mask" a few versions back

Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

If there is an "actual" hole in your layer - that is, you can see transparency through the hole (indicated by a checkerboard) - you can place your photo under your original layer and the photo will peek through the hole. Use your move tool to resize and reposition the photo until you have just what you want peeking through the hole.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

Old March 24th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Casual Forum User

One Image into another

I think Iíve started on the wrong foot. I have an image with a white circular shape in the centre, actually itís scanned image of a 45rpm vinyl single (1955) with a 38mm diameter centre all on the same layer. Can I ask what would be the procedure to insert the photo of the artist within the white disc shape. The photo needs to on a separate layer to adjust the position behind the main image (the vinyl single). I am just taking my first faltering steps with Photoshop Elements. A step by step guide would be very helpful. My grateful thanks in advance.
Old March 24th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

There are a couple of ways to approach this. Here is one:

First - if the photo comes up as "background" in the layers palette, it needs to be made into a regular layer first. You can grab the lock on the layer - and drag it to the trash can at the bottom of the layers palette. This will change it to a regular layer.

Using the magic wand, try to make a selection of the white and if you can do it, then just hit delete.

When you hit delete, you will see a transparent area where the circle was - transparency is indicated by a checkerboard pattern.

Now that your layer is no longer a background layer, the photo layer can be dragged beneath it. Use the move tool to resize and move the photo around.

It's the same method as I explained above.

If you have trouble selecting the white circle with the magic wand, you can draw out a circular marquee selection and hit delete - with the same results.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera