Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old January 6th, 2012, 08:18 PM
New Forum User

Wacom Tablets

I've never used one before, but I think I'd like to try one to add to my toolbox, I'd be using it mostly for photo manipulation and sketching. It can be hard to "draw" with a mouse. Can anyone recommend a good starter one to use with my PSE4, that won't break the bank? I am not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just something to enhance my PSE experience, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gretchen
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Wacom's Bamboo Fun line has a couple of models that will work great as a starter tablet. You need to look at the overall size to be sure that you have the room on your desk. If you have a very large monitor, 21" or larger, you should look at tablets with a larger active area, otherwise the pen movements on the tablet become highly exaggerated on the screen and hence it becomes more difficult to control fine movements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:47 PM
New Forum User

Thanks for your advice Joe. I'm using an external monitor for my laptop, and it's 17" I think. I will take a look at the Bamboo Fun line.

Gretchen
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Casual Forum User

I have the very basic Wacom tablet, now many years old. It's served me well. I do a lot of photo restoration, some rather complex, and it's all I need. I can't imagine doing photo restoration without it; and it's a huge help with more details photo editing. Unless you're a professional, whatever iis now the entry level tablet would probably have way more features than mine, and would likely do anything you want it to do. No need to spend big bucks.

Photo a Day (in theory)

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:20 PM
New Forum User

Thank you Bobbie.
I'm hoping I get one for my birthday.

Gretchen
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I was forced to Upgrade!
My trusty Wacom Tablet or my Pen really had gone to the way side!!
One button messed up and the rubber on the bottom was peeling off due to age and long time use!

Anyway, I had upgraded to a Wacom Pen & Touch which is a fantastic new addition to the Line!! I made the purchase for the small size which is about a 4x6 which works fine for me. I used them on the 21" monitors and now my 17" Laptop without any problems.

I see your comments and I have to correct you about something!!
Once your starting to get the hang of the Pen Tablet, you will almost Never Ever go back to JUST the plan Old Mouse!

I use my Pen Tablet for 100% of everything now, except for when I'm typing like now. But scrolling and editing??? Nope, use the Pen!!

Good Luck and I know your going to really enjoy using the Pen!

Nikon D80Nikon D700 Nikkor 70-300 VR f:4.5
Nikkor 60mm f:2.8 Macro Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 IF EX DG HSM
Nikon 85mm f:1.8D Vivitar 283 Nikon SB900
Sekonic L358 Manfrotto 055XB Tripod

Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head X-Rite Color Checker Passport

Old April 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Casual Forum User

I'm a little late in posting. I've used a Wacom table for several years now and wouldn't be without it. I do a lot of altering on my photos, as you can see in my gallery here. Making accurate selections and detail work would be a real headache for me without a Wacom tablet. It does have a learning curve but not a serious one. Good luck to you.

TonyD's Photos

Canon 5D Mk II, Canon Rebel SL1, Canon Lenses: 24-105, 100-2.8 macro, 70-200 F4, 400 f5.6, 40 STM

Tags
wacom tablet drawing