Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Images and Creative Techniques > Digital Scrapbooking

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Casual Forum User

First Scrapbook Page

Hi,

I'm attempting my first scrapbook page and would appreciate your feedback. I consider this a work in progress and don't mind re-doing this from scratch to learn how to do it better. So take a look and tell me what you think. The larger photo has the Orton effect applied to it. I think it gives it more of a period look. But I'm not sure about placing it along side two others that don't have it. What do you think? What embellishments would you add here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paris Island Scrapbook Page_edited-1.jpg (40.8 KB, 64 views)
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Denny, hard to tell what's going on, other then the subject looks good, but it looks a little too symmetrical. The text is too small to critique.
It looks like a Marine in the Pacific.
If yes then you may wish to use a low opacity map of the island group he served on as a background.
Can you post a larger copy?
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Casual Forum User

Scrapbook Page

Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming. Here's a larger size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paris Island Scrapbook Page_edited-1-1.jpg (61.0 KB, 37 views)
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Denny ...

I like the layout but like Frank would suggest something a little more asymmetrical. I tried moving the lighter panel over to the left a little ... moving the main photo over to the right a little and I think it does need something to fill the gap on that bottom row. I just added a star so that you could see what I mean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

Old October 5th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Casual Forum User

Scrapbook Page

Wendy,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the bottom right needs something too. I'm thinking about adding more text that would further identify the photo locations.
Old October 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Enlightened Elder

Hi Denny ...

I don't think that I would be inclined to add anything more ... except maybe a map faded out into the background (as Frank suggested)

Wendy

"

Old October 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Casual Forum User

For your first page this is awesome

The only thing I'd recommend is experimenting more with pretty much anything and everything.

Here are some things you might want to play with:

Changing the blend mode and/or opacity of the layers
Adding additional layers of embellishments or textures (once again don't be afraid to play around with blend modes and opacity)
Try repositioning your elements. You can move what's on the bottom to the top, what's on the left to the right. By doing this you might come across a composition you like better.
Add shadows and layer styles. You can apply shadows to the photos and mats and experiment with shadows and some of the other layer styles on the title.
Try changing the font and/or shift the colors.
Use brushes (try grunge or distressed)

For more inspiration you can check out the Tip of the Week @ Scrappers Guide.

http://www.scrappersguide.com/category/tips_el/

You page as it is is lovely, but if you aren't satisfied with how it is right now go through the suggestions. Really, the most unique pages are achieved by experimentation. There are so many ways to experiment within PSE with the amount of filters, effects, etc. So experiment and have fun.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
Casual Forum User

Printing Scrapbook Page

Ok,

I've got something I'm pretty comfortable with now. I used Wendy's tutorial on making a pearl necklace as a starting point for making the chain for my dog tags and I think it works well.
Now I'm considering sources for printing my page. A while back I read some links on this but can't recall where. Does anyone have suggestions on where to print a scrapbook page? Also, are my elements too close to the edge or should I not worry about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parris Island Web-1.jpg (68.4 KB, 16 views)
Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Your layout is wonderful. I can't believe this is your first attempt.

Your dog tags and chain turned out fantastic - so realistic. Great job.

The only comment I would have is I would like to see your chain have something to do with some other part of your layout. Usually I "thread" the chain through a photo or journaling. I'm not saying it doesn't work as you have used it, I'm just suggesting there might be another look that would work, too.

I can't recommend any printing companies - I print at home.
Epson R1900; Epson NX430 Printers
Nikon Coolpix S8200 Camera

Last edited by cats4jan; October 22nd, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Casual Forum User

Scrapbook Page

Janice,

Thanks for the suggestion on the chain. I'm going to try it. If there's a way to do it well it would literally connect the various elements together.