Elements Village

How to use the forums

Go Back   Elements Village > Photography Discussions > Photography Equipment

Old June 10th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Casual Forum User

Nikon D90 or D5000

What would you buy.....

Thanx for your answers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Senior Contributor

shnupita,

I'd buy a D90 for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is that the body of the D5000 lacks a motor to drive "AF" lenses, requiring you to purchase only "AF-S" lenses.

You can read Ken Rockwell's opinion of how the two compare.

Byron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens" - Jerome Horwitz
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Known Forum User

I recently weighed the same question. I chose the D90 in the end. Partly a preference for the more expansive options left open with the D90--Byron talked about this in his response. My real deciding factor though, was that the D5000 didn't feel as good in my hand. Adding a grip to solve that problem brought two snags. One it would probably put the price back up in the range of a good deal on the D90 and two the place where I was shopping didn't show any reference that Nikon was marketing a grip for the D5000.

The camera store did mention they had sold 3 of the D5000 the previous day and we used that knowledge to negotiate down a fair bit on a D90 set up of body and two lens.

Good luck in your decision!

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I would buy a D200. They are being discontinued and the price is right. I used one for a couple of months while my D80 was in the shop. It put the D80 to shame!

The D90 is just a slight bump up from the D80.
The D200 is a pro-camera. (check out the price)

~kimi~

Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

shoots a Nikon D800.
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Casual Forum User

It depends on what features are important to YOU...and how the camera feels when you hold it.

If you don't know what features are important to you, I would hop on the Nikon site, DP Review and google compare D90 D5000 and read every write up there is on it. POP Photography has a write up on the D5000 in the current issue. On DP Review, because people fail to search, the question, should I buy a D90 or D5000 has come up countless times...so you can see some responses there.

I got the D90. Traded in a D80 for it. I like the extra features of the D300, but the D300 is just way to big and heavy for me. My husband has the D300 and I did want one because it is just perfect...but there is no way I could hang on to it and the thought of carrying it around for a day (especially when traveling with a bag with 3 lenses, an extra battery, a flash)...welll, I couldn't....so I got the D90. Personally, I would not consider the D5000, but that's why they make so many different kinds...you know, different strokes, for different folks.

I LOVE it! It's a great camera. I shoot only RAW and can't speak from the jpg side if you shoot jpg.

If you have some REAL camera stores in your area, I would go and visit them and handle the camera and hear that they have to say.

If you've never owned a film SLR and just coming from a p&s maybe the D5000 would be for you. It's been popular.

Good luck researching and deciding.
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
New Forum User

Go with Nikon D90

I would go with the Nikon D90 . I just got one, and I love it The pictures are amazing. I got mine for $850 using cashback
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

While I can not attest to the image quality of the D5000, the D90 is by far superior in image quality over the D80 and D200, it rivals the D300. In fact, the low light capabilities of the D90 is superior to the D300, and in my opinion second only to the full frame sensor found in the D700 and D3.

The D90 will not disappoint you.

Jeff
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Perry View Post
While I can not attest to the image quality of the D5000, the D90 is by far superior in image quality over the D80 and D200, it rivals the D300. In fact, the low light capabilities of the D90 is superior to the D300, and in my opinion second only to the full frame sensor found in the D700 and D3.

The D90 will not disappoint you.

Jeff
As to what Jeff had mentioned, I think I've heard that the sensor for the D90 is the exact same sensor for the D700 but I'm not sure.

As for the D200 that was mentioned, you also have to keep in mind that the D80 even though it is still a great camera it is a low level Pro version. The D200 is a Pro version camera and was made for the Pro's and in those days of the early digital photography not everybody went out and got the Pro Level equipment. The D300 and the D700 are in my opinion the same level as the D200 quality and if your talking about the Pro Level Stuff you have the Nikon D3 or D3X and the Canon side you have the 1DS MK III to think about. Different level equipment, different level price as well but the results of the images will show it. It all depends on how much money you want to put in the Digital Camera age.

If I was looking for a camera and had the money, I would get the Nikon D700. You see, I'm a Still Photographer and I don't need or want Videos from my camera. If I want Videos, I'd borrow a friends Video Cam or go out and buy one. I wouldn't even think of using a Video Camera to capture still images from so why would I go out and try to use Videos on my Still Camera??? Never understood why the companies are trying to force feed us the use of the Videos?

Nikon D80Nikon D700 Nikkor 70-300 VR f:4.5
Nikkor 60mm f:2.8 Macro Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 IF EX DG HSM
Nikon 85mm f:1.8D Vivitar 283 Nikon SB900
Sekonic L358 Manfrotto 055XB Tripod

Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head X-Rite Color Checker Passport

Last edited by Not4wood; September 28th, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
New Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4wood View Post
As to what Jeff had mentioned, I think I've heard that the sensor for the D90 is the exact same sensor for the D700 but I'm not sure.
That doesn't sound right, the D700 is a full frame (24mm x 36mm) sensor while the D90 is a DX or (1.5) crop sensor. They may have similar amount of imaging sites (mega pixels) but the full frame sensor will have it's imaging sites more spread out. Simply put, This allows better performance in low light, at the cost of 1.5 image magnification.

I might be a little odd but I prefer a DX sensor most of the time and couldn't possibly justify the cost of going full frame, especially with the cost of full frame lenses.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

The image sensor is only half the story (of digital images). The on-board image processing computer (EXSPEED in the case of Nikon) is constantly being improved, and while the D90 does not share the same sensor as the D700, the D90's image processing "smarts" are probably on par with the D700 given the state of improved performance.

Incidentally, while a 12mp full frame may have the same number of pixels as a 12mp APS-C sized (DX) sensor, the full-frame's photo sites are larger, hence better light gathering, less heat = less noise, etc. Better all around performance. Ironically, when Nikon took the D3/D700 full frame sized 12mp and pushed it to 24mp, the photo sites again became smaller in order to cram the additional photo sites on the same size FF sensor, and some say at the expense of losing all the benefits gained previously by going FF to begin with.

Jeff