PDA

View Full Version : Organizer vs. My Pictures vs. Backing Up

dottieg
April 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I have been putting all photos from camera or scanner into My Pictures. Then I "get photos" to put them into Organizer. I work on slideshows, etc. as I have a chance.

My question is: when I am done working on the photos, can I delete them from Organizer and assume they will still be in My Pictures? Will I have a "need to reconnect" problem?

I have copied all photos to disks so don't really need them in the Organizer. I have so many photos - over 6000 - in there. It is no wonder that the program tells me I need to back up. However, since I understand the back up part of the program is not too good, I elected to make sure I had copies on disks and in My Pictures.

Does anyone have experience with this and suggestions?

mom to 4
April 25th, 2006, 08:13 PM
dottieg:

I am willing to bet you will get a ton of responses and opinions on this! I am struggling with this now also. I have copied all of my pics to disk and to me the organizer is just a mountain of photos which could take forever to navigate if I were looking for one through it. I just took the course on the organizer and I must say, I already knew about 90%.

I BELIEVE that when you decide to delete a photo from the organizer a box pops up and asks if you want to just delete it from organizer or also delete from the hard drive. I have been backing up to disks through a different program on my computer not PSE. I am not sure which is right. I am toying with the idea of getting an external HD to keep all the pictures on, but at $169 for a $250 GB hard drive, I could use up 100 CD's for only $14.

Not much help am I?????:confused: :o

Ward Grant
April 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM
My question is: when I am done working on the photos, can I delete them from Organizer and assume they will still be in My Pictures?

Dottieg,
The concept to remember is pictures are not technically "in" Organizer. They are stored on your hard disk and Organizer simply is a window to look at them. If you delete an image from Organizer AND answer YES to Delete From Disk, the picture is gone.

If you need to delete the photos from your hard drive, you can use the Burn/Move command which will place the larger files on a CD (DVD) and keep a smaller "proxy" image. If you want to reload this picture later for additional editing, clicking on this proxy will prompt you to insert the CD (DVD).

Edit: Here is a link to a recent discussion on external hard drives.
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8692

Mom To 4 has a valid arguement that the initial costs of CDs (DVDs) is usually much smaller then the initial cost of an external hard drive. However, there are discussions on how reliable these disks are for long-term storage. Many users prefer external hard drive as most are simple "plug and play" and you don't have to shuffle disks. It is a personal choice.

Shari
April 25th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I'm dealing with this right now too. My computer has been in the shop with a virus or adware for the past week and now I know how important it is to have everything backed up. I had backed up all my photos through my HP programme Sonic Record Now - but when I checked the DVD on my husband's computer I only had the photos from "my pictures" and none of the ones I have edited in Organizer. I have been busy this week but my main objective is to try to back up all my photos. I have read on some thread that the backup in Elements is not to be trusted. I have to read or have someone help me to get right into the elements folder to backup the photos that have been edited. Right at the moment I am very hesitant about doing anything but working in Elements and being on this forum until I see that things are working OK again. I did have another 512 ram installed at the same time but really don't notice a difference in the speed.
Shari

What I want to do is have a DVD ready and backup each time I load my photos but then I guess I also have to backup after I do an edit. It is all so confusing but supposed to be so simple. Maybe it's my age!!!!

crippencreek
April 25th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Personally I would not be without my external drive. I have two - one dedicated to pictures and one to my wifes mp3 collection. By the way hers is much bigger.

mom to 4
April 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I have backed up and copied. I am not quite sure what the difference is. Sheri, why wouldn't your edited photos be on there???? If you back up a whole folder wouldn't it take the entire file?? I actually have my folders under the my documents section.....don't know why, but I have just never changed it.

Shari
April 25th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Colleen, this is something I don't understand too well. When I backed up my photos the Record Now programme I have came up with the dates of my photos from my folder "my pictures" so I don't think it backed up my organizer. Thursday I have some time so I am going to try and figure out just where the edited photos are and burn a DVD. There are some things I seem to grasp right away with no problem - and others baffle me. I just got an e-mail from someone I sent the 40 minute DVD I made from our cruise photos. They were just blown away and said they watched it on a big screen and could not believe all the zooming, music and great captions and how professional it was. Now I got that Proshow and caught on right away and was off to the races. No problem. But when it comes to something supposedly simple like backing up or downloading actions from a site - it gets confusing.
Shari

Ward Grant
April 25th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Shari,
You know you can ask any questions you want here and we'll be glad to help you. I am sure we can get a process worked out with you that will give you a comfort level when it comes time to backup your photos.

What I think confuses many people is there are two "parts" to Organizer-the photos themselves and an underlying MS Access database that holds all the information on tags, collections, etc. In addition this file is normally "hidden", making it even more difficult to find (I guess Adobe did not want the casual user to tweak this file).

Most backup programs do not know of the relationship between the photos and the database so it does not know to backup this file also.

Shari
April 26th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Thank you for your kind offer Ward. I probably can't get to this until Friday. Is there a particular folder or file I should be looking for? Also, which is best for backing up - the Record Now programme I have in my HP computer or the backup programme in Elements? I want to back up everything. My photos, Word, favorites, address book - everything. Thanks in advance.
Shari

Hamlet 77
April 26th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Ward Grant has probably summed it up best, Organiser doesn't 'contain' anything it is a handy way of finding, moving, reviewing and yes organising any number of photos.

If you can't 'find' a photo, no need to worry cos THAT is what the organiser does, keeps track of where anyone has put a photo, provided you did anything with it in the organiser and if you didn't, the organiser can try and find it.

On here I read a lot of posts from various members who mentions ways of storing, backing up and burning their archives I have not done anything with 11,000 photos that the organiser cannot handle, any problems or difficulties I have encountered I have to be honest have been MY fault.

Personally I am always a little puzzled by the criticism the organiser recieves from some quarters.

mom to 4
April 26th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Hamlet:

Do you have 11,000 photos currently in your organizer????? I find it difficult to scroll through the maybe 200 I have on there. I think I must be doing something wrong. I have lots of stacks on it, and lots of tags....I guess that is one major reason to do the back up through PSE, huh?

Hamlet 77
April 26th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Hamlet:

Do you have 11,000 photos currently in your organizer????? I find it difficult to scroll through the maybe 200 I have on there. I think I must be doing something wrong. I have lots of stacks on it, and lots of tags....I guess that is one major reason to do the back up through PSE, huh?

Ooh I'm a lickle liar!!!

10,465 photos in organiser as of 14:05 today....

I have taken a inordinate amount of photos of my dog... and about twelve months ago I scanned as many negatives as I could find, including 1500 photos on safari, about 500 motor racing shots (NOT my best) and lawd knows how many photos from holidays over the last <ahem> years.

That figure does not include versions, for some photos there can be quite a few.

BTW that is in my main catalogue, I keep track of various back ups and copies of photos in other catalogues BUT my main catalogue has just about every photo in digiital format...

Any photos I have taken off the web get's in there some of them should have been dumped a long time ago and about 30 very dodgy scans of the newspaper pictures I made after last years champions league final.

Maybe that is why I am so keen on the organiser, I can see a) what each file/photo/scan is and b) get at it rather easily...

mom to 4
April 26th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I only have the one catalog.....just started this since Christmas. But what I am wondering, is how you can scroll through to find the photo you are looking for?????? Doesn't that take you forever???

Hamlet 77
April 26th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I only have the one catalog.....just started this since Christmas. But what I am wondering, is how you can scroll through to find the photo you are looking for?????? Doesn't that take you forever???

Well no that is what tags, collections or even my other catalogues are for, I mean if I want flowers they will tagged under garden/gardens. My pet's over the years all have seperate tags as do members of my family.... IF like Tyr (my dog) which I do have thousands of photos I have rough idea when photos were taken and use the calender mode to find them inside that tag. Except for 'Tyr' tagged photos I reckon I can find any photo in less than a minute and of course if that photo is backed up the organiser tells me which cd to load (as does MY own collections labelling) Maybe if I am just glancing through my organiser looking for something to 'play' with might take a while. It just seems perfectly normal to me to do things that way....

Again to go back to my advocacy of the organiser I don't have to worry about 'Where did I keep that photo of the Leopard in in South Africa?' heck it could be stuck in some wholey inappropriate folder on my hard drive, the organiser will know, provided I used the organiser to put it where it is (hence don't do anything outside the organiser) and PSE will get it and let me play to my hearts content.

Doesn't everybody?

mom to 4
April 26th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Hamlet:

I have just spent an hour playing in my organizer and I believe I am getting the hang of it and can really see why you are not having a problem with 11,000 (ok, what was it 10,400???) pictures in it. I have tagged things and put them in stacks and I can see where that is a handy tool;)

Bayla
April 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Only an hour Colleen? I've spent nearly three hours today, tagging, stacking etc! And I've finally moved all the originals onto CDs and deleted them from my camera. Personally I feel that if the pictures are on the hard disk and safely copied onto a CD then one might as well delete them from the organiser and just leave the edited versions there.

Bayla

dottieg
April 26th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all the responses to my questions

Ward, if I understand what you said - I can burn/move files to CD/DVD and the thumbnails will still be in Organizer. When I click on the thumbnails, PSE will tell me to insert CD/DVD. And, I am assuming that they will still be in My Pictures unless I delete them from the hard drive. As I have already copied them all to DVD, should I delete them from Organizer and leave them in My Pictures? I have tags on them all so think I am using Organizer to my advantage.

I am always leary of the burn/move as one time I thought I was burning a slideshow and it was removed from my computer - moved to somewhere that I don't know!!!

I was reading a discussion of this same problem yesterday and people were saying they had up to 50,000 photos in the Organizer. I guess since I have only 6000+ I really don't need to do anything right now.

The discussion leads me to think that the back up process is not very good. In my case, it said it would take 225 minutes to back up and 3 DVDs. In addition, the verify process adds more time. Is this normal? I don't have time to sit and watch until the verify question comes up. Would an external drive be quicker? One person said they wanted to back up each day. This wouldn't be feasible for me. And, it doesn't seem to do an incremental backup.

This sort of sounds jumbled to me but hope someone will know what I am talking about. Thanks.

Karin Sue
April 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I can burn/move files to CD/DVD and the thumbnails will still be in Organizer. When I click on the thumbnails, PSE will tell me to insert CD/DVD. And, I am assuming that they will still be in My Pictures unless I delete them from the hard drive.

No. The files are never IN organizer. Organizer is like a library card catalog. The cards have the tag, category, collection, etc. info and a thumbnail and a reference to the location of the actual photo file. When you delete an item from the catalog it throws out the card. If you check off the delete from hard drive it will also throw out the book/image. It is because Organizer contains not the image itself but a reference to its name and location that we see all these missing/reconnect problems when people move their files outside of Organizer. Move and rename files from within Organzer.

If you download from your camera/scanner/etc. through Organizer, your photos will be put in an Adobe folder in the My Pictures folder and imported into Organizer at the same time. Default folder name is date downloaded.

If you already have your pictures on your hard drive and use "Get Photos from files/folders" to put them in Organizer they stay right where they are; Organizer does not make a copy of them, just a note as to where they are located.

Note: very important not to "Get" from a temp folder. You will lose your image and any edits (edits save to the same folder as original unless you specify something else) when you clean up your hard drive. This can happen with emailed photos. Be sure to right click and save attached photos to your My Pictures folder before importing to Organizer. Or use the move in Organizer if you notice any images in a temp folder location.

When you burn/move files from Organzer it will take them off the hard drive. They will no longer be in your My Pictures folder. It will retain the thumbnail and make another larger thumbnail or proxy image. When you want to work with one of these photos it will prompt you to put in the cd you burned it to.

When you back up your images you want to include your catalog file (.psa) and your folder of proxies. I am not sure exactly where they are located. I think they are hidden files and folders somewhere in documents & settings.

Some people have used the Organizer back up feature without a problem. Others have encountered difficulties. When it is working there is an incremental back up feature--you just can't add to the same cd. You need a fresh cd for each increment.

I am always leary of the burn/move as one time I thought I was burning a slideshow and it was removed from my computer - moved to somewhere that I don't know!!!

When you want to leave the originals where they are you need to use burn/copy.

Shari
April 26th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all that info Karen Sue - but unfortunately I am still confused. When you say not to "get" from temp folder. Why would you be getting from a temp folder? I don't know what this means. Also when you say when you burn/move files from organizer it will take them off hard drive - I don't want to do that.

What I want to do is burn everything I have in my organizer. All 1600 photos have been edited - most just color but a lot tut editing I have tried. When I originally burned my DVD from my pictures the edited photos did not appear. Also if I put in some photos (like today I took about 8) one I have already edited. I would like to keep two of the photos and the one edited version. I thought I should just be sticking in a DVD after every time I download photos but if an incremental backup has to be put on a new DVD each time - that can get expensive. In Scott Kelby's book he talks about backing up each time but he is referring to the Elements backup and I have heard that is not a reliable programme. But then again, you would not have your edited photos saved so you still have to backup again. I really would like to have someone come to my house and show me. I think backing up is critical and for some reason I have a mental block around the process. I remember in the old days at work backing up Excel every day and just sticking in the floppy and adding each days changes or work. Cannot I do that with a DVD? Would any of you like to come over and show me? I will pay by the hour!!
Shari

mom to 4
April 26th, 2006, 08:23 PM
My head is just spinning!!!!!!!

Bayla: I said I just spent and hour tagging and stacking, etc. I NEVER SAID I FINISHED!!!!!!:D I could probably spend another couple hours and still have stuff to do and I have no where near 6,000 pics on there:D I am, however, trying very hard to do this everytime I take pictures. Even if I only have 30 or 40 on the card, I take them off, tag and stack them and delete them from the card. Now watch, I probably shouldn't take them off the card until the card if full.....now that would just be my luck!!!!;)

Shari
April 26th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Colleen, I put my photos in my computer every time I take photos. Sometimes it is 6 and sometimes 66 but I put them in - attach the applicable tag or make a new event and tag them all with that. If people are in the photos I sometimes put on two tags for family and the event or whatever. You can have as many tags on a photo as you want. I have not bothered stacking because I have a lot of room on my computer. I never leave photos on my camera card. Both cameras have a 512 and it would take a long time to fill them. I read the manual and set up organizer from nearly the first day I got elements and that was one thing I had no trouble with - now the backing up is another story...

Hamlet 77
April 27th, 2006, 05:35 AM
mom to 4.

Funny I am not a fan of stacking, unless it is another version of a photo, say for web publishing that for some reason doesn't get saved in a version set, I tried it with the pictures of my dog about three months ago, as I had a mad idea of putting all similar shots stacked and printing off some contact sheets. So I created a seperate catalogue called 'Stacks' (neat name huh?) and started to wade through, BUT I came unstuck PDQ as to the definition of 'similar', just how many variations of him on the decking should there be. Or walking through the woods? Close Ups, playing, definintion started to take up more time than actually stacking so I gave up and yes I do have to scroll through quite a bit BUT if it is there I can usually find a lot faster than it takes to make any adjustment or creation.

Again thanks to the organiser I was able to just discard the folly that was 'Stacks' and didn't affect how I stored or catalogued anything elsewhere.

OOps just noticed your reply about your head spinning, that I think could be a problem. DON'T think about it too much, keep any tags simple. Husband, kids, each having their own tag in family obviously. DO NOT bother with dates, your camera and PSE all ready does that, projects, work in progress, fairly obvious things. Again DO NOT have 10 tags on one photo, yes it may be a wedding (in events) or a holiday (places), with 2 of your kids and an auntie from Boise, Idaho, unless it is a very example of the Auntie from Boise, just keep it under the main tag of the holiday or wedding.

I try to keep it one tag for one photo, OK a couple do get two, Shakespeare's Birthday weekend and my dog, BUT I did take the SBW tag off a couple yesterday because, they were just piccies of my dog lazing in the sun at the caravan park, the birthplace or the RST was not in the photo so the event had no relevance. I also find keeping sub tags is pretty daft, yes maybe I could find photos faster if I had a sub tag under Tyr (my dog) of 'lieing on the deck' BUT it just seems too much like hard work.

And finally as I find myself saying increasingly, cos I do think people forget this, do not be afraid of creating a new catalogue, this can act as another 'level' of organising and because the organiser is so designed you are not actually loading a photo again onto your HD or creating a new disk/back up you are just 'laying another path' to find a photo.

probably teaching the more experienced how to suck eggs, but it works for me and IMHO, the organiser is a very good tool and so easy to use/adapt to your own requirements.

Karin Sue
April 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Shari,

I don't get photos from temp folders but that it can happen was recently reported on a thread in this forum. I think Organizer was set to open jpgs and so when an email picture was opened with organizer it opened from the temp folder (which is where email pictures reside unless you specifically save them to a picture folder). She then proceeded to work on them and the edited versions were also saved in the temp folder as edited versions default to the same folder. When she did a clean up she lost all the files. So this is just a word of warning to double check that you don't have anything accidently stored on a temp folder that you want to keep.

I prefer to leave windows picture and fax viewer as the associated program to open jpgs, etc. I like to decide to import an image into Organizer (actually Album 2) rather than just have any image I open imported. So I shouldn't encounter that problem.

Whenever you MOVE something the original will not be where it was and you will still have only one copy. COPY is what you are looking for.

I have no idea why your edited images are not on your dvds. As I mentioned above my edited files default to the same folders as the originals so if I copy a folder in My Pictures via windows they all get copied. ---I just had a thought. How are you looking at the images on the dvd? It may be that the program you are looking at them with will not recognize a psd and there is a good chance you saved edited photos as psds rather than jpgs.

I recall in another thread that someone was doing backups to folders on the hard drive, a folder for the initial full back up, and one for each incremental back up. He then burned them with his regular burning software that does not lock the dvd/cd. Apparently you would then have to copy them back to the hard drive before you could do the restore. Or maybe you could use cds rather than dvds for the incremental back ups to keep the costs down.

To recreate your catalog after a disaster you would need the My Catalog.psa file and all of the photos with the same names and in the exact same folders that they were in when the catalog file was working. So if you want to back up manually, that is what you need to make copies of.

I need to do a backup. I have been planning to do one "next week" for a couple of months now.

Douglas J. Mace
April 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
With regard to backups, I have not been able to do any incremental backups, but I have done complete backups many times and also restored these twice and everything went smoothly. Organizer gives you the choice of backing up files, or the catalog. If you choose the copy files option all you will get is a backup of your pictures. Backing up the catalog allows you to restore everything the pictures and the catalog to just the way Elements was when the backup was made. If you backup using other software you can have the pictures and catalog backed up, but you may have trouble finding the backup of the catalog to restore it. I backup all my files on the computer everynight using Retrospect incremental backups. This happens while I am asleep. I backup the catalog and pictures using elements about once a week or when ever I have made a lot of changes to the catalog. I just wish they would fix the problems with incremental backup. If I lost everything I would first restore the catalog and pictures using elements, then I would recover using Retrospect all pictures that were changed and backed up since the last Elements backup. If these file names and locations were not changed, Elements would have the most recent editied version even though it was not included in the elements backup. If the file names were changed (lets say I saved a picture as a jpg that was a tiff) after the last elements backup, I would have to use "get pictures" to bring the jpg image back into the catalog. But if I just edited the picture and saved it with the same file name, the edited file would be restored with Retrospect and the catalog backed up earlier with Elements would still reference this edited image.

Douglas J. Mace
April 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM
You should be aware that stacking does not save room on your computer. It simply allows you to see more photos on your screen by removing the redundant versions of some pictures.

BOBBI
April 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Hi, since you all seem to be on the same page, does anyone know if it is possible to put the Organizer part of Elements on an external drive? If not, how could one coordinate photos stored on an external drive and not on the computer HD? I would LOVE to be able to store all my photos on the external drive and THEN search for what I want with Organizer.
I have been thinking of ACD systems, too. I wonder if THAT program could be put on the external drive. I tried to get an answer from them, but I guess I did not explain myself properly.
Thanks, Bobbi:)

Shari
April 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
This might sound dumb but where can I find out how my photo is saved - jpeg or Psd? I thought I could click on the photo in the organizer and find properties but this shows the camera info. As I have said before when I backed up my photos any that had been edited and save as psd files did not save. And where would I find these on my C drive? I am going to back up the Catalogue tomorrow in Elements and hope this works for me. The trouble is that I am not sure if each time I edit a photo (like today) the whole thing has to be backed up again. I use these edited photos for cards so would like to keep them.

Karin Sue that you for your long explanation. I am looking at my DVD with the HP softward Sonic Record Now. I don't know how I would know if it recognizes my psd edits.

Douglas - Where would I get Rectrospect or find out about it? Thanks.
Shari

Norm F
April 28th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Shari,

Try this. Start button>Search>Click "Pictures, Video, Music>Place check in Photos and Pictures> click the search button.

All of the photos on your hard drive will appear when the search is complete. Run your mouse over them to see their location.

If you just want the photoshop files, put .psd in the "All or part of file name field.

Dee Dee Warren
April 28th, 2006, 07:04 AM
I never liked the oranizer. It looks like with PSE4 one is more forced into using it, I kinda resent that a bit. I likely will give it a second shot and see if I still dislike it.

apasskey
April 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Can you add a new catalogue and move photos already in the organizer into the new catalogue? If so, how do I do it. I have one catalog with lots of collections. My list of collections is getting a little long!!!

Bayla
April 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Andie,

Yes you can. I did it just yesterday after watching a training video entitled 'Creating a Catalog' from the following website

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=147

I copied some photos from My Pictures to the new catalog then deleted them from the old one. Don't forget to uncheck the 'Do you want to delete the files from your harddrive' box.

Bayla

Karin Sue
April 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Bobbi,

It seems to me that some people put all their photos and their catalog .psa file on an external drive.

Then they can access their catalog from different computers. You need to be sure that all computers assign the same drive letter to the external drive. Elements needs to be on all computers. I think you might end up with some empty my catalog files on the computer harddrives so you would have to be sure to open the correct catalog (the one on the external drive).

Shari
April 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Can someone please tell me where the catalogue.psa file is? I cannot find anything of that name. Also my Albums file is empty - should it be? Thanks.
Shari

Shari
April 28th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Wow - thank you Norm. I just checked all my photos. I have nearly 4,000 in there. I will go through and delete some of those not necessary. One thing I have been doing and maybe I shouldn't have is when I first put my photos in the computer I do a quick fix on them or fix in the editor - then I save the new one and delete the old one and from the hard disc. What I don't understand (AGAIN!!) is that my organizer shows I have 1368 files in it and when I do it Norms way of searching I get nearly 4000.
Shari

Karin Sue
April 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Norm's method shows all the photos on your hard disk.

The Organizer shows only those photos you have imported to the Organizer, so unless you had Organizer search and import from your hard disk it makes sense that you have fewer image files in Organizer.

As you delete files, make sure that the ones that have been imported into Organizer are deleted from within Organizer.

Shari
April 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM
You guys must be sooo sick of me. I just went through all my photos - from the search way Norm said. I thought I deleted about 50 but it says about 220. I only got 1/3 of the way before dinner. Now I find that there are duplicates of all the photos - like the second half of the photos are the same as the first half. Is this because they are in my organizer and on my hard disc? Are they taking up room? Can I delete one copy? Also when I get them down to the photos I want to keep could I burn them from there and then I know I would get the .psd files? I think I might be getting over confused with this - if there is such a thing!!!
Shari

Shari
April 28th, 2006, 10:43 PM
And again - Karin Sue - when I load my photos from my camera they automatically default to the organizer. That is what opens up and then I check and delete what I want from there - so I figured all my photos were in my organizer. Again confused.

Ward Grant
April 29th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Can you add a new catalogue and move photos already in the organizer into the new catalogue? If so, how do I do it. I have one catalog with lots of collections. My list of collections is getting a little long!!!

Yes, you can. Adobe's official mantra is One Catalog but many users have multiple catalogs.

First off, are there any Collections that can be deleted. Did you make a temporary one to gather pictures to make a special CD or to send a set of pictures to friends? If yes and you don't think you will need these again or they are easy to re-create, you can delete the Collection. The images will remain in Organizer.

Now, for the remaining Collections, it gets a little tricky, if you have images that appear in multiple Collections, which many people do. The easiest way is to make a copy of the catalog outside of Elements and then delete the Collections (but not the images) you want from each Catalog.

If you need steps on this, post back with your version of Elements (only to be sure to get the correct path for the catalogs) and we can walk you through the steps (post was getting a little long).

EDIT: Forgot to ask-Are you using Collection Groups? If not you could create some groups say Family and Vacations and then move your current Collections under this group. You can then collapse the Collections to only the Group Titles show. If you had 20 collections and 2 Groups, you would only see the 2 Groups. When you needed a specific Collection, you would click the Group Header and expand the list of Collections.

Karin Sue
April 29th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Is this because they are in my organizer and on my hard disc?

Pictures are not IN your Organizer. The Organizer catalog database contains only a low res thumbnail of the picture and a reference to the location on your hard disk. Be very careful what you delete.

And again - Karin Sue - when I load my photos from my camera they automatically default to the organizer. That is what opens up and then I check and delete what I want from there - so I figured all my photos were in my organizer. Again confused.

There are images on your harddrive other than the ones you have downloaded from your camera. So unless you restricted your search to your "My Pictures" folder you will be getting other images. View details and check out the folders that the images are in.

I just did a picture search on my harddrive, viewed details, and sorted by image name and found some images were listed twice. They had identical names, location, sizes, dates etc. I right clicked on the name and chose "Open the containing folder". There was only one incidence of the image. Something similar may be happening to explain your duplicates if you are trying to manage from the search. I don't think that is a good idea. You should be managing from within Organizer.

Try the search on your dvd to see if your missing edited files show up.

If you suspect there are more files in your My Pictures folder than in your Organizer you should try a "Get Pictures" from files and folders and choose your My Pictures folder. It will take a while and any images that have not already been imported will show up in the new import batch.

I am still using Album, it does not have version sets. It has only the edited version and a hidden original. I have the impression that the image count counts only one for the pair. I am not sure how version sets are counted but that may account for some of your count differences.

Norm F
April 29th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Shari,

I suugested that you do the Windows search because you were trying to locate photos that are not currently in Organizer and this is just one way to locate images so you can see where they are stored on your computer.

Karen's suggestion of going Edit>Get photos and letting it search the My Pictures folder is a good one. Then you'll have everything in front of you in Organizer and you can delete duplicates, etc from there.

Once the photos are all loaded select Window (up top by the File, Edit stuff) Check Properties and Dock Properties in Organize Bin. As you select each photo you can refer to properties to determine the location of the file, file size, etc. so you'll be sure to keep the best copy of any files which appear to be duplicates.

Ward Grant
April 29th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Hi, since you all seem to be on the same page, does anyone know if it is possible to put the Organizer part of Elements on an external drive? If not, how could one coordinate photos stored on an external drive and not on the computer HD? I would LOVE to be able to store all my photos on the external drive and THEN search for what I want with Organizer.
I have been thinking of ACD systems, too. I wonder if THAT program could be put on the external drive. I tried to get an answer from them, but I guess I did not explain myself properly.
Thanks, Bobbi:)

Bobbi
I just saw your question in this post.
Putting Organizer on an external drive is very easy.
Purchase a USB connected mega-gig hard drive and plug it in.
Open Organizer and use the Move Tool to transfer your photos over to the new drive. This will keep all your tags and collections intact.
With a large number of photos, this may take some time, but it is not an all or nothing type of operation. Over a period of days, you can move part of your photos each day. Organizer just writes a link to each photo so it doesn't really care if some are on Drive D and some are on Drive C.