PDA

View Full Version : Can I set the OPEN folder to always display thumbnails vs. details?

pegkral
March 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Is there a way I can set the OPEN folder to always display thumbnails vs. details?

I looked around under Preferencs and didn't see anything.

Peggy

Ward Grant
March 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I think I understand what you are asking-if I am wrong, post back.

When you click File>Open, look at the last icon to the right of the Open In box. It will be a white square with a blue top. Click the little down arrow next to this and you should see menu options Thumbnails, Tiles, etc.

Select the one you want and it should remember this setting the next time you open Elements.

NMarti
March 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Ward
Actually it doesn't. I've wondered this for a long time myself and wanted to post the same question and forgot until now. Every time I open a file I have to change it to Thumbnails even if I have not closed Elements. It's a real pain to keep having to change it but I can't seem to find a way to change it permanently either.

Jan Ruthig
March 26th, 2006, 10:49 PM
For Windows XP -

R Click on the Start Button L Click Explore
L Click View and select Thumbnails

Next L Click on Tools>Folder Options>View
Click the Apply to All Folders

Spyder
March 26th, 2006, 10:53 PM
There are registry hacks for this kind of thing, I find it a pain in the proverbial as well in some programmes I use, like getting a detail view to stick instead of a list view etc. It depends on the programming and whether the developer allowed for setting the user's view preference to be saved in the registry or an ini file etc. MS Word does what you require properly because it uses Windows standard Open Dialog boxes and not proprietary dialog boxes which tend to lack some procedural calls common in the Windows dll's.
Unless the registry hack targets the programme in particular you end up with the new default view being global to all programmes unfortunately.

Spyder
March 26th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Jan I think the poster wanted the thumbnail view to show in just one programme vs across the board, I stand corrected if that's not the case however, I've been wrong before...shhhh!

Jan Ruthig
March 26th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Spyder,

I have too a time or two so ...sshhhhhhh is right!:)

Unfortunately, I think it is all or none for the Folder Options.

pegkral
March 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I'll try Ward's suggestion, but I don't think that will do it because the first thing I do after I use the OPEN folder is change it to thumbnails so it is easier to choose the pictures. But the next time I open elements, it sometimes reverts back to details. That is the puzzle.....it doesn't do it all the time! It is infuriating though to have to change it during a project!

I have my folder options set up to show thumbnails because I am mostly working with pics. So that doesn't solve the problem.

Any other ideas out there?
Peggy

lwhjlh
March 27th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Peggy, I have XP Pro and pse 4 and it always opens with thumbnails. Don't know what the problem might be.
:mad: :mad:

jo
March 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I have xp media edition and it never hangs onto thumbnail view in pe4. :(

Larry, those are really nice sketches in your gallery. :)

TonyW
March 28th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I have XP Home edition and the way I did it was to go into My Computer and under the Tools Tab go to Folder Options then View and make sure the box that says Remember each Folders View Settings is checked. That seemed to work for me. Open in Elements uses a Windows routine so that's why you have to fiddle with Windows not Elements to change it.

Tony

lwhjlh
March 29th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Jo, I think I read the problem too fast about the thumbnails. Scratch my answer. I just looked at your gallery and its true that females can do photo's must better than most males. Yours are at the top of the list. Keep up the excellent work. I have a Sony VAIO also. I have 2Gb RAM. I thought I would need it to edit home movies for myself and some relatives. I have Media Center, Canon printer, Olympus C-8080. Hope to get a Canon someday. Need another car before a camera. I'm going to look at your web site as soon as I post this. Thanks for the gallery comment.

jo
March 29th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Larry, but I must disagree about females being better than males in this area. My photos often look like fun to me, but not very professional. However, photoshopping takes care of a lot of things that would otherwise be throwaways. :rolleyes:

Jan Ruthig
March 30th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Jo and Larry,
I also have the Sony VIAO Media Center (2GB RAM) with PSE3. As a matter of fact I have the same scanner and printer as Jo too. :D But I love my Nikon!! :D

fabulousmoi
December 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I so hope this isn't redundant....I didn't even look at the "post Date. Prolly 1997. But I have had this issue for 6 years and just a month ago, THE FOLLOWING,vv-below-vv is the way I finally fixed it for good.

I had to make sure I had a folder/thumbnail on the screen (which is the constant view I wanted all along) I went in from My Computer by left clicking on the start menu, and clicking on "Explore"
So then I had the start menu window open, and I clicked on "views," and then "Thumbnails," so the folder in the start window was displayed the way I wanted them from now on. If you want "Details," then display that folder in "details," etc.
Then I clicked on the Folder Options- the drop down box - there the Folder Options control window displays.
I Clicked on the "View tab,"
And in the check off menu, I made sure that the sixth check box under "Hidden file Folders" the one that said "Apply to All Folders" button was checked.
Now this is the "Clincher" the part that never happened when I tried to change folder views permanently before-
--A confirm box came up prompting me to change the view of all folders to be like the folder you have displayed- or not. We want to click "YES"
Then you want to follow up by Clicking OK at the bottom of the View tab to close the Folder Options control window.

And YAY! :p Your finally viewing the way you wanted. Even after rebooting a million times, (Another action that repeatedly changed my viewing preferences back to the old view.)

I hope this worx for you or anyone whoever might inquire, again, it worked for me, and my computer is clearly possessed :twisted:
..... I'm just sayin.
--------------------------
une dernière chose
On a side note and-As a novice, I read your conversations RE: the Sony VIAO. Well, I have been giving purchasing one,...some very serious thought. I have never owned a Laptop/Notebook/Etc. YEP, I'm "The ONE!!" (Can you believe?) So, I was wondering if I can ask you all a really stupid question?
You seem like nice people, so I assume you'll indulge me-
What are the major differences between a Viao, with all the best software bells and whistles, VS. a regular PC? Please view this from a Graphic Designers perspective- I run Corel-Paint Shop Pro/Animation shop, I upload a lot of high res. photos, it's my job....You see, I work for those who are or once were referred to as "The Beautiful People," but in the new age of H-D, they come to me with or I am assigned photos where if the public were to view "As is" well, we'll just say, some "Enquirer" paparazz-o, could afford an early retirement, with all the even year-ed wine they could drink, a-top their Gianni Versace Designed, Tuscany Villa & Vineyard. FOREVER.
SO- over the past few years our celeb clients have had to beat them at their own proverbial game- IOW's "certain recognizable people" will purposely pose and sell their own, advanced- new baby/family or wedding photos, to reputable syndicates such as "O.K. Magazine," or "People," etc. to insure the more sinister rags, are less likely to go to the extremes they do, to be THE FIRST to get "The SHOT," or to publish first.
As most of those ill-considered, and impromptu unprepared shots, are embarrassing in the very least.
My job is to take the, *allowed,* - *prepared,* photos, each approved, and make them even more easy on the eye- prior to publish. To make sure that little baby *Blank's* dimple is the same shape as Dad's, or that gorgeous twinkle in the eye, is the exact shade of *blue green* as mama's gorgeous twinkle. If there are well done prepared photos already done, and published first, and all the world's seen them, there's less of an emphasis, certainly less of an imposition on the `happy new family.
Now-this wasn't supposed to turn into a novella about the responsibility of the paper press,...
But I mainly wanted to explain my job, the timing factors, the privacy, and the fact that we are dealing with PHOTOS that must be of the highest quality...and resolution when I send them off for print, -So you could judge whether a the VIAO or some other Laptop is feasible..... Make sense?
So, am I crazy to think I might be able to one day accomplish all of this while running "Rhett" at the dog park? Or while waiting to board a flight?
Is this something that my HOME/WORK PC's only capable of producing?

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for considering an answer, after all, I'm not certain this is the place for such a question:confused:. But thanks in advance anyway...

Warm regards-
VB:)

fabulousmoi
December 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
....I mentioned Paint Shop Pro, And Animation Shop, but neglected to add "ELEMENTS.." A slight "DUH" on my part. Sowwy.
OBVIOUSLY... pls add "Elements 6.0," along with several others.
I'll cease to be annoying now.

bigfish
November 20th, 2009, 11:00 PM
My sister was looking for the answer to this old question and found this forum... She asked me if I have ever heard of it. I said yes.... I love this forum, I just don't have much time to contribute.

Anyways this is what we found out...

Email...
Me:
I just discovered that if the folder is in the "My Pictures" folder it will display as a thumbnail view. Move the same folder out of the "My Pictures" folder and it will not...
Are all your photos in the "My Pictures" folder?

Sister:
No, They are in folders on my Desktop.

Me:
Try coping one of your folds to the My Picture folder then try opening it in PS...

Sister:
Okay that works. I wonder what makes it work. I don't see anything special in the customize folder that would make it work differently. I suppose I could start using the My Pictures folder... I wonder if I can move it to the desktop?

You should look this up on that site. No one ever gave that girl (Nancy Marti) the right answer. She even said that it worked sometimes. Maybe some of her folders were in My Pictures and were customized correctly.

thanks for your help and good night. Love, Pat
End Email...

I have tried this on five computers with the same results.
Don't know if it's a windows thing or PS thing but I will keep working on it...

Diana
November 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks, BigFish, for solving this mystery. I've always wondered why this was inconsistent myself.:)

Diana