PDA

View Full Version : Drag and Drop and keep the same size

windy13
October 24th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I have two documents, both with 300 DPI. The first is a 4x5 image and the second is an 11x17 page. I am trying to drag the entire 4x5 image (it's composed of several layers) onto the 11x17 page and keep it the same size. However, when I drag and drop, the 4x5 image is enlarged to fill the full width of the 11x17 page. I tried to hit shift while moving and it still happened. I recently upgraded from PSE10 where I did this regularly and can't figure out how to do it in PSE12. I have an iMac with OS 10.8.5

I feel like it's a setting that I need to change but can't figure it out!

Zeria
October 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Hi Windy

Welcome to the Village.:)
Iím on a Mac and just moved up to PSE 12 from PSE 10. Hereís one way to do this. Open both images and then select Window>Tile. The images will be placed side by side. Clicking on an image will make it active and the layers become available in the Layers Panel. Then drag and drop. If you are dragging more than one layer, holding the shift key while dragging will keep the layers aligned. Sizing should not be a factor.

HTH

windy13
October 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the reply! This works if I have a couple of layers and want to move both of them. However, my smaller image consists of 20+ layers and only 3-4 of these layers are selected and need to be transferred. I can't get all the currently selected layers to move properly to the larger document and maintain the size, even in tile.

What I'm doing is creating graphics using different options from my layers in the smaller file. Then, I move it to an 11x17 page to print it. So, I need the the entire smaller document as is to move to the larger page. Any suggestions on that?

frank abramonte
October 24th, 2013, 03:45 PM
What I'm doing is creating graphics using different options from my layers in the smaller file. Then, I move it to an 11x17 page to print it. So, I need the the entire smaller document as is to move to the larger page. Any suggestions on that?

If all you're doing is printing the image then merge the layers before dragging it over.
Then revert the original so you don't lose the layers you merged, or close the original without saving.
I hope I've read you correctly.

Sepiana
October 24th, 2013, 04:16 PM
I have two documents, both with 300 DPI. The first is a 4x5 image and the second is an 11x17 page. I am trying to drag the entire 4x5 image (it's composed of several layers) onto the 11x17 page and keep it the same size. However, when I drag and drop, the 4x5 image is enlarged to fill the full width of the 11x17 page. I tried to hit shift while moving and it still happened. I recently upgraded from PSE10 where I did this regularly and can't figure out how to do it in PSE12. I have an iMac with OS 10.8.5

I feel like it's a setting that I need to change but can't figure it out!

Hi windy13, welcome aboard!:)

Are you by any chance dragging the smaller file from the Photo Bin onto the larger file in the workspace? If this is the case, you may want to check this THREAD (http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?p=677383#post677383). A similar problem was reported. The smaller file being dragged from the Photo Bin expanded to fit the size of the file in the workspace. This seems to point towards a possible bug in PSE12.