PDA

View Full Version : How to add high quality PDF image into Premiere Elements 8

danbs10
November 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Hi, please help.

I want to add PDF files into my timeline.
To be more precise the PDF file is a musical score (sheet music) and I want to display it briefly before my video starts.

however I am unable to do this as Premiere Elements will not allow me to import it.
It says it does not support the file.
I have tried converting this PDF into a jpeg and then into premiere elements but the picture quality is very poor.
I need to import this PDF into premiere elements whilst still maintaining the the high quality of the image.

Many thanks

ATR
November 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
danbs10

The important questions and answers in this case are:

What is your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project preset?

What are the pixel dimensions of the original PDF? And what are the pixel dimensions of the jpegs that you derive from it?

And, what is your intended export for the Timeline content of this Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project?

The answers will be in the details.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

danbs10
November 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hi,

project preset is - PAL DV Standard 48khz,

I intend to briefly place the first page of the score in the timeline and then zoom and pan across it before a transition into my music video.

As for the pixel dimensions of the PDF file, I don't know and I don't know how to find that information out.
When I view this particular PDF in adobe acrobat on my HD laptop the picture quality if flawless.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your precious time!

many thanks

Dan

ATR
November 12th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Dan,

Did you create the PDF? If so, that would be great since then we would know the sizing that you used for it. If not, you could import the PDF into Photoshop Elements which will let you obtain jpegs of the PDF contents, and then check out the jpegs via Image Menu/Resize/Image Resize and the Image Resize dialog.

We can also move forward learning of the sizing of the jpeg derived from the PDF. Two ways that you can do get those pixel dimensions:
a. take the jpeg into Photoshop Elements Full Editor, Image Menu/Resize/Image Resize dialog and check out the Pixel Dimensions and the Document Dimensions and Resolution.
or
b. import the jpeg derived from the PDF into Premiere Elements, and, when you get it to the Timeline, go to the Project Media View, right click the file there, and select Properties. The pixel dimensions for the jpeg file should be there.

But that brings up another point....how did you obtain the jpeg from the PDF? In the jpeg creation, did you have control over the sizing (pixel dimensions)? Maybe there is a possibility for going back and getting a higher resolution jpeg from the PDF?

It is important to remember that no matter how great the resolution of that jpeg, if your project preset is PAL DV Standard and your export is going to be DVD-VIDEO standard, then the standards for that export will dictate a frame size of 720 x 576 pixels in the export. So, it does you no good having a jpeg with pixel dimensions that exceed 1000 x 750 (close enough to the 720 x 576 and leaving some room for pan and zoom if that factors into a situation).

Right now we need pixel dimensions requested to determine the nature of the challenge.

ATR

danbs10
November 12th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Hi, thank you for your very detailed responses.

I have just imported the PDF into photoshop elements and the dimensions are as follows:

Pixel Dimensions - 22.2m
Width - 2377 pixels
Height - 3265 pixels

Document size:
Width - 20.13 cm
Height - 27.64 cm
Resolution - 300 pixels/inch

I hope this helps

Many thanks

Dan

ATR
November 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Dan

The PDF information was very helpful. You are not yet confirmed the pixel dimensions of the jpegs derived from the PDF, but for now I will assume that the information supplied for the PDF is applicable to the jpegs.

That would give jpegs
a. portrait oriented, with Width = 2377 pixels and Height = 3265 pixels (that looks like a 3:4 aspect ratio)

b. in your PAL DV Standard project destined for DVD-VIDEO PAL Standard, those pixel dimensions will not be maintained a 2377 x 3264. Instead they will be encoded as 720 x 576, far less than the resolution of the originals.

If you wanted to export the Timeline to a HD file saved to your computer hard drive, then we could be thinking, resolution wise, 1920 x 1080. That is much better than 576 x 720, but still not as good as 2377 x 3264.

If your requirement was to export your Premiere Elements Timeline to disc, then to get your 1920 x 1080, you would have to consider Blu-ray disc format on a Blu-ray disc.

In your plans for this jpeg display at the start of the Timeline...do you envision any opportunity to import the jpeg, scale it up without distortion, and then do a pan across the music in the sheet?

Please review the above and let me know if any of that helped.

Thanks.

ATR