PDA

View Full Version : Which Version?

VideoImpact
August 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hi guys. I am new to the video editing software outside of Windows Movie Maker. I have been looking for something more advanced and think that I have narrowed it down to Adobe Premier Elements. My question now is what version to go with. 7,8, and 9 are available on E-bay and some auctions include the Photoshop as well. I've read both positive and negative reviews on all of the versions. I'd be interested to hear your feedback. Thank you. Doug

ATR
August 1st, 2011, 05:30 PM
VideoImpact

Premiere Elements questions should be placed in the Premiere Elements Forum here so that they do not get mixed, lost, or overlooked among the Photoshop Elements ones. For that reason, I have moved your thread here to the Premiere Elements Forum.

It is typically best to go with the latest version and especially after it has been out a while so that it has established a "history", this case, Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 which was released about Sept/Oct 2010. You can get a very comprehensive idea of what is what with version 9.0/9.0.1 by reading the two threads pinned to the top of this forum...the first look one and the daily discoveries one. There is also valuable insights into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 in that area. All programs, Adobe or not, are dependent on the computer environment so check System Requirements before "venturing forth". And, remember that Premiere Elements (any version to date) is a 32 bit application that runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system and as such has the limitations of 32 bit system, namely, max supported RAM 4 GB of which typically 3 GB or less of that is available.

BUT, consider that a new version of Premiere Elements is due to be release around Sept Oct 2011. No one, except Adobe, knows what new features will be in the new version. All sorts of wish lists going around...many looking for a 64 bit application (like Premiere Pro CS5) that can take full advantage of the resources of a 64 bit system.

With regard to your simplified question "Which version?", that has always depended on who you ask and when. When Premiere Elements 7 was released, users who hated Premiere Elements 4 now hated Premiere Elements 7 and loved Premiere Elements 4. And, when Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 came out, users hated 8.0/8.0.1 and loved Premiere Elements 7. And so it goes. There are those who continue to blast version 8 and cannot be convinced otherwise. But, I and others have found it works very well after the 8.0.1 Update.

You need to try out these programs in your computer environment before purchase. If you do not, you may have invested time and money into something that is not going to work for you in your specific computer environment. No one's review of a product is going to tell you if and how well the product works in your computer environment. Adobe offers a tryout for the latest version only and does not support T/S questions for earlier versions.

Perhaps the most important question is what do you want to produce with the video editor that you are seeking and what specific features are you looking for?

Lots of questions that can only we answered by you...not a people's choice.

ATR

VideoImpact
August 1st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Thank you ATR, I really appreciate your input. Sorry about the misplaced post and thanks for putting it in it's proper place.

ATR
August 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
VideoImpact

Whatever your decision, wishing you success with your video projects.

We can help you with your workflows for any of the Premiere Elements versions, so do not hesitate to ask for help with your Premiere Elements projects if and when needed.

ATR