PDA

View Full Version : RAW images from Canon 550D

Pocket Pixie
January 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Can someone please tell me how I can open RAW files from my Canon 550D in Elements 7. I get the message that the file is damaged or is a form that cannot be included in the organiser. What am I doing wrong?

dj_paige
January 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM
PSE7 cannot work directly with photos from your Camera.

You have to download the DNG Converter (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4924), convert your photos to DNG format, and then you should be able to open your photos in PSE.

TeleFragger
January 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Can someone please tell me how I can open RAW files from my Canon 550D in Elements 7. I get the message that the file is damaged or is a form that cannot be included in the organiser. What am I doing wrong?

well the 550d is basically my t2i right?

i know for fact that even adobe photoshop cs5 which is NEW.. needed an update to access the RAW files for my camera...

so not sure if there are any updates to Elements 7 to add the camera raw 6.3 which is what i believe you need...

so elements 9 should do it... or you can use the canon Digital Photo software that came with the software to edit the raw files... another option is LightRoom 3.3

either way i think you are in need of a software upgrade unless DPP (canon's software) works for ya....

JulieM
January 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Pocket Pixie and welcome to the forum.

To elaborate on what Paige said, in order for Photoshop Elements to open the RAW files directly from your 550D, it needs Adobe Camera Raw version 5.7 or higher. The problem is that you need a more recent version of PSE in order to run the newer ACR plug-in. You would have to update to PSE 8 or 9 to get a compatible ACR version. Paige has given you an alternative (using the DNG converter) but I thought you might be interested in knowing this in case you're ready for a PSE upgrade anyway.

Pocket Pixie
January 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Thank you for those quick replies. I think I'll try and download the converter first and see how I get on. I need to master Elements 7 too so I think I may be on this forum quite a bit!