PDA

View Full Version : How do I add a caption to photo in photobook created in iPhoto '09?

NettieBee
October 15th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Hi,

I'm getting ready to put together my first photobook in iPhoto '09. I have some Titles, Descriptions, etc. attached to the photos. Can I use one of them as a caption? I thought I read where I could but can't figure it out.

In the layouts button I see caption boxes available, but they are not movable and oftentimes in the wrong place, basically not flexible enough.

Thanks for any help.

Annette

NettieBee
October 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
After much research, I never found an answer, so I called Apple. The simple answer is that you cannot add a caption to individual photos in iPhoto. Maybe there is a workaround, but I have not been able to figure it out nor find anything online.

JAW
October 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Not sure if I understand your question - this is what I got from you question.
Yes, you can change the title or description of a photo (in or outside of iPhoto).
Just two shots to show all changed descriptions.

http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1lRwfcgfzUOVNOH3gCW10olVKPfg0_thumb.png (http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1lRwfcgfzUOVNOH3gCW10olVKPfg0)

http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1gALROIfnyPOg9jZFmxMvcTya44xe_thumb.png (http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1gALROIfnyPOg9jZFmxMvcTya44xe)

NettieBee
October 16th, 2010, 06:07 AM
JAW,

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for not being clearer.

Here is another attempt: Have you ever made a photobook (Keepsakes button) through the iPhoto software? On some of the pages I wanted to put a special caption, other than the defaults of the template. You would think that you could add a text box, but Apple tells me you can't.

Within the program, iteself, I understand how to change the title and add a description; it's the photobook option where the question arises.

I've seen the question on numerous forums, but never found a conclusive reply until I called Apple. I think I'll still try iPhoto anyway for the book. Templates may be just fine.

JulieM
October 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I've only created one photobook using iPhoto, but the theme I used (I think it was the one called Modern Lines) had placeholder captions for each page. I had to delete them because I didn't want to caption at all. Which theme are you using and does it not have these placeholder captions at all?

NettieBee
October 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
JulieM,

Your post made me think that maybe various Themes provide different options. I came across the link posted below (I can't imagine documenting this stuff), but it is helpful in getting a a feel for each Theme and what it offers.

http://www.iphotobookthemes.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage

In my original post, my question had to do with wanting to place a caption under EACH photo, as in using the iPhoto Title as a caption. For example, to show a child (Angie) at birth, 6 mos., 12 mos. 2 yrs. with a major caption for the page as in Angie Grows Up. But, that does not appear to be the case.

iPhoto books look like fun and I think I will pursue with it for my first one anyway.

Thanks for the replies. This forum is great!

JulieM
October 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I see now what you were originally getting at, wanting the photobook to import your iPhoto titles. Shame it won't work because it sounds like it would make your project simpler. Anyway, thanks for posting that link. I'll probably get more iPhoto photobooks in future so that will come in handy in choosing a theme. Good luck with the book!

frank abramonte
October 16th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Annette, I've never used iPhoto since I create my own layouts. I looked through the templates offered and they don't seem too complicated.
You should be able to copy the layouts in PSE and do your own book. This will allow you to include backgrounds and captions of your choosing.
The experience will broaden your understanding of how books are created.
If you need help just post your progress.

NettieBee
October 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Hi Frank,

You are correct about the complexity of iPhoto's albums. I don't think they would be that difficult to recreate in PSE. When you say that you create your own layouts, do you get the pages bound somewhere? Do you upload a file type? Would you mind saying where if that is the case?

Thanks.

frank abramonte
October 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hi Frank,
You are correct about the complexity of iPhoto's albums. I don't think they would be that difficult to recreate in PSE. When you say that you create your own layouts, do you get the pages bound somewhere? Do you upload a file type? Would you mind saying where if that is the case?

Thanks.
I've designed and created my own books. I've done 9 books with Viovio all created by me and uploaded to them.
I do my books using QuarkXPress, which is an advanced publishing program for layout and text, and import my photos from photoshop.
When complete I save them as PDF files and upload them to the printer.

You can create the entire book using PSE and upload to any number of printers.

Many on line printers now offer layout templates. If you find a layout template you like you can upload your photos and text directly to the template. If you don't find one you like then design or copy one you do like and upload the complete book.
It's best that you contact the printer before you begin so you understand their specs. Also make sure you work in no less then 300 dpi for good quality output.
You can begin by making small layouts on paper for each spread showing and marking the placement of photos and text. This will help you keep track of things when laying out the book in PSE.
For easy access, gather all your photos and text into one folder or folders named for the pages they will be used on. This will avoid having to hunt all over for each item. You can also crop some of your photos before saving them into these folders.
If you need additional help post back, or post back with your progress.

NettieBee
October 19th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the detail Frank. I've checked out some of the online services and Viovio was up there for quality. I saw their templates but didn't think about creating my own. Each seems to offer something different.

I'm looking forward to this project, actually projects as I expect to make many books.

Thanks again.

sherylking
November 4th, 2010, 10:39 AM
In my previous life (as a PC user), I created each page of a photobook in PSE, then uploaded to Shutterfly. Worked great. You could probably do the same thing on a Mac.

frank abramonte
November 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
In my previous life (as a PC user), I created each page of a photobook in PSE, then uploaded to Shutterfly. Worked great. You could probably do the same thing on a Mac.

I do it all the time on a mac, very easy...convert to PDFs and upload, no problems.