PDA

View Full Version : Blurry Photos

Jami1369
February 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I am brand new to Elements 8. I have always work on AVID but it has been a while since I have done any editing. I am trying to make a DVD of just still photos. The photos look great on my computer, but when I import them to Elements and put them in the timeline, they are blurry. Do I need to change any of the settings? I have taken the pictures at 3264x1840 and 3264x2456.

Wendy
February 12th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Jami1369

... and welcome to the Village :)

It sounds like you are using Premiere elements so I will tranfer your thread over to the Premiere Elements section ..

Wendy

ATR
February 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Jami1369

First, if you are heading for DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen in Premiere Elements 8, you should downsize those photos so that each of them has pixel dimensions that do not exceed 1000 x 750 pixels. The standard frame side for NTSC DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen is 720 x 480, and the more work the program has to do to downsize them from "3264x1840 and 3264x2456" to 720 x 480 the more the likelihood of failures. You can batch resize these photos in Photoshop Elements Full Editor/File Menu/Process Multiple Files or Photoshop/File Menu/Automate/Batch. At least one report suggested that the photos should be "clearer" under those resized circumstances.

Are you running Premiere Elements 8 with Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features disabled? If not, please do so and use those features when and if needed on a command basis.

Once you get your photos on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline and want the best possible preview of the end results, press the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard. After that is completed, the red line over the Timeline should turn green. You are not improving the quality of the end product with this procedure. You are just getting the best possible preview of the end results. The ultimate judge of quality is the play back of the DVD-VIDEO on the TV via its DVD player.

Of course, make sure your computer is optimized and defragment frequently. Check available RAM and free hard drive space. The numbers that you see for them in the System Requirements is only "minimum", typically to get the program installed.

Another approach is to compare the results from import of .psd (flattened) version of your photo vs the .jpg version.

Based on two recent reports, you could go for a clean and complete reinstall of Premiere Elements 8. That approach seems to have helped at least two users with problems "similar" to yours. But, keep in mind, that problems may have the same symptoms, but have different causes.

Please check out the above, keep me updated on your progress, and let me know if you need clarification or further information on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

Jami1369
February 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks! I will try everything you said and give you an update.

ATR
February 12th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Jami1369

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

Jami1369
February 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I tried everything you said. It did not change the pictures much. When you look at them on the timeline, they are a little blurry. When I hit fill screen they are very blurry. Could it have anything to do with using an HD camera?

ATR
February 12th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Jami1369

What Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog) are you setting for your project? NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen or other?

When you get your photos rendered on Timeline, try
(a) right clicking the Premiere Elements 8 Edit Mode Monitor, selecting Magnification and then 100% instead of the default "Fit". Did that improve the image quality in the Edit Mode Monitor?
(b) putting the Magnification back from "100%" to "Fit". Now right clicking the photo on the Timeline, selecting Field Options, and then applying "Always Deinterlace" or "Reverse Field Dominance". Did either improve the image quality in the Edit Mode Monitor?

If you took a few of the resized photos and burned them to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, what does the quality look like on the TV via its DVD player?

Did you purchase Premiere Elements 8 as a boxed purchase with installation disc or did you purchase it as an online download? If you have a way to re-install the program, then it may be time for a complete uninstall/reinstall of Premiere Elements 8 based on those recent results that I cited in a previous post in this thread.

ATR

Add Ons.....
You could try looking a the results with or without "Enable GPU Playback" checked in Premiere Elements 8/Preferences/General.

Also Could it have anything to do with using an HD camera?
Pixel Dimensions of the photo taken here would be the issue. The pixel dimensions that you cited are typical for an 8 MP camera. You are less likely to get into trouble if you downsize (and downsize yourself rather than letting the program do it). Upsizing typically results in distortion and poor quality although some newer TVs claim to upconvert DVD-VIDEO for TV HD display, enhancing rather than diminishing the quality.

Jami1369
February 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I changed the magnification to 100%. That really helped when I am looking at the timeline and it is still...all the pictures look great. However, when I hit the play button, they become blurry while the video is playing.

ATR
February 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Jami1369

Did you try looking at the Edit Mode Monitor with and without the "Enable GPU Playback" disabled in Edit Menu/Preferences/General?

Have you tried the Field Options options of Reverse Field Dominance or Always Deinterlace?

For now take two of the photos (do not bother resizing them), get your best view in the Edit Mode, and then burn them to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and see what quality you actually get on your TV screen via the DVD player.

Please let me know how you do with all those tests to focus in on the major causes of what you are seeing.

ATR

Jami1369
February 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
I have exported the project to a DVD. It looks the same as on my compuer - on a smaller screen it is less blurry and on larger screens it is very blurry. Anymore suggestions :)

ATR
February 23rd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Jami1369

on a smaller screen it is less blurry and on larger screens it is very blurry.
What size screen is the smaller one and what size screen is the larger one?
You realize that the end product is 720 x 480, not the high resolution of 1920 x 1080, and would not be expected to look better as the screen size used is larger. However, I have seen ads for some newer HD TVs claiming that the DVD-VIDEO playback quality is enhanced by its specific HD TV player.

I am still wondering if this is a quality issue or an expectations issue. We went down this road with at least two others recently. In the end, their problems disappeared with a complete and clean uninstall/reinstall of Premiere Elements. Did you do that yet? If not, it may be worth the try.

Please keep us updated. If one plan does not work, then there is always something else to explore. I tend not to give up easily, if at all.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR