PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Cuda?

BoilermakerU
February 10th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I was looking at the GTS 250 card for my new PC, and was wondering if PE8 can take advantage of the CUDA technology at all. It's my understanding that CUDA is supposed to offload some CPU load to the GPU?

I see that there have been issues in general with nVidia cards, and they may or may not be overcome with driver updates and removing the 3D glasses thing and the Phisix thing. I don't care about gaming (especially those two features) as much as I do getting maximum performance for video editing.

If there is no performance advantage to it, I'll stick to my ATI card and avoid the other hassles.

ATR
February 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
BoilermakerU

I have not run into any chat about NVIDIA CUDA and Premiere Elements version 8 or earlier. You can read where CyberLink, Nero, and, to some extent, some versions of Premiere Pro have embraced the NVIDIA CUDA support and have seen gains in H.264 and maybe MPEG4 AVC/H.264 encoding. I have also seen recent blog talk about whether Adobe should go the "CUDA" or "OpenCL" path.

So from what I have pieced together so far and until proven otherwise, I am left to assume that Premiere Elements 8 does not support NVIDIA CUDA.

I will report back if I run across anything significant and definitive on the matter.

ATR

ATR
February 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Add on....

I think that the NVIDIA CUDA support has already been implemented in the case of the Adobe Flash Player.

Also, not Premiere Elements, but interesting
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/downloads/NV_DS_Quadro_CX_US_Oct08_LowRes.pdf
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_62559.html

ATR

BoilermakerU
February 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Exactly what I was looking for. I guess I'll wait for my Powerball numbers to come in before going that route! LOL

Sounds like I should stick with what I have for now and wait for nVidia to resolve driver issues and/or for the technology to become more mainstream...

Thanks.

ATR
February 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
BoilermakerU

If you have not already, take a look at the use of the Ozpeter method in your AVCHD workflow.

Please keep us updated on your progress. I am still working on getting a response ready for one of your other threads....hopefully posted before midnight today.

ATR

Bob Chadwick
February 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
...wait for nVidia to resolve driver issues...

And there do appear to be driver issues, at least with the 32 bit version of Win7. I get temporary screen lockup a couple of times a week with the message that the video driver/program quite responding.

ATR
February 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Bob Chadwick

If I recall from BoilermakerU's other thread, Windows 7 64 bit operating system is involved there.

I get temporary screen lockup a couple of times a week with the message that the video driver/program quite responding.
When you get the message that the video driver/program quit responding, what do you have to do to restore the system to working order?

What NVIDIA card do you have and what version of Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro are you running? For that matter, does this lockup occur even if you are not running Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?

Thanks in advance for the additional details.

ATR

Bob Chadwick
February 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Its the GTS 250 card running PSE 7. The lock up is intermittent and can happen with any program. The problem seems at its worst when I am closing a program down. It's almost like it struggles making the change from one graphics environment to the W7 graphics environment. I don't recall it has happened with PSE. I've been using LR for a while now so I'm not in it that much. Now that I think about it, it hates Quicken 2010.

The system goes down for a short time, maybe up to 30 seconds at worst, I get a little ballon from the system tray and then everything starts working again.

ATR
February 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Bob Chadwick

Thanks. That is good information to have available.

ATR