PDA

View Full Version : Audio format for Disc Burn

Denny
February 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I have mixed some MP3 recordings in PE8 and selected the "share" option to export an MP3 file that now resides on my desktop. There is no video in the project. The goal is to burn this file to a CD-RW or CD-R that would be compatible with most CD players. It needs to be read in a carousel type player at another location. Sorry, I don't currently have the model of it. I'm thinking if I burn it properly and can play it in my car's CD player or clock/radio/cd player it should probably play just about anywhere. So can you give me any advice on which format to burn to? The burning software I have is "Cyberlink Power to Go". It gives me a choice of making an "audio cd, an "mp3 cd", or a "wma cd". I'm confused about which choice is most likely to be read by most players. Any ideas?

ATR
February 10th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Denny,

It gives me a choice of making an "audio cd, an "mp3 cd", or a "wma cd". I'm confused about which choice is most likely to be read by most players. Any ideas?

Yes. I would go with the audio cd choice. It should be a winner.

I used Premiere Elements 8 Share/Personal Computer/Audio, with the MP3 high quality preset (uncompressed stereo). I burned the exported (saved) mp3 to CD using Nero which gave me the same three choices as your software.

Nero Audio CD. CD play back was great on a Sony BoomBox (CD Player). You could see that the player was reading the disc, and, when I pressed Play, it did just that.
The Nero Audio CD is described "Creates a regular Audio CD that plays in all CD players and on PC".

Nero Make MP3 CD. CD did play back fine on that Sony BoomBox. But you could see different programming...first showing a root channel, but the CD did play back well when I pressed the play button.
The Nero Make MP3 CD is described "Creates a data CD from your MP3 files. This CD can be played back on your PC with most media players or on CD/DVD players."

So, based on my mini test run results coupled with the description of the choices, I would go with Audio CD for best compatibility outcome.

When you get a chance, please let me know how it turned out.

Thanks.

ATR

Denny
February 11th, 2010, 08:19 AM
ATR,

I tried the CD burn using the "audio" choice and it worked in 2 of 3 test cases. It played on my computer's multi-drive (cd,dvd) and my car's cd player. It failed on my clock/radio/cd player. In that instance the drive spins when the cd is inserted but cannot find any tracks to play. Only "00" appears where you would expect the first track number to appear. I guess only trial and error will tell me if it will work on the intended target cd player that is not in my posession.

I have never created an mp3 cd. What is that? If anybody knows I'd appreciate the education.

ATR
February 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Denny

Did you see my comments about my use of the MP3 CD option as well as the Audio CD one?

Here is more information about the MP3 CD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3_CD

The above link should answer your questions about differences between MP3 CD and Audio CD with regard to quality and formats used.

Please let me know if that link information helped. I am curious to know if you were about to create a MP3 CD that worked for your clock/radio/CD. If that fails also, please look at the third option of your software, Make a WMA CD to see if that works.

ATR
(the additional testing will give us some valuable information regarding why the Audio CD approach did not work for the clock/radio/CD)

Denny
February 16th, 2010, 09:16 AM
ATR,

Yes, the Wikipedia article did explain it. It appears that my original burn choice of "audio cd" is compatible with the target cd player. I burned a portion of the project and tried it over the weekend. It's good to know about the mp3 format in case the size of the project becomes too large for the other formats. The Wikipedia article says that you can cram more audio in this format. If I test in this format for the clock/radio I will let you know.

ATR
February 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Denny

Thanks for the follow up.

Looking forward to any additional information on that clock/radio CD player.

ATR