PDA

View Full Version : What export options/codec for maximum compatibility?

konrad79
February 10th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Hi,

I want to export my project in PE7 - the size of the exported files doesn't really matter. But I want a maximum of compatibility. The video should be played back on nearly every PC. Thus, what codec or what export options should I use?
What codec is available on the most Windows PCs?

Thank you
Konrad

ATR
February 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Konrad

That is a wide open range with a lot of computers out there with a lot of variations.

I would probably opt for encoding via Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media since "most" Windows come with a Windows Media Player that comes with default supported video and audio formats. See links below.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/995378/make_windows_media_player_a_universal.html?cat=15

http://www.windows-vista-update.com/Windows_Vista_codecs.html#

BUT,
The video should be played back on nearly every PC.
are you referring to giving someone your file on a disc for PC play back or are you referring to someone going to your web site and opening and playing your video embedded in to your web site?

ATR

konrad79
February 10th, 2010, 07:21 AM
That is a wide open range with a lot of computers out there with a lot of variations.

I know - that's why I'm asking ;-)
I'm looking for something like JPEG for photos or MP3 for Music/Audio.

are you referring to giving someone your file on a disc for PC play back or are you referring to someone going to your web site and opening and playing your video embedded in to your web site?

I'm referring to the first one - the video files will be burned on a DVD (as single files) and delivered via snail mail.

I'll try WMV . Thank you :-)

ATR
February 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Konrad

I will be watching for your results.

I ran into the player issue pitfall when I decided to show off a video that I had made by sending friends the link to it at photoshop.com. Took too much for granted. Come to find out, many of them did not know if they even had the Windows Media Player let alone the required Flash Player in this case.

I also decided to make a DVD-VIDEO version and send them that version. Many of them did not have a DVD player for their TV. I am still waiting to find out if their Windows Media Player (if they had one) had a plugin to play DVD-VIDEO. Next, house call with .wmv version burned to a DVD-R disc which their computer "should" handle.

So, I appreciate your beforehand concern for your audience and trying not to take anything for granted. But, just make sure that you add into the consideration mix the type of DVD disc as well as the media on it.

ATR

ATR
February 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Add On....

Just to double check....your concern about computer play back compatibility of your export is just for PC not Mac as well?

ATR

fotoflair
February 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Konrad, what if you provided two versions of your video on DVD and added a readme file, both on the DVD as well as in print? If you don't know what a readme file is, it has instructions and pertinent information in order to use what is being provided.

Also, you can give the audience one more option: access the video from some website and send link via email or hard copy letter via snail mail. If the user doesn't have Windows Media Player, then they can associate .wmv files to a browser. If an individual does not have a plugin, doesn't the browser prompt the user to d/l one?

If providing an .flv file, there are free players out there that perhaps you can provide on the dvd or send a link to the player. Moyea FLV player is free and is what I use; you'd need permission to distribute.

Just a few thoughts...

ATR
February 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Mindy

Thanks for your suggestions. We will look forward to konrad79's response, especially the ability of konrad79's audience to deal with more than inserting a DVD disc into a computer drive and getting play back via a suitable commonly available computer (PC) program like Windows Media Player.

ATR

fotoflair
February 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hi ATR, I just had another idea: a flash drive for those who don't have DVD. Surely everyone has a USB port? And there might not be that many without DVD drives, because it might get costly providing too many flash drives.

Another thought. It happens sometime. ;)

ATR
February 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Mindy,

Good idea in principle. I am not pushing a DVD disc as the media, but I would agree that the DVD disc would be less expensive than USB Flash Drives for everyone.

It is still the file format/size and its chances of the larger portion of the audience having a player to play back the file. The way of getting that file into the computer is another important aspect of the matter...DVD disc, USB Flash Drive, download from a web site....

There are all sorts of possibilities.

ATR