PDA

View Full Version : Create graduated sky filter?

alexander_geoff
February 6th, 2010, 08:53 AM
How do I create a graduated sky filter for use in PE? We see it often on TV where the upper part of the sky is darkened or coloured, gradually fading. I know it's someting to do with a matte, such as used in wipes. I know also that I should be able to create such a matte in Photoshop and import it into PE but I don't know exactly how to do it.

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM
alexander_geoff

To what are you going to apply this effect, photos in Premiere Elements or videos?

It sounds like you are referring to post camera neutral density effects that can be simulated in Photoshop.

Any online examples of the desired effect??

ATR

alexander_geoff
February 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
http://vimeo.com/7556112

Use for video.
This link shows the effect. The same effect can be seen in many editions of Top Gear.

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM
alexander_geoff

You did not say what version of Premiere Elements that you are using. For now, I will assume it is Premiere Elements 7. This is just something that I came up with and seems to work for me. I need to explore other alternatives if need be.

1. In Photoshop Elements 7, create a black matte gradient.
File Menu/New/Blank Document using the Video Preset so that the file would match my intended Premiere Elements 7 project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Standard.
a. New Document, 720 x 480 pixels with Background Content = Transparent.
b. In Photoshop Elements 7, Foreground Color = Black; Background Color = White.
c. Applied a "Foreground to Transparent" gradient to the layer, in the center of the image, drawing the mouse cursor from top to bottom moving down vertically to get the most appropriate gradient.
d. File Menu/Save As, saving as .psd.

2. In Premiere Elements 7, project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Standard. Edit Menu/Preferences/General with "Default Scale to Frame Size" checked.
a. Video on Video Track 1; copy of Video on Video Track 2; gradient matte from Photoshop Elements on Video Track 3.
b. Highlight Video on Video Track 2. Go to Effects/Video Effects/Keying, and apply the Track Matte Key to Video on Video Track 2. Then, with this video highlighted, bring up the Properties Palette, Track Matte Panel, and set: Matte = Video 3 and Composite = Matte Alpha.
c. While Video on Video Track 2 is still highlighted, you could adjust the brightness of the video in Properties Palette/Image Control/Brightness option AND when you highlight the Video on Video Track 1 you can adjust the brightness on the video in Properties Palette/Image Control/Brightness.

I have not tried it yet, but you could experiment with a gray, instead of black, gradient matte.

Please let me know if any of the above is going in the right direction.

To be continued....

ATR
Does your camcorder come with a neutral density filter?

alexander_geoff
February 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Spot on!! PE7.
As to a neutral density filter-this would not achieve what I want as when filming, I'm exposing for a particular part of the frame on the foreground, which may cause the sky to be over exposed thus needing some adjustment during editing.

I look at the demos of Magic Bullet, which does this sort of thing so easily but at a substantial price and of coures does not support Elements.

Your explanation will now free me up to try a variety of adjustments I have wanted but have not know how to achieve. Thanks:)

ATR
February 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
alexander_geoff

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know that will work for you.

Looking forward to learning of your continued progress.

ATR