PDA

View Full Version : AVI not supported?

CrusingHOG
February 5th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hello,

I just bought Elements and Premier 8 and successfully installed it and "loaded" about 50,000 pictures into the organizer.

I can open and view my stills and AVI videos (Nikon camera) in the Elements program.

I tried now to set up a project, where I wanted to cut some of the short movies. Unforunately, when I open Premiere, I can see the thumbnail of the video, but when I double click on it, I get the error message: "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

What am I doing wrong?

Regards, CruisingHOG

CrusingHOG
February 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Quick update... the error message I can see is "unsupported audio rate in file".

I don't have any issues watching (and listening to) my movies in Windows nor the elements 8 program. I just can't open them up in premiere 8.

Any help is greatly appreciated

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
CrusingHOG

Premiere Elements questions should be placed in the Premiere Elements Forum here so that they do not get mixed, lost, overlooked with the Photoshop Elements ones.

I will be watching for your thread there.

The first question that I will be asking is what type of ".avi" do you have?
AVI is a wrapper format that can contain any one of a number of possible codecs (compression types), example DV AVI, MotionJpeg AVI, etc.

The model of the Nikon (source of the video) would help in answering this question. A popular approach to getting this type of information as well as other video properties is to put the video through the free utility called gspot.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

ATR

Wendy
February 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I'll move the thread over for you :)

Wendy

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Wendy,

Thanks for the transfer.

ATR

CrusingHOG
February 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM
file:///C:/Users/DDTJJ/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngHello ATR

Thank you for your tips. I downloaded the tool and run the file through. That's what I see:

AVIv1.0
Video: 27.7MB(98.71%)
Audio: 344kb (1.225)
AVI Overhead: 19.3KB (0.07%)
Video:
Codec MJPG Name: Motion JPEG
Audio:
Codec: PCM Audio
Info: 11025 Hz 176kb/s (1chnl)
Stat: NoCodecRequired
Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests
GSpot
Vid1 Aud 1 MS A/V 1

Not sure what that all means....

But, I can play the movie in Windows 7 and Elements; it just gives me the error message when I try to open it in Premiere Elements 8.

thank you for you help.

ATR
February 8th, 2010, 10:31 AM
CrusingHOG

Download and install the LEAD codec and see if that solves the problem.
http://download.cnet.com/Lead-MJPEG-MCMP-Video-Codec/3000-13631_4-10043871.html
That should do it.

If that does not do it, then try the Morgan codec.
http://www.free-codecs.com/Morgan_M-JPEG_Codec_download.htm
Both the LEAD and Morgan codecs are codecs for the MotionJPEG video codec (compression) of your video.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR
Do not forget to disable Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features when using Premiere Elements 8.

CrusingHOG
February 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
ATR

I have installed the LEAD codec ... and it works. Fantastic!!!

Thank you so much.

I have also disabled the auto rendering function and the auto analyzer. Thx for that too.

I have one more question:

Where is a good starting point for me to learn how to use the program? What I would like to do is watch training videos "in a structured way" . I have seen some "tips-videos", but they are not helpful for me at this time as I'm still missing the "structured intro". Any hints on where to start is highly appreciated.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards

ATR
February 8th, 2010, 09:03 PM
CrusingHOG

That was great news that brightened my evening.

I have had some setbacks in my computer system tonight. My Widescreen Computer Monitor just expired. I drafted the LCD TV which can double as a PC Monitor, but then I have no TV. So, for now I have reverted to the previously retired Standard Monitor. So, I need to get my eyesight adapted to the current situation until I can plot strategy. Any mistakes in typing, I will blame on the Standard Monitor.

As for learning tools, I favor the Premiere Elements Help PDF Help accessed from the Premiere Elements workspace Help Menu. But, I understand other prefer books. I am not promoting the site, but to get a good idea of what is available book-wise for Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8, the amazon.com site list should give you an overview. The Steve Grisetti book and the Classroom in a Book Series by the Adobe Creative Team should be explored. But I think that you get the best idea of what is happening in forums here and elsewhere.

Did you see the free video tutorials at the following site?
http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/premiere-elements-8-for-windows-essential-training.html

I would give the Help PDF and some exploration and experimentation a try and then decide if you need to invest in further training ventures.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

ATR