PDA

View Full Version : Burning Errors - ronvera

ATR
February 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Ron has some issues regarding Premiere Elements burning errors that were posted at the end of another recent long thread in this forum.
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54513&page=5

Problems often have the same symptoms but different causes. So that his specific situation would not get lost at the bottom of another thread, we are starting a new thread here on the matter.

error burning
Hi
Ron here.
Had a 6 year old HP using PRE 2. Worked great to make movie DVD's.
Got tired of the 2+ hours to create the final files for the DVD.
So I got PRE 8 and a new computer.
HP 2010 1TB disk 8GB ram with Windows 7.
Created a 56 minute video. Nothing fancy.
Died trying to burn to a folder at the 96% spot.
Then gave error message:
"Device error. Target device isn't suitable for use"
After reading the other replys, I turned off background rendering.
Tryed again.
Reached 96% hung 5 minutes, went back to 95%, hung another 5 minutes,
then back to 96% and hung there for ever.
Canceled the operation. No other option at this point.
Checked the folder I was burning to.
It had the 2 folders I am used to seeing. OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS.
Looked into the folders and found what I expected.
Looks good so far. Didn't like having to use cancel to get there.
One or more files may not be correct.
Used Windows Exployer to burn a DVD.
The DVD played on my computer but my DVD player said Invalid Disk.
Never had this problem with the old computer with XP using PRE 2.
I think Adobe's got a problem here. Perhaps with Windows 7.
Burn to folder never completed successfully.
Any idea's?
Ron

We will discuss and hopefully resolve these issues in the posts to follow in the thread in which we are now.

ATR

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Ron

The first question that I need to ask is "Do you have Nero Burn Software" installed on your computer or have you ever had?" Nero is notorious for creating driver issues on the computer. So, let us see if we can rule that in or out.

Next, what exactly are you putting on that Premiere Elements 8 Timeline for Share/Disc/Disc DVD (4.7 GB Folder)?
What is the Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) being used...NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen or PAL counterpart?

Have you disabled AutoAnalyzer (Elements Organizer accessed from Premiere Elements 8 via the Organizer Tab in row below the Organize Tab)?

I am working on a plan where you burn whatever you have in the VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD disc with a free software such as ImgBurn, rather than Window Explorer CD DVD copying route. More on that later this afternoon.

ATR

ATR

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Ron

Let us explore just what is in that VIDEO_TS folder that you recovered at what you see as 96% completion of the process.

I do not believe that the CD/DVD "copying" options of Windows Explorer are appropriate for obtaining your DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc that will play back on the TV via its DVD player.

Typically you need a burn software with a Burn Video Files option. If you do not currently have one that fits that bill, then how about downloading and installing the free ImgBurn.
http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html

Open ImgBurn (do not even attempt to turn off the log dialog box that appears)
In the interface, click on the option "Write files/folders to disc"
File Menu/Browse to Source, which will be just your VIDEO_TS Folder.
Destination: will be your computer DVD burner.
Have a check mark next to Verify. And, have the DVD disc in the DVD burner tray (DVD-R or DVD+RW is OK, but this will depends on what type of disc your DVD player supports.)
At the bottom left of the interface, click on the Disc (named Build, it is to the right of the green arrow).
Click Yes to the next one or two messages.
Wait.
When the process shows 100% on the "Complete" line, do not be alarmed when the DVD burner tray automatically quickly opens and closes.
When the job is done, the program gives you a blast of "off to the horse races sound" and shows that message "Operation Successfully completed".
The program does have a personality of its own, but it works.

It is important to know just how productive your Premiere Elements 8 process is. And, I am hoping that these actions will define that.

ATR

ronvera
February 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the reply
I don't have anything called Nero Burn on my computer.
I disabled AutoAnalzer in the organizer.
The movie is 56 minutes of AVI clips with 1 scene marker.
It has a main and scene menu.
Using NTSC DV standard and burning to a folder.
Tryed again and it paused 15 minutes at 96%.
I waited another 10 minutes and it continued.
It started another timer that stalled at 74 minutes.
I waited another 10 minutes and it completed it's task with a good message.
I then burned a DVD-R disk using windows explorer.
I can play it on my computer but not on my DVD player.
Previous DVD's made with Premire 2.0 on an XP computer and
burned with Sony Record Now software always worked.
Now, is it the Adobe software or the Burn software?
I am a retired windows programmer so I sometimes over-anlysis problems.
I would think the burn program would'nt be a problem.
I suspect the files are created different from Adobe 2.0 to 8.0.
The names and number of files seem to be the same.
I loaded my old 2.0 Premire unto my new system.
It crashed the operating system when I tried to edit text color.
Not compatable with windows 7.
Now I have 2 Premire versions that don't do the job.
I'll have to try Adobe support I guess.
If anybody has problems with Adobe Premire using Windows 7, please help.
Thanks
Ron

ronvera
February 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks
I am downloading the burn program you suggested.
I will try it and let you know if it works.
Ron

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Ron

I would not have expected Premiere Elements 2.0 to function properly in Windows 7. Even Premiere Elements 7 is not listed as compatible with Windows 7 (only version 8) at this time. However, in the case of Premiere Elements 7, there are several reports of users successfully operating the program in Windows 7.

Previous DVD's made with Premire 2.0 on an XP computer and
burned with Sony Record Now software always worked.
Burning video files with Sony Record Now is NOT the same as copying VIDEO_TS to a DVD disc with Windows Explorer CD/DVD copying. I tried to explain that in my previous post. That is why I suggested the free ImgBurn in place of Windows Explorer route. All my Premiere Elements software is working find, yet, if I do a burn to folder, and copy the VIDEO_TS to a DVD with the Windows Explorer route, IT DOES NOT WORK to get TV play back.

Are you telling me that in spite of the stop and go and stop and..., you still manage to get a playable file from the VIDEO_TS from Premiere Elements 8? If so, you will get your desired results using ImgBurn as I mentioned.

But, I am curious. It would appear, even in the days of Premiere Elements 2, you were using burn to folder. Why? Did you ever try the burn to disc?
The burn software in Premiere Elements 2.0 and 8.0 are both Sonic. After version 2.0 and the introduction of HDV options, the software had to undergo some updating. But, it still works, at least in my Premiere Elements 2.0, 4.0, 7.0, and 8.0. I have Windows XP Professional SP3. Yet, recent reports suggest that Premiere Elements 8.0 works best in the Windows 7 environment (as compared to Windows XP and Vista).

Even if you have a DVD burner whose firmware needs updating or has driver issues, you should still be able to burn to folder. Have you taken the time to explore:
a. removing the DVD Menu and the scene marker to see if that gets the burn to folder completed.
b. have you defined the source of your .avi files that you have been using..what kind of .avi are they?
c. have you explored the possibility that the placement of a transition is creating the issue

There are plenty of avenues to follow and troubleshoot systematically.

Adobe does offer free troubleshooting for installation issues related to purchased, registered, current version...and even, I believe, a 30 money back guarantee. So, it would be to your advantage to contact them as soon as possible so that you do not lose any rights in this matter.

Whatever the outcome, I can still support you in troubleshooting, if you want.
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html

My major objective is to get you moving forward in your projects. So, please let me know what you decide.

ATR

ronvera
February 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Just finished.
Did exactly what you said to do.
It worked great.
Plays on my DVD player.
Thanks so much.
Now I have to find my way around Premire 8.
I hope somebody will publish a book.

I have premire 2.0 in a snap.
Very good. Will use it for now.

Thanks again
Ron

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Ron,

That was great news.

There are numerous books out there on Premiere Elements 8. I prefer the Premiere Elements 8 Help PDF which can be accessed with no additional cost via the program's Help Menu.

I am not promoting amazon.com, but just using them as one example of what is out the for these books:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Premiere+Elements+8&x=0&y=0

Examples include:

Premiere Elements 8: The Missing Manual by Chris Grover

Adobe Premiere Elements 8 Classroom in a Book by the Adobe Creative Team

The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 8: (Color Version) The tools, and how to use them, to make movies on your personal computer (Volume 1) by Steve Grisetti
(Steve Grisetti was a co-author of the Premiere Elements 2 book that you like)

With your experience as a windows programmer, you should do just fine. Stick-to-it-tiveness, exploration, and experimentation will go a long way to successful projects.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

ATR
(keep in mind that Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of 64 bit systems and as such has all the limitations of 32 bit...Premiere Pro CS4 is also still 32 bit, BUT it has been optimized for 64 bit....)