PDA

View Full Version : Video doesn't play

Whizzo
February 5th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I am trying out a trial copy of Elements 8 but can't get the video to play. I can step through video a frame at a time but when I press the play button I don't get video. I get audio and the curser moves along the timeline with the counter incrementing.

I also notice that when I switch between applications using the windows taskbar the area on Elements used for video playback doesn't referesh and I get the contents of the previous application screen in the video window.

If I double-click the video in the timeline to open a floating preview window the video doesn't play here either, expect that I can't click through frames.

I gave seen a few threads on this topic but wondered if there is a sticky or something of troubleshooting ideas?

Whizzo

Wendy
February 6th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Hi Whizzo ..

... and welcome to the village :)

Are you using Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements ??

Wendy

Whizzo
February 13th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I am using Premiere Elements 8, trial version. I wanted to check the program out before buying full version. I have made some progress by upgrading my video card drivers which restored video play but very jerky. Trying out a sample video everything took a long time to process, even editing the timeline. Then I noticed that memory usage had jumped above my physical memory which is 1GB. It looks like I will need a a lot more RAM to use PE8 as it seems to use 600MB ram whenever it starts up!

Is there a thread on this side that gives advice on recommended spec for PE8 or even Premier Pro (CS4)?

Anyway, looks like I have solved my original problem...drivers...I should have checked that first. Thanks for the help.

Wendy
February 14th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Hi ...

I will transfer your thread over to the Premiere Elements section :)

Wendy

ATR
February 14th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Whizzo

Lots to talk about. You say you are using Premiere Elements 8....

a. That 1 GB installed RAM is not good news...and, you probably have far less than that available. I just noticed that you say it is 600 MB. You did not mention the computer free hard drive space and where the scratch disks are directed, C: Local Hard Drive or external hard drive (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks). Is your computer optimized, defragmented regularly, etc? Are the video and audio drivers updated? Is your operating system 32 bit or 64 bit, but remember that Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application running in the 32 compatibility mode of 64 bit and has the limitations of 32 bit.

b. Computer resource grabbers....Premiere Elements 8 has a greater file size than previous versions. In addition, Background Rendering and Auto-Analyzer features should be disabled. They grab a lot of the resources. What project preset (new project dialog) are you setting before the workspace opens, and what is your intended export of that Timeline?

c. What is this sample file that you are using in your tests? What is the source, format, and duration of what you have on the Timeline? And, are you rendering the Timeline content by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard in order to get the best possible preview of the end product? What does the before/after this type of rendering do to the jerky motion of the display in the Edit Mode Monitor. How does disabling "Enable GPU Playback" affect the situation (See Edit Menu/Preferences/General)?

Besides the program's Help PDF (accessed under the program's Help Menu), the following should be helpful:

Adobe TechNotes
"Troubleshoot digital video playback (Adobe Premiere Elements 8)"
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51526.html
"Troubleshoot problems with AVI, MOV, MPEG, VOB, and other kinds of video files (Premiere Elements 8)
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51528.html

At any rate, that 1 GB installed RAM needs to be increased. The 32 bit max of 4 GB RAM installed is your best bet. But, even then, typically not all 4 GB RAM installed will be available..probably more like 3.0 GB RAM available. And, if you do not have one already, an external hard drive (format NTFS) should be added to the mix for the scratch files and video storage...Premiere Elements program files say on the C Local Drive with the other program files for the other applications. The listings in the program's System Requirements are minimum which are just about enough to install the program.

Is there a thread on this side that gives advice on recommended spec for PE8 or even Premier Pro (CS4)?
Relative Cost
Premiere Pro CS4 is still a 32 bit application but has been optimized by Adobe for 64 bit. From what I have read the next version of Premiere Pro will be 64 bit. (As asked before, do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit system??)

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/systemreqs/
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

ATR

BoilermakerU
February 14th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I can atest to ATR's recommendation on upgrading RAM. It helps. However, if you are editing AVCHD at all, you're going to need a LOT of horsepower. I had the same issue and ended up having to replace my P4 dual core 3.4Ghz with 3GB RAM to a Core i7 quad core. This application is very resource intensive, so be prepared.

Like ATR said, turn off background rendering and auto analyzer immediately. You should also read the stickied thread about editing AVCHD being a pain, there's a solution that helps in there too:

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51400

Just using that solution alone also helped some, even on my old machine. Using that in conjunction with the new machine (or upgrades, depending on your situation) made the editing and playback issues almost non-existent.

ATR
February 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
BoilermakerU

Thanks for your comments.

We still do not know what Whizzo is putting on that Timeline.

Hope to get more details on this soon.

How are you doing Whizzo?

ATR