PDA

View Full Version : PE7-Debug Event message

Panther30
February 1st, 2010, 10:43 PM
In the midst of a new project. I'm about 6 minutes into a .mpeg converted timeline. Today, I was unable to open the project. As the data for the project was loading and the progress bar was on the screen, I received a "Premiere Elements Debug Event" window. When I click on the "continue" button, another window says "Premiere Elements has encountered an error." The part of the abbreviated location I can read says .../Video/Video Segment.cpp.55."

After clicking on that, I get a window that says there's been a Runtime Error and the program needed to be abruptly shut down. It happened twice in two attempts to open the project

Any ideas on where this came from and how to rectify it? Once again, many thanks for your help.

ATR
February 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
Panther30

First see if there is anything that might help in the following AdobeTech Note on troubleshooting damaged projects:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404999.html

At this time, can you still open other projects, that is, is this new project the only one that will not open?

As always, check your computer resources, need for defragmentation, and try opening the new project
a. from AutoSave
b. from project.prel located at C Local Drive as Save (My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/7.0)

Any major differences in this new project than previous?

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

Panther30
February 2nd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Tried several of the basic steps suggested. Still can't open the project. The debug event message keeps appearing. I tried to open an archived project from my external drive and the same debug event message appeared.

However, when I opened a new project and added 10 or so clips to the timeline and saved it, I was able to open it again without a problem.

Since I was only about 6 minutes into editing the now corrupt project, should I just start over? Problem with proceeding that way, I suppose, is that there's always a danger of whatever created the problem coming back again.

Another mystery is why it gave me that debug event message when I tried to open an old completed project stored on an external drive.

In the meantime, I will defrag the drive that contains the corrupt project and its video footage and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again.

ATR
February 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
Panther30

Another mystery is why it gave me that debug event message when I tried to open an old completed project stored on an external drive.

In that case, did you copy the old completed project to the C Local Drive and try to open it there? Was the old completed project a project.prel in one of the Project Archiver Folders or just a regular Save As?

Since I was only about 6 minutes into editing the now corrupt project, should I just start over? Problem with proceeding that way, I suppose, is that there's always a danger of whatever created the problem coming back again.

That is a hard call. If it were only this 6 minute project, I would favor moving forward with a new project. However, since you are having a problem with another project (the old one) as well, let us see if we can find out the reason behind the problems with this 6 minute project and the old project.

Make sure that you are careful about the location from which you are opening the project.prel as well as not relocating any of the source media that went into the project.prel.

I will be watching for your results.

ATR

Panther30
February 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
I tried to open the old project .prel from an external drive. It was not moved to my C: drive. To do that, I would have to also move all the footage associated with it, correct? Seems labor intensive.

The corrupt project is not 6 minutes long (for clarification). I have 3 hours of .mpg footage on the timeline. I'm trying to cut it down to under an hour, but am only 6 minutes in.

Thanks in advance.

ATR
February 3rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
Panther30

To do that, I would have to also move all the footage associated with it, correct? Seems labor intensive.

No. Use Windows Explorer and move just the project.prel file from the external hard drive to the C: Local Drive, maybe to My Documents. Did you ever say if this was a Project Archiver saved old project?

I have 3 hours of .mpg footage on the timeline.
Is it time for computer cleanup, defragmentation, etc? That quote relates to this new project. What is the size of the old project that you are trying to open from the external hard drive and will not. What is the format of that external hard drive....NTFS?

To be continued...

ATR

Panther30
February 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
The old project is 44 mins and is the original .prel stored on a back-up drive for safe keeping. It is not a project archiver file.I will use the explorer method to test it on the C: drive. This new project is incomplete, the 3 hours of clips are unedited. The footage is stored on a D:Driv
Not sure what NTFS means.

ATR
February 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Panther30

Typically external hard drives can be found formated NTFS or FAT32. If the drive is formated FAT32, then it needs to be converted to NTFS.

The route that I use to check that out is:
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disc Defragmenter.
At that place there is a designation for "File System".
In that area you should see the external hard drive under volume and the NTFS or FAT32 under File System.

Here is just one online link that talks about NTFS and FAT32.
http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/external-hard-drive-ntfs-or-fat/50673.html

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

Panther30
February 3rd, 2010, 11:27 PM
Checked like you asked. All my drives are NTFS, external and otherwise. Moving that old completed .prel from last month to my C:Drive didn't change the end result, which was the Debug Event message appearing right when the editing workspace began to open.

Not really sure why a successfully completed old project won't open now. I thought this was an isolated incident tied to my new project. FYI: For all projects, the old one now all stored away, and the current one I'm working on, I store all my original .MTS files, their converted .MPEG cousins, and the project .prel on a D:drive while my PE7 program resides on the C:drive.

One of your previous posts mentions uninstalling and reinstallling PE7. Since I purchased the software online (with separate, hard to find downloads for the DVD art), the idea is far from attractive. So break it to me gently if its come to that.

Thanks for hanging in once again. At least I got through one project last month without having to harrass you.

ATR
February 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Panther30

Let us not think about uninstall/reinstall just now.

Did you try
7. Test to see if individual media files are causing the problem.
that was in the AdobeTech Note about troubleshooting Damaged Projects?

That one sounds like a good next step.

What do you think?

ATR

Panther30
February 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Check each clip from both projects? That's several hundred individual clips. That seems nuts, doesn't it?

I was able to open a new project and add 10 or so clips to that without incident. Does that mean anything?

Thank you again!

ATR
February 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Panther30

7. Test to see if individual media files are causing the problem.Individual media files may cause the problem in your project. To determine if an individual file is causing the problem, unlink all of the files, and then relink them one at a time to see if one of them re-creates the problem.

To unlink media files:

Close your project.
Move your source files (video, audio, still files) to a different location on your hard drive.
Open your project. You will see a "Where is File [filename] ?" dialog box.
Click Skip All. If there is nothing wrong with the project file, then it will open with all the media in offline status.

What I had in mind was PART 1 quoted above from the Adobe TechNote. Depending on those results, you could then decide if it was worth the time to go through Part 2, picking your most likely culprit(s).

I was able to open a new project and add 10 or so clips to that without incident. Does that mean anything?
No. Because in their day the old project and the current problem project also opened at one time or another.

Work with a copy of each of the project prel files that are not currently opening. Try to open them one more time from the Save As copy. If worse comes to worse, see if giving the Save As a new name helps. Reflecting on your comments, are you telling me that the media for those projects are gone or scattered over the computer at this time? Then Part 1 considerations will indeed be labored if you do not know where all that media are so that you can move them as per Part 1.

Also double check to make sure that you do not have a pile up somewhere on the computer that needs cleaning out.

Part 1 of that Section 7 might give us some leads as to cause to correct current problems and avoid future problems.

Please check out the above and then we will plan strategy accordingly.

There is always moving ahead with fingers crossed, but it a risky business.

ATR

Panther30
February 4th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I carried out the tasks associated with #7, per your suggestion -- testing to see if individual media files are causing the problem.

I moved the source files from the current project I was working on. I removed .mpeg files in bunches, moving them from their current position on the D:drive to a newly created folder on the C:drive. With each test, a few more clips were moved. Each time I opened the project, I'd get the "Where is the File", I'd click Skip All and the same Debug Event message would appear. I did this until all the files were removed from D:Drive -- and even, devoid of video files, the 'ol Debug Event would emerge. There were a couple of title clips on that project's timeline, I suppose, that I didn't move to another location on the hard drive. They would be stored in the Media Cache folder? I could try moving those, too. However, I have a strong feeling it won't be the solution.

I also copied that same new project and put the copy in the C:drive rather than its current location on the D:, tried to open it, same result. Although, technically, it wasn't a Save As because I can't open the file to begin with. Is copying the unopened .prel accomplishing the same test?

I did not test the old .prel that was moved onto the C:Drive from my external back-up drive, for I suspect the results will be strangely similar.

Thanks for hanging in there with me and for your prompt responses. Let's hope we can figure this out sometime soon.

ATR
February 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Panther30

I am trying very hard trying to avoid the uninstall/install for many reasons, least of which is that there are no guarantees.

Getting back to that Troubleshooting Damaged Projects AdobeTech Note...

Did you go through the purging the Adobe Folder/Folders, not the project .prels?

Did you do the Plugin Cache troubleshooting?

Did you try to open Premiere Elements and the project from a new User Account with Administrative Priviledges?

Were you ever able to open any AutoSaves of the project?

How are you progressing on rebuilding this problem project?

ATR

ATR
February 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Panther30

I am just about to call it a day, but thought that I would see how you were doing with opening that old project as well as the more recent one.

ATR

Panther30
February 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Copied all the files from the old project from the external drive to C drive. Tried to open the project, got the Debug message. When I tried to open that same old project without the video files assigned to it (i.e. Skip All) the project opened (with clips offline) So, at least with the old project, it seems video file related, not .prel related.

Still no luck with the new project.

The Plug-in cache procedure is listed only if you can't open a new project successfully, which I can.

Not sure how to approach this with a New User Account with Administrative privileges. How do I do that?

The AutoSave I have for the new project did not open successfully either. Haven't tried it on the old. If I kept any for it, I'll check.

Not sure what you mean by purging the Adobe folders. I moved the location of all the projects files. Is that what you mean?

I'm going to defrag my C drive tonight, just to say I tried that, too.

Also not sure what you mean about "progressing on rebuilding this problem project." I can't open it, even after moving all its source material from drive to drive. You mean starting over on a new one?

Thanks in advance.

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Panther30

For New User Account
In my Windows XP Professional SP3, the route is Control Panel/User Accounts/Create a new account
See
http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.creating.accounts.html
This means that you create a new User Account with Administrative Priviledges. DO NOT delete any existing User Accounts.

Not sure what you mean by purging the Adobe folders.
When you create a new Premiere Elements project, you should find in the Adobe Folder (default location My Documents/Adobe) folders and files associated with the project.prel as well as the project.prel file itself. I am saying delete the contents for the previews and media cache folders for starters.

Also not sure what you mean about "progressing on rebuilding this problem project." I can't open it, even after moving all its source material from drive to drive. You mean starting over on a new one?
Yes, I mean "Is your new project progressing with problems (saving/closing/reopening) as you add the contents to it in order to get what was in the problem project.prel?"

I was happy to learn of the break through with the old project. It might be helpful to follow up on the source of the media causing the issue, if not piece by piece, maybe groups of media, one by one.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

Panther30
February 6th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Went into User Accounts. I'm already a system administrator.

I've purged the previews and media cache folders.

I've deleted the application preferences file (#3 on the troubleshooting list)

I re-created the PluginCache file (#4) by holding down the shift key while choosing Start>All Programs>Adobe PE7. I'm not really sure it changed anything. There's never really an indicator of change when the Select Intial Workspace window appears.

I've unlinked and moved source files in various groups sizes, trying to pinpoint a problem clip. But the clips in these two trouble projects draw from completely different source files.

Again, the old project opens if I Skip All (wth source files appearing as offline). The new (initial problem) project does not open (Debug Event) even if I click Skip All.

Again, the new test project I opened a few days ago with 10 source files from the new "trouble project" in its timeline continues to open without complication. Maybe I should continue to add the same clips in the same order as the trouble project and see what happens. Still can't explain why it would happen to an old project that was put to bed successfully a month ago.

Still hard to pinpoint if it's a software glitch or a project source glitch.

Once again, thanks for sticking with it for me.

ATR
February 6th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Panther30

Went into User Accounts. I'm already a system administrator.

Does not matter. You just set up an additional account, different user name but account with Administrative Priviledges.

For various strange happenings it has proved successful...but no guarantees.

I need to call it a day.

To be continued....

ATR

Panther30
February 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Okay, I went in under a new user name with administrative privileges. Here are the windows that followed upon trying to open the newer of the two trouble projects:

Open Default catalog
Found default catalog. Trying to open the default catalog
Clicked OK

Where is the file '[first file in the timeline']?
I clicked on that first file in it's current location. PE7 then took the time to find all the source clips that followed it in the same location. Took a few minutes.

Premiere Elements Debug Event
Premiere Elements has encountered an error
[..\..\Src\Video\Video Segment\.cpp-55]
Clicked OK

Premiere Elements Window
Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project.

I detailed the messages this time because maybe the key lies in the [..\..\Src\Video\Video Segment\.cpp-55]. Is there a way to find where this path lies? It's been the consistent path listed with this project. Might be the source of the issue, correct?

I think we've covered all the trouble-shooting steps, except the PE7 uninstall/install.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Many thanks.

Panther30
February 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I was finally able to open the old project under the new user name. I went to the project and opened in PE7 holding the shift key (to "re-create the PluginCache file:). When it opened, with all source files included, I immediately saved it.

I was then able to open it under the original user name. Whatever it was appears to be gone with the old project.

Tried the same technique with the newer problem project. Same technique. The problem (see last post) still existed.

Anyway, we've eliminated one of the issues, it seems. Inching onward.

Thanks.

ATR
February 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Panther30

Major advance. Can you hear me cheering?

With this current problem project, keep re-trying the same techniques that got the old project opened. You might throw in yet another new User Account for the current problem project.

Do not forget to defragment the computer as frequently as possible in between.

Keep positive thoughts.

ATR

Panther30
February 15th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I defragged, I performed a disk clean-up as well. That trouble project will not open. The Debug Event window continues to appear. I've also entered under two different user names with admin priveleges.

Unless we can decipher the [..\..\Src\Video\Video Segment\.cpp-55] that comes with the Debug message and approach that specific element, wherever it may be, I feel I may have to scrap the project and start over. Hoping... it doesn't occur again.

Again that old project has somehow been rectified and the new test project with a few random clips on its timeline opens without issue.

Do you feel I should do a unistall/re-install or just push on and create a new project?

Thanks.

ATR
February 15th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Panther30

I would push on with a new project.

If it happens again, then think the complete uninstall/reinstall if it seems like the last possibility.

In the likelihood that this is just this one problem project, I do not want to "rock the boat" and mess up everything else by an uninstall/reinstall.

When you create a new project and close it down for the day, each time are you doing a Save A Copy as well as Save?

ATR

I will do some more homework on that Debug Event Message just in case

Panther30
February 16th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Started the project all over again. Same one. I'm now 22 minutes into it without incident. At the 21 minute mark, I got the Debug message. I exited PE7 immediately without saving (thankfully I saved several times leading up to that point). I opened the project again successfully and continued without further incident.

I have a feeling I know the culprit. The last time it happened as well as this time, it occured right after I stretched a sound dissolve across an ENTIRE subsequent video clip. The sound began skipping like a phonograph record when I tried to playback the timeline, then the Debug Event message appeared. The first time it happened, the mistake I made was saving it AFTER the message, and continuing to work on it -- to the point where all my timed backups eventually became a version of this Debugged project.

No idea how that affected the old project I opened later as a test.

Anyway, food for thought as I cautiously push on with this current project. And, yes, I'm saving versions of it constantly, all over the place because I am now paranoid.

Thanks for getting back to me.

ATR
February 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Panther30

You made a significant break through there, pin pointing....

I stretched a sound dissolve across an ENTIRE subsequent video clip

That does not "sound" like an everyday practice that I hear about. So, consider keeping a log of your more creative editing techniques? In the old project that would not open and that finally was opened under a new User Account with AP, you may have done something similar if not the same???? Transition placement even when not "across an ENTIRE subsequent video clip" has been know to cause these types of problems.

But, that is a good idea of not saving after a Debug Event unless you know that the program is back on course after the appropriate correction.

Looking forward to more good progress reports.

ATR